PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Proposed kickoff changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterfallJumper

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
We could soon see a very different game.

No running start? I'm guessing these guys can reach top speed by the time they slam into somebody even without it. So all that's going to do is cost them a few seconds down the field while maintaining the same level of violent collision.

With this and the helmet rule. Football will look strange

No running start? I'm guessing these guys can reach top speed by the time they slam into somebody even without it. So all that's going to do is cost them a few seconds down the field while maintaining the same level of violent collision.
It might make some hits slightly less impactful but your likely correct too plenty of full speed hits will still occur.

But it also means the receiving team should be able to set their blocks up better as the kicking team will be a lot slower off the line of scrimmage which could actually result in more returns and undermine the new touchback on fair catches.

Well, BB saw this coming - which is the real reason he traded for Trent Brown. The guy's a freakin' one-man wedge.

;)

On a semi-serious note, I wonder if this has been in the winds and was a factor in the Patterson trade. He was electric already, but I'm wondering what he can do if the coverage team is a few steps behind.

But it also means the receiving team should be able to set their blocks up better as the kicking team will be a lot slower off the line of scrimmage which could actually result in more returns and undermine the new touchback on fair catches.

Yep. Patterson reportedly wearing a big smile. BB the usual..

upload_2018-5-2_22-42-7.png

On a semi-serious note, I wonder if this has been in the winds and was a factor in the Patterson trade. He was electric already, but I'm wondering what he can do if the coverage team is a few steps behind.
Watch the ball sail through the end zone.

Much more room for krs to operate now.
Makes Patterson more dangerous.
Like AJ posted, we might see a lot of kicks thru the end zone, especially if he lights teams up early in year.
Not a bad thing, Brady gets decent field position either way.
Patriots offense, always great, could be something special this year.

Much more room for krs to operate now.
Makes Patterson more dangerous.
Like AJ posted, we might see a lot of kicks thru the end zone, especially if he lights teams up early in year.
Not a bad thing, Brady gets decent field position either way.
Patriots offense, always great, could be something special this year.
But it’s just another rule to take away an advantage the patriots have gained by being smarter and creating a kickoff scheme that uses hangtime on kicks to the goal line to pin teams deep on kickoffs.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but this cuts both ways. Patterson will gain an advantage, but the KRs of teams the Pats face will, too. The Pats players on the kick coverage unit will need to be top-notch and very well prepared. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats devote some significant time during OTAs to practicing as if the new rules were already in place.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but this cuts both ways. Patterson will gain an advantage, but the KRs of teams the Pats face will, too. The Pats players on the kick coverage unit will need to be top-notch and very well prepared. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats devote some significant time during OTAs to practicing as if the new rules were already in place.

Yup, it cuts both ways. But I'm not concerned. Pats always have among the best sts going both ways.
I like the change. Makes kickoffs a little more exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes