PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projection for compensatory picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Jordan and Sanders were released by their former teams.

They would not fit into the compensation formula.

I may be ignorant on this, so feel free to enlighten me.

I thought FA's a team signed could decrease the compensation they receive for FA's they lose.

A 1st and 3rd is not at "the high end" of what's been reported.

No, but a 1st and a 2nd is near the high end, and that's the value I was proposing, and "near" is the word I previously used.

I may be ignorant on this, so feel free to enlighten me.

I thought FA's a team signed could decrease the compensation they receive for FA's they lose.

Could is correct. An FA that doesn't count as a "qualifying free agent loss" for the team that loses him doesn't count as a "qualifying free agent gain" for the team that signs him.

For example, Deltha O'Neal was released, so he doesn't help the Bengals and doesn't hurt the Pats. Similarly, Colvin was signed too late in the year to count against the Pats, regardless of how he became a FA.

No, but a 1st and a 2nd is near the high end, and that's the value I was proposing, and "near" is the word I previously used.

Ok, although that sort of argument undercuts your assertion about third rounders....

To me, it's just a mental exercise, because I'm not even trying to guess what the team is going to get back for Cassel. It's such a unique situation that I'm guessing even the GMs involved (other than, maybe Pioli & BB) are stil not sure of the guy's worth.

Ok, although that sort of argument undercuts your assertion about third rounders....

I might have a better idea as to what you meant if I recalled making any assertions about third rounders other than pointing out their value was much less than that of 2nd or 1st rounders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes