PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[PSU clarifies - no athletes have this condition - misunderstanding] OT: PSU says myocarditis found in 35% of C19-positive Big 10 athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but at the same time, none of us know if even if we're healthy if we could fall into the category of the few it affected badly who had no other health issues. The 180k number is real and how the death toll is portrayed seems to be how people feel about it. 180,000 due to COVID is accurate, as those who died all passed as a result of contracting it. People are stuck on the "pre-existing" or "underlying" condition angle - again, it's simple, if they had never gotten it, they wouldn't have died. And you're right - the fact it's being politicized is ridiculous, but taking that out, the facts are still the facts. The 12k who died solely from it doesn't change the fact the other 160k would still be here if they hadn't contracted it.
I think the point is the other 160k who died could've died of similar illnesses had the coronavirus not existed. I'm not trying to say they don't matter or shouldn't count toward the death toll. But then if you just flip around and tell all Americans "this virus has killed 190,000 people!" it may technically be correct but we all know it won't be interpreted the way it accurately should be. So now you have politicians making speeches referencing these 190k, people getting fined or jailed for not wearing masks because of mandates implemented using this 190k number, businesses shutting down permanently because of this 190k number, etc when things would've gone much more differently if the public was told "if you catch this virus you have a .5% chance of dying, but if you're completely healthy you have a 6% of .5% chance of dying"

Yes, but at the same time, none of us know if even if we're healthy if we could fall into the category of the few it affected badly who had no other health issues. The 180k number is real and how the death toll is portrayed seems to be how people feel about it. 180,000 due to COVID is accurate, as those who died all passed as a result of contracting it. People are stuck on the "pre-existing" or "underlying" condition angle - again, it's simple, if they had never gotten it, they wouldn't have died. And you're right - the fact it's being politicized is ridiculous, but taking that out, the facts are still the facts. The 12k who died solely from it doesn't change the fact the other 160k would still be here if they hadn't contracted it.
The reason why people “are stuck on the pre-existing angle” is because that information should influence our decisions made as a society going forward.

We have quite clearly identified the at-risk groups. We should do everything we can to protect the vulnerable among us. And we should not shut down our entire society when a huge segment of the population is more at risk from car accidents than Covid.

The reason why people “are stuck on the pre-existing angle” is because that information should influence our decisions made as a society going forward.

We have quite clearly identified the at-risk groups. We should do everything we can to protect the vulnerable among us. And we should not shut down our entire society when a huge segment of the population is more at risk from car accidents than Covid.
We weren't the only part of the world that did it and we still don't know the percentage of people dealing with long-term effects...so there's a reason behind all of it, even if not everyone agrees with it. That's also why the approach should stay consistent until there are enough facts to understand every aspect of it. Hindsight always presents things in a different light. But I don't understand why it's being treated for anything other than what it really is.

But it does exist...so...?
1,000,000 people will die this year if I don't take a dump in my shed.

I took a dump in my shed, and 1,000,000 people will still die.

Does me taking a dump in my shed have a direct impact on those 1,000,000 people?

That's my very basic very oversimplified way of getting this point across

1,000,000 people will die this year if I don't take a dump in my shed.

I took a dump in my shed, and 1,000,000 people will still die.

Does me taking a dump in my shed have a direct impact on those 1,000,000 people?

That's my very basic very oversimplified way of getting this point across
Yes, but that's like saying the Patriots will win/lose if I do/don't wear my 15-year old Belichick hoodie. In reality, it has no effect on them. Not quite the same thing.

Again, those people caught it, and it was enough to either stress their body enough to kill them or kill them directly. If they hadn't caught it, they wouldn't have died. Would they die eventually? Yeah, we all will. But they would have lived longer if they hadn't. And again, keep in mind several other people have lost loved ones on here to this so I would try and encourage you and others to be sensitive to that.

We might as well close this thread given the lack of accurate information currently out there on this. It's sort of pointless at this point to try and hold a discussion when there's conflicting reports and a lack of good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back