PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Football Hall of Fame candidates

How many Patriots from 01-4 are in? Compare that to other teams that won 3+ titles. Nevermind the 40 years before that.

I won't get them in trouble for 2014-18 years yet but do you really think they are going to be more kind.

I didn't state a reason but it's clear to me there is a bias.
Seymour got in, Law got in, Wilfork was a semi-finalist in 2022 so presumably he’s got a good shot. Moss got in 2018. Seau in 2015. Brady is a lock. I’m sure Rodney will be up for consideration at some point. It took guys like Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Steve Young years to get in after their careers ended. The fact that two were up for consideration, and one got in, just this past year shows there is no bias.

WRs yards had increased by 50% from the first half of Morgan's career to the decade after Morgan retired.
Stat inflation is a reality.

You think I'd take more than maybe five guys to start at QB ahead of Bart Starr?!

Obviously, for me it's about winning.

It was only in 2007 when people started (grudgingly, because he was still with the Patriots) to acknowledge Brady was top caliber.

Now, Stats didn't just start being deceptive in the 80's. Russ Francis is a better player than Dave Casper who is in.

But that brings up the whole Frauders thing, they are Schottenheimer/Coryell whatever they just got gifted a fake Super Bowl in '76.

There are no valid inductees until Gino gets in. Period.
Yup.

And, Houston was the best player at his position on the 60's Pats, who were of course very good.

Just not great, not the best team in any given AFL year, but they got very close more than once. Finishing half a game behind the AFL champion is as close as you can get. We had 11 AFL All-Stars in two different seasons.

In 1981, the media desperately doubled down on the false laughingstock narrative, and wisely so for them, because it was the only losing season we had over 13 years.

Again the problem is that HOF voters care about All Pros more than they care about statistical deep dives.
OK, then explain to me Harold Carmichael. Two time AP Second Team, never made 1st team All-Pro. Same record as Stanley Morgan.

Seymour got in, Law got in, Wilfork was a semi-finalist in 2022 so presumably he’s got a good shot. Moss got in 2018. Seau in 2015. Brady is a lock. I’m sure Rodney will be up for consideration at some point. It took guys like Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Steve Young years to get in after their careers ended. The fact that two were up for consideration, and one got in, just this past year shows there is no bias.
Am I missing a joke here?

Yup. Also Ty Law if you remove him from the context of being a Patriot and being part of the 2000's dynasty, would have had a much harder time getting in. That's a case where you could pretty easily say that being part of the Patriots was what got him in the HOF when he's someone who could have been easily been overlooked without the rings and association
Ronde Barber should get in if they let Ty Law in and I love Ty.

OK, then explain to me Harold Carmichael. Two time AP Second Team, never made 1st team All-Pro. Same record as Stanley Morgan.
All Decade is basically a decade long second Team All Pro

Again the problem is that HOF voters care about All Pros more than they care about statistical deep dives.

Then explain Harold Charmichael's election to the hall. Same number of Pro Bowls (4) as The Steamer and 1 less 2nd team All Pro. He was never an All Pro either. He has lesser numbers than Morgan pretty much across the board.

Oh I don't know about that. This season proves that he was just a system quarterback all along and is now being exposed.
Tom's not on the Patriots anymore! It's been years now, man!

It's okay to say he's great.

His brother has been whining for years publicly on getting him in
However, neither he nor Elway nor anyone else has been whining that those two fake Super Bowls they supposedly won in 1997 & '98 were because they violated the hallowed salary cap, in other words, unlike the Patriots, they actually cheated, and Paul "The Patriots damaged the league" Tagliabue slapped them on the wrist and you never hear "Broncos, repeat offenders", ever.

Some are saying Darren Woodson is a lock. Case for Ronde Barber:

Tackles: Law 845, Barber 1251, Woodson 967

TFL: Law 19, Barber 88, Woodson 26
INTs: Law 53, Barber 47, Woodson 23
Sacks: Law 5, Barber 28, Woodson 11
TDs: Law 7, Barber 14, Woodson 2
FFs: Law 7, Barber 15, Woodson 12
FRs: Law 5, Barber 12, Woodson 11

Awards:
PB: Law 5, Barber 5, Woodson 5
AP1: Law 2, Barber 3, Woodson 3
AP2: Law 0, Barber 2, Woodson 0
SB: Law 2, Barber 1, Woodson 3

Woodson is a 3-time SB winner. Is that the only reason? I don't get it.

Lol all the guys you mentioned were first ballot hall of famers.
They were top of mind. I’m debating the issue with someone who thinks there is a “clear bias” against the Patriots.

All Decade is basically a decade long second Team All Pro
He was elected to the All Decade team decades later by the Hall of Fame voters.

You don't see the redundancy here?

When he was playing, he made 2nd team all-pro twice. That's it.

Not to mention the fact that Morgan played in the same decade as the greatest WR of all time and the WR with the most receptions of all time, so all this after the fact analysis from decades later is not really relevant.

I mean, compare Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, James Lofton and Art Monk to Lynn Swann and Drew Pearson. These are 2 totally different classes of WR.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back