PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Punt returner options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a listing for a guy in the 2017 draft with 28-3/4" arms. He was over 5'9". I thought, "How TF does this guy even drink beer? With a sippy cup?"
Isn't that what Braxton Berrios also uses?

They were healthy. Cyrus wasn't back up to speed yet recovering from his ACL. The Pats may have been somewhat surprised that he was claimed.

The last time Cyrus played with the Pats (in pres-season #4) was nearly a month ago. We have no idea where things stand now.

He wasn’t claimed. Rather, he signed on to the Ravens PS after clearing waivers, and, presumably after rejecting a Patriot’s offer to join their SC.

IMO, a previous mistake has been corrected. C Jones is of more value than others at the bottom of the roster, now, and on the final cut day.

Belichick waived STer's Bolden and Jones. Both are emergency backups at their positions. We lost both. Now we have Jones back.

The bottom of the roster has 2 developmental players (Crossen and Jackson) and 2 sophomores who are coming back from injuries and are competing for the 4th DE spot (Rivers and Davis). STer Grissom (the replacement for Richards as a Ster) is the #5 emergency GameDay DE.

Some would also consider Croston at the bottom of the roster and a potential cut. Given the injury issues on the OL, I would keep bot Karras and Croston for the indefinite future.

BOTTOM OF THE ROSTER
CB: Crossen, Jackson, C Jones
DE: Davis, Rivers, Grissom

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these cut in a given week, although I have strong feelings that Jones and Grissom should stay.

IMO, a previous mistake has been corrected. C Jones is of more value than others at the bottom of the roster, now, and on the final cut day.

Belichick waived STer's Bolden and Jones. Both are emergency backups at their positions. We lost both. Now we have Jones back.

The bottom of the roster has 2 developmental players (Crossen and Jackson) and 2 sophomores who are coming back from injuries and are competing for the 4th DE spot (Rivers and Davis). STer Grissom (the replacement for Richards as a Ster) is the #5 emergency GameDay DE.

Some would also consider Croston at the bottom of the roster and a potential cut. Given the injury issues on the OL, I would keep bot Karras and Croston for the indefinite future.

BOTTOM OF THE ROSTER
CB: Crossen, Jackson, C Jones
DE: Davis, Rivers, Grissom

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these cut in a given week, although I have strong feelings that Jones and Grissom should stay.

I'd agree that the differences in relative value to the team among positionally-comparable players at the bottom of the roster may sometimes be fairly marginal and are probably often situationally fluid over time.

But this can extend into higher roster levels, too. Britt had less value when he was cut than he does now that he's (ostensibly) healthy.

Rowe appeared to have significantly more roster value than Cy Jones at cutdown time. However, in light of Rowe's performance through the first two games (and now his injury), plus JMac's development, and Cy Jones' return to health, Rowe's relative value may have diminished significantly, at least for now.

Yes, Rowe may now be worth less because of his play and injury. he could even be put on IR.

My point is that I believe the C Jones was a better value than Jackson or Crossen at cut-off time and also now (much more so).

I'd agree that the differences in relative value to the team among positionally-comparable players at the bottom of the roster may sometimes be fairly marginal and are probably often situationally fluid over time.

But this can extend into higher roster levels, too. Britt had less value when he was cut than he does now that he's (ostensibly) healthy.

Rowe appeared to have significantly more roster value than Cy Jones at cutdown time. However, in light of Rowe's performance through the first two games (and now his injury), plus JMac's development, and Cy Jones' return to health, Rowe's relative value may have diminished significantly, at least for now.

Yes, Rowe may now be worth less because of his play and injury. he could even be put on IR.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Although it's not a pressing need at the moment, the roster is "short" one RB.

My point is that I believe the C Jones was a better value than Jackson or Crossen at cut-off time and also now (much more so).

I agree. We don't know what the situation looked like from the Pats' perspective, though.

Jackson, Crossen, and (an not quite ready to go) Jones may have had more or less equal value at the time, and they rolled the dice that Cyrus would be the least likely to be claimed or signed away. At least they were able to get him back from a practice squad.

Interestingly, both Crossen and Cannon traveled with the team to Detroit.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Although it's not a pressing need at the moment, the roster is "short" one RB.

I agree. We don't know what the situation looked like from the Pats' perspective, though.

Jackson, Crossen, and (an not quite ready to go) Jones may have had more or less equal value at the time, and they rolled the dice that Cyrus would be the least likely to be claimed or signed away. At least they were able to get him back from a practice squad.

The fact that the Patriots are paying C. Jones his original pay (instead of the minimum) indicates to me that the Patriots still see potential in him. Heck, they wouldn't have kept trotting him out for so long in his rookie year with all of the yips and muffs if they didn't see something in him. I think they figured that with him looking so bad as a rookie, and then having a major knee injury last year, that he was the most unlikely to not be claimed. However, ol' Ozzie Newsome, he still has a sharp eye and he figured he was at least worth a practice squad space. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back