PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quentin Sims

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Quentin Sims

Sims played the first two years of his collegiate career at Georgia Tech before transferring to Tennessee-Martin. While he wasn't a big name player heading into this year's draft, he does have intriguing size at 6'3" and 208 lbs. He also broke the Ohio Valley Conference record for touchdown catches his senior season with 16.

I didn't want to put this in the Aaron Dopson thread...But this kid Quentin Sims seems to be raising alot of eye-brows with his play. I watched him the last couple of weeks and even read good things about him in Training Camp. Could the Patriots possibly struck gold three times with Sudfeld - Thomkins and now Sims?:eek: I have said this before *don't shoot the messenger* but as much as I know Matthew Slater have a cult following around here. Wouldn't we rather a guy who can play WR in a pinch rather than one who Can't? We also have some *Fragiles* at the position we know their names. This is based on the Quentin Sims/Matthew Slater comparison. I'll also add Based on the eyeball test it seems to me that right now that Quentin Sims is much better WR than Dopson no knock on Dopson I like him. But a UDFA at times can outplay or turn out better than a guy who was a high Draft pick not impossible. BB job will not be easy I see some Tough what the... decisions coming that might shock some people food for thought.

Let's not go overboard here. Simms had a good game last night playing against guys who will be washing cars for a living next week. He might turn into something, but right now he is Bam Childress 2.0. Prior to last night, he had one catch for 14 yards the entire preseason.

He will be a practice squad player assuming he passes through waivers. Prior to last night, I don't even know if he would make the Pats' practice squad. I think last night might have secured a spot on it.

Wouldn't be surprised if he made the team, especially if a WR mysteriously goes on IR, but I don't see it happening.

I don't know if he can play special teams, but I'd like to see someone who can play downs one to three threaten Matthew Slater's roster spot.

Let's not go overboard here. Simms had a good game last night playing against guys who will be washing cars for a living next week. He might turn into something, but right now he is Bam Childress 2.0.

If he stood out among his peers that says something, Dopson was on the field too. Knowing how unfortunate we have been with Rookie WR's in prior years I woudn't want one to slip away. I remember Philly signing Greg Salas a decent WR off our PS last year.

If he stood out among his peers that says something, Dopson was on the field too. Knowing how unfortunate we have been with Rookie WR's in prior years I woudn't want one to slip away. I remember Philly signing Greg Salas a decent WR off our PS last year.

Dobson also played against the 1s and 2s this preseason.

Simms is that guy every year who has a monster game in the fourth game of the preseason against the 3rd teams that people fall in love with him. Bam Childress was the most famous. He never had a real season catch in his career. There was a RB one year (I can't remember his name) who had like 150 yards and two TDs in the fourth preseason game and never played a down in a real game.

Salas is a whole different animal. Salas was not a rookie. He played the prior year for the Rams and had 38 catches for 248 yards. He was somewhat of a proven commodity in that he had real NFL experience. Simms is an UDFA who had a very quite preseason prior to last night. Odds are good that Simms will never play a meaningful NFL down in his NFL career which may be over come tomorrow.

To be perfectly honest with you, if the Pats do cut him and someone picks him off of waivers I don't think it will be the end of the world.

Salas was released by the Patriots last year. He was promoted from the PS on 11/17 then released on 11/22 to make room for Zusevics. PHI claimed him on waivers after he was released.

I didn't want to put this in the Aaron Dopson thread...But this kid Quentin Sims seems to be raising alot of eye-brows with his play. I watched him the last couple of weeks and even read good things about him in Training Camp. Could the Patriots possibly struck gold three times with Sudfeld - Thomkins and now Sims?:eek: I have said this before *don't shoot the messenger* but as much as I know Matthew Slater have a cult following around here. Wouldn't we rather a guy who can play WR in a pinch rather than one who Can't? We also have some *Fragiles* at the position we know their names. This is based on the Quentin Sims/Matthew Slater comparison. I'll also add Based on the eyeball test it seems to me that right now that Quentin Sims is much better WR than Dopson no knock on Dopson I like him. But a UDFA at times can outplay or turn out better than a guy who was a high Draft pick not impossible. BB job will not be easy I see some Tough what the... decisions coming that might shock some people food for thought.

Matthew Slater is strictly a ST player. Not only is he a player but he's a captain of that group that the coaches value highly. So the chances SIms replaces Slater is slim. Sims probably will go to the practice squad, or maybe his performance last night he's on some other teams radar.

rather have slater, he's more likely to make an impact every week. he could be the guy that prevents a long return that loses us a game. sims? maybe he catches one pass if he's lucky. having said that, hopefully he makes practice squad and continue s to develop here.

Also, Sims first touchdown included something like 30-40 yards after the botched tackle by a NYG scrub.

Good candidate for the practice squad, hopefully no one plucks him up before that. But there's no way he's beating out any of the five ahead of him, or taking the spot of someone who can be a regular contributor on ST. The Bam Childress comparison is a good one for now. He showed 3rd stringers who's boss, but that won't translate to real games.

I was just thinking about these two perennial complaints:

1. Making bottom-of-the roster decisions based on special-teams ability rather than skill at a "real" position;

2. Risking the health of major contributors at "real" positions by playing them on special teams.

Put it all together, and I conclude that we should man our special teams units exclusively with minor offensive/defensive talents who are not very good at special teams. I can see no downside in this, since special teams plays aren't real plays.

p.s. teach Mallett to punt already.

Funny thing is so many people view what Tebow and Sims did last night as this huge reason to why Tebow should make the team, in reality what Tebow and Sims did in my opinion hurt Tebow’s chance of making the roster, because now Sims is on peoples radar and has proven to be a player worthy of keeping around to develop further.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sims take the final roster spot over a guy like Tebow, Washington, or A. Wilson, if the Patriots see a ton of upside in him it makes sense, we need receivers long term, and given that the position has to gain the priority of getting that extra roster spot if a player have merited it.

It would seem that Sims is this year's Darnell Jenkins on this forum. :cool:

They're not slim. They're nonexistent.

Have you watched are coverage on kicks and punts during the preseason? Having a $2.5 mil a year special teams only player does not appear to be taking us next level… That unit and its captain better right its ship otherwise I have no issue with them sending the overpaid and overrated Mr. Slater on the next flight out, it gets sort of old reading and talking about how we need to keep all these players who contribute nothing on offense and defense because of their special teams value and then going out and watching those key special teams players get run all over.

Last year we were 13th in the NFL in special despite keeping these guys:

Slater
Cole
Ebner
Rivera
Koutouvides
T. White
M. Williams
D. Martin

When you have 8 players on a roster who add nothing in areas other than special teams to go along with the kicker, punter, and holder you really would aspire to finish higher than 13th in the NFL, ironically the Slater are special teams captain is the 13th highest paid player on are current roster.

OK, putting aside the idea of cutting our All-Pro ST captain in favor of an inactive 6th receiver, back to Quentin Sims.

At 6'3", Sims is no Bam Childress. He looks like a legitimate developmental prospect, albeit a raw one coming out of the Ohio Valley Conference. But he strikes me as precisely the kind of player the practice squad is made for. I do believe he'll clear waivers; I doubt that a nice showing in the 4th preseason game once both teams are sitting pretty much everybody of consequence is enough to make the league swoon.

Have you watched are coverage on kicks and punts during the preseason? Having a $2.5 mil a year special teams only player does not appear to be taking us next level… That unit and its captain better right its ship otherwise I have no issue with them sending the overpaid and overrated Mr. Slater on the next flight out, it gets sort of old reading and talking about how we need to keep all these players who contribute nothing on offense and defense because of their special teams value and then going out and watching those key special teams players get run all over.

Last year we were 13th in the NFL in special despite keeping these guys:

Slater
Cole
Ebner
Rivera
Koutouvides
T. White
M. Williams
D. Martin

When you have 8 players on a roster who add nothing in areas other than special teams to go along with the kicker, punter, and holder you really would aspire to finish higher than 13th in the NFL, ironically the Slater are special teams captain is the 13th highest paid player on are current roster.

Are you going to pretend you have any idea of what goes on in special teams coverage? Honestly, I'd like to know, because when people comment negatively on the general performance of special teamers, it always seems to me as if they don't have any idea of what they're talking about. Especially if you watch games from your couch.

OK, putting aside the idea of cutting our All-Pro ST captain in favor of an inactive 6th receiver, back to Quentin Sims.

At 6'3", Sims is no Bam Childress. He looks like a legitimate developmental prospect, albeit a raw one coming out of the Ohio Valley Conference. But he strikes me as precisely the kind of player the practice squad is made for. I do believe he'll clear waivers; I doubt that a nice showing in the 4th preseason game once both teams are sitting pretty much everybody of consequence is enough to make the league swoon.

I am only comparing him to Childress because everyone fell in love with his 100 plus yard multiple TD performance in the fourth preseason game and the Pats put him on waivers and he easily made it to the practice squad. Not saying Simms' future will end up being the same as Childress' was. I am just saying the situation is similar in a player who didn't do much all preseason has a great preseason game against scrubs and people now think he is worthy of a roster spot.

Simms probably has much more upside than Childress. Still doesn't mean he is anything more than a practice squad player now.

I don't know if he can play special teams, but I'd like to see someone who can play downs one to three threaten Matthew Slater's roster spot.

No offense, Tunescribe, but that's simply not going to happen unless a rookie (A) is capable of playing downs 1-3, and (B) comes into the league as a Pro Bowl-caliber ST player.

Again, Slater is a WR only because the NFL requires the Patriots slap a label that isn't "ST" on him.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back