PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[PSU clarifies - no athletes have this condition - misunderstanding] OT: PSU says myocarditis found in 35% of C19-positive Big 10 athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really just need honest reporting on this kind of stuff.

People ran away with this report without any context. That should be telling.

Can you articulate the context that you feel is lacking?

We really just need honest reporting on this kind of stuff.

People ran away with this report without any context. That should be telling.
All it took was a simple Google search of the Dr named in the article, and voila, he backed tracked, "clarified" and damn near retracted his statement on myocarditis and PSU football. But in the climate the media has created, it's go with whatever looks bad for anything/anyone that questions the China made virus, lockdowns, the mask police or wants a return to life as we knew it before the China made virus hit our shores....

So this is an "extinction" type event? Odin save us!

Headline: #PennState's director of athletic medicine, Wayne Sebastianelli, says that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis.

Context: Actually, no players have tested positive for myocarditis and the 35% number comes from an already-discredited study from months ago.

I'd say that's some pretty important context, wouldn't you?

it is inevitable..........especially with the November 1 vaccine on it's way
You mean the election placebo? So far nothing but a rumor...

this report is a good start. Methodology isn’t fully explained but it’s a good indicator of a potential research direction. Need to see much more work on it, but the initial results are sufficient to justify caution and concern.

it‘s not a well controlled study. can only assume absence of preexisting conditions, although it seem likely athletes would not have myocarditis as a baseline. That’s why it’s a good indicator of a need for future studies.

The accuracy of what the Dr said about the athletes is clearly off and certainly will not help those trying to warn people about long term consequences of Covid infection. However, myocarditis associated with covid survivors is a real, documented issue that needs to be monitored. Myocarditis can have a range of outcomes from full recovery to extensive heart damage and at this stage, the medical community just doesn't have enough data to be making any definitive calls on how severe this issue may become. They need to treat and track.

Myocarditis also sometimes occurs if you're exposed to:

• Medications or illegal drugs that might cause an allergic or toxic reaction. These include drugs used to treat cancer; antibiotics, such as penicillin and sulfonamide drugs; some anti-seizure medications; and some illegal substances, such as cocaine.

Yup.

I don't buy Sebastianelli's assertions but setting setting aside my personal opinion, unless he is in possession of and is willing to provide pre-virus tests of all those same athletes showing them to be clear of "myocarditis"...he can't possibly link anything to the the current virus.

I am sorry this is simply disgusting. The media is grasping at straws to try and make this disease worse than it is. Do some fact checking before you publish articles designed to scare people.

Ian already hit the nail on the head, but please tell the 191K (soon to be 200K) families & friends that have lost a loved one that COVID is "benign".

Have you lost someone close to you to another ailment? Cancer? Heart disease? Auto accident? How would you feel if I claimed any of those things are "benign"?

You mean the 12k that died solely of the coronavirus, not 190k?

Headline: #PennState's director of athletic medicine, Wayne Sebastianelli, says that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis.

Context: Actually, no players have tested positive for myocarditis and the 35% number comes from an already-discredited study from months ago.

I'd say that's some pretty important context, wouldn't you?
Man, I just really hate this. It almost feels engineered to sow division. You get the initial report that looks incredibly bleak, where the group of people who are extremely pessimistic about this virus say "See? Look at how awful this is! You people should be ashamed for not taking this seriously!" But... then not long after, you get the reports that completely refute the initial report and essentially delete it entirely from existence, which causes the opposite group who do not take the virus seriously to say "See? You people are completely ridiculous! Fake news!" And round and round we go...

Somewhere in the middle is a real virus that has killed people, and may have some lingering effects that are worth studying and taking seriously. But situations like this make it increasingly difficult to stay level on the topic.

I only ask that we respect one another throughout these discussions. You need not always agree but you do need to be courteous. Spread information, not poison. We're all dealing with this stuff in one way or another.

You mean the 12k that died solely of the coronavirus, not 190k?
With all due respect, I'm not a fan of this narrative. If you go in for surgery and while you're in a weakened state you contract and die from pneumonia, you died from complications from pneumonia. If you hadn't gotten pneumonia, you wouldn't have died. Just like if those who hadn't contracted COVID wouldn't have died if they hadn't been infected, regardless of their circumstances. People use the motorcycle accident thing all the time...190k people didn't die from motorcycle accidents. It's ridiculous.

No need to downplay it and overthink it and attach any other beliefs aside from that. If those 190k people hadn't contracted COVID, they'd still be here. Simple as that.

Man, I just really hate this. It almost feels engineered to sow division. You get the initial report that looks incredibly bleak, where the group of people who are extremely pessimistic about this virus say "See? Look at how awful this is! You people should be ashamed for not taking this seriously!" But... then not long after, you get the reports that completely refute the initial report and essentially delete it entirely from existence, which causes the opposite group who do not take the virus seriously to say "See? You people are completely ridiculous! Fake news!" And round and round we go...

Somewhere in the middle is a real virus that has killed people, and may have some lingering effects that are worth studying and taking seriously. But situations like this make it increasingly difficult to stay level on the topic.

I only ask that we respect one another throughout these discussions. You need not always agree but you do need to be courteous. Spread information, not poison. We're all dealing with this stuff in one way or another.
Well put Ross.

With all due respect, I'm not a fan of this narrative. If you go in for surgery and while you're in a weakened state you contract and die from pneumonia, you died from complications from pneumonia. If you hadn't gotten pneumonia, you wouldn't have died. Just like if those who hadn't contracted COVID wouldn't have died if they hadn't been infected, regardless of their circumstances. People use the motorcycle accident thing all the time...190k people didn't die from motorcycle accidents. It's ridiculous.

No need to downplay it and overthink it and attach any other beliefs aside from that. If those 190k people hadn't contracted COVID, they'd still be here. Simple as that.
It's as simple as that only if it were portrayed as that from the beginning. If from the beginning we framed it as "deaths resulting from complications related to COVID-19" it strikes differently to the people than "coronavirus death toll."

It's ok to take it seriously, and it should be. It shouldn't be downplayed to just being a cold but it also shouldn't be portrayed as some sure shot death sentence (either immediately or shortly after). 190,000 deaths being used to fuel political decisions and affect people's livelihood when really it's closer to 12,000 if you're a reasonably healthy person is an almost criminal manipulation of statistics

100% agree with this. This stuff really, really frustrates me and the fact this makes it out there is just irritating.

I am sorry this is simply disgusting. The media is grasping at straws to try and make this disease worse than it is. Do some fact checking before you publish articles designed to scare people.

The fact that a media outlet pushes a high-drama headline doesn't mean they have the intent of making the disease worse than it is. That's a huge leap.

Some media outlets use high drama headlines to drive clicks, which drives profits, which keeps people in jobs and improves profits for owners. It doesn't mean they want to make the disease worse than it is. In fact, it is more likely to make people more concerned, and thus would have the opposite impact of what you are saying, by driving down transmission and suffering.

The fact that a media outlet pushes a high-drama headline doesn't mean they have the intent of making the disease worse than it is. That's a huge leap.

Some media outlets use high drama headlines to drive clicks, which drives profits, which keeps people in jobs and improves profits for owners. It doesn't mean they want to make the disease worse than it is. In fact, it is more likely to make people more concerned, and thus would have the opposite impact of what you are saying, by driving down transmission and suffering.
I think he obviously meant that it makes it seem worse than it is. Nobody reasonably thinks an article published automatically makes the disease worse lol

It's as simple as that only if it were portrayed as that from the beginning. If from the beginning we framed it as "deaths resulting from complications related to COVID-19" it strikes differently to the people than "coronavirus death toll."

It's ok to take it seriously, and it should be. It shouldn't be downplayed to just being a cold but it also shouldn't be portrayed as some sure shot death sentence (either immediately or shortly after). 190,000 deaths being used to fuel political decisions and affect people's livelihood when really it's closer to 12,000 if you're a reasonably healthy person is an almost criminal manipulation of statistics
Yes, but at the same time, none of us know if even if we're healthy if we could fall into the category of the few it affected badly who had no other health issues. The 180k number is real and how the death toll is portrayed seems to be how people feel about it. 180,000 due to COVID is accurate, as those who died all passed as a result of contracting it. People are stuck on the "pre-existing" or "underlying" condition angle - again, it's simple, if they had never gotten it, they wouldn't have died. And you're right - the fact it's being politicized is ridiculous, but taking that out, the facts are still the facts. The 12k who died solely from it doesn't change the fact the other 160k would still be here if they hadn't contracted it.

I think he obviously meant that it makes it seem worse than it is. Nobody reasonably thinks an article published automatically makes the disease worse lol

Perhaps in his case, but the politically-driven interpretation of the science has intentionally confused the two.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back