PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[PSU clarifies - no athletes have this condition - misunderstanding] OT: PSU says myocarditis found in 35% of C19-positive Big 10 athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it hasn’t happened yet, let’s keep this thread about how this might play out with the NFL and avoid any politics, etc. Again, any political references could result in a thread ban, so please be mindful of that.

And that’s crazy news. Hopefully it’s a wake up call for players to be even more careful and aware of what they do, people they hang out with, etc heading into the season.

While it hasn’t happened yet, let’s keep this thread about how this might play out with the NFL and avoid any politics, etc. Again, any political references could result in a thread ban, so please be mindful of that.

it is inevitable..........especially with the November 1 vaccine on it's way

COVID 19 is NOT primarily a respiratory disease, although there are respiratory symptoms.

respiratory issues are prevalent enough, however........so are circulatory

it is inevitable..........especially with the November 1 vaccine on it's way
Still - the goal is to try and keep it from going that way. However, I do wonder with this news how many players will be open to getting vaccinated and whether or not there will be any push-back. I don't know if any of this is in the CBA or if it's been discussed with the player's union, but I'm sure we'll find out.

Honestly this is the kind of thing that scares me more about COVID-19.

Did they really MRI a random sample of athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 though?

Myocarditis also sometimes occurs if you're exposed to:

• Medications or illegal drugs that might cause an allergic or toxic reaction. These include drugs used to treat cancer; antibiotics, such as penicillin and sulfonamide drugs; some anti-seizure medications; and some illegal substances, such as cocaine.

The NBA is handling this well with the bubble. I don’t see why the NFL isn’t doing something similar.

The NBA is handling this well with the bubble. I don’t see why the NFL isn’t doing something similar.

There are more people on two NFL teams, than thier are in the entire NBA bubble. Whats a NBA team? 20 people including coaches and training staff. A single NFL team is at least 60, closer to 100.

The NHL did a great job of keeping the conferences seperate with two bubbles, still that wouldn't work with the NFL schedule.

Plus the field, if every team was at one site, with the most say 2 NFL fields, you would have to play 6 games on each field every Sunday.

do we know how big that sample size was, ie how many big 10 athletes tested positive?

and do we know how many of that 35% resulted in actual damage to the heart? an inflamed heart as a result of your bodies fighting off a virus is a normal reaction, and most if not all mild cases go away as you recover from the infection

so a) i want to know the sample size and b) i want to know the actual severity

note: i haven't had time to research yet......all i have is this tweet and what a coworker said this AM, and he did not have any answers for me either

Well that's not good.

From my non-professional understanding, it's worth taking this number with a grain of salt. These methods & results aren't published / reviewed, so they may not hold up when applied to a wider population, or there might confounding factors which aren't mentioned, etc.

But, kudos to the conference for taking this kind of thing seriously and not sweeping it under the rug. They've obviously made a very expensive and controversial decision to not have games. The history of the sport is full of examples where health was sacrificed for the game.

similar to an enlarged spleen after mono, in mild cases they inflammation goes away on it's own, with no permanent damage......athletes should refrain from athletics for a time period after, much like mono.......

so, again, unto itself this headline really tells us nothing

do we know how big that sample size was, ie how many big 10 athletes tested positive?

and do we know how many of that 35% resulted in actual damage to the heart? an inflamed heart as a result of your bodies fighting off a virus is a normal reaction, and most if not all mild cases go away as you recover from the infection

so a) i want to know the sample size and b) i want to know the actual severity

note: i haven't had time to research yet......all i have is this tweet and what a coworker said this AM, and he did not have any answers for me either

This logical reasoned and lucid approach will not get your far on Patsfans :excited::excited::excited::excited:

I hope the players are well and that they suffer no significant long term effects.
Covid 19 apparently can attack the body in multiple ways. "Surviving" it does not always mean that one is "well."

There are more people on two NFL teams, than thier are in the entire NBA bubble. Whats a NBA team? 20 people including coaches and training staff. A single NFL team is at least 60, closer to 100.

The NHL did a great job of keeping the conferences seperate with two bubbles, still that wouldn't work with the NFL schedule.

Plus the field, if every team was at one site, with the most say 2 NFL fields, you would have to play 6 games on each field every Sunday.

round the clock football would be awesome

Anyone who wants to opt out should be allowed to opt out without penalty.
And anyone who wants to play, should be allowed to play.

Myocarditis also sometimes occurs if you're exposed to:

• Medications or illegal drugs that might cause an allergic or toxic reaction. These include drugs used to treat cancer; antibiotics, such as penicillin and sulfonamide drugs; some anti-seizure medications; and some illegal substances, such as cocaine.

What about steroids? These college kids use drugs in campuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News