PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Football Hall of Fame candidates

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Here are the HOF candidates for this year in the senior committee:

It appears that they've moved on from Stanley Morgan as they are now considering Sterling Sharpe who played from the end of Morgan's career into the 90s. Morgan flat out destroys Sharpe statistically.

It makes no sense to me.

This isn't about team records either since half the time Sharpe was on either a 4-12 losing team or else a 9-7 winning team.

Morgan, by contrast, only played on two losing Patriot teams, one in the very last year of his Patriots career when he started only half the games.

In the regular nomination process, Rodney Harrison and Vince Wilfork again didn't make the cut.

I can't make sense of what the senior committee is doing.

It appears that they've moved on from Stanley Morgan as they are now considering Sterling Sharpe who played from the end of Morgan's career into the 90s. Morgan flat out destroys Sharpe statistically.

It makes no sense to me.

This isn't about team records either since half the time Sharpe was on either a 4-12 losing team or else a 9-7 winning team.

Morgan, by contrast, only played on two losing Patriot teams, one in the very last year of his Patriots career when he started only half the games.

In the regular nomination process, Rodney Harrison and Vince Wilfork again didn't make the cut.

Travesty Morgan is not in Hall.
I guess jealousy/hatred of Patriots excellence is strong

It makes no sense to me.

Sterling Sharp is part of the media. Cronyism. Meanwhile Stanley Morgan is not part of that club. I feel it's that simple.

HoF has a severe Patriots hate bias there is no other explanation.
That would make sense if there weren’t any Patriots inducted recently, butttttttttt…

That’s not the only factor because then Rodney would be in.
Didn't someone post something about defensive players being at a disadvantage because they couldn't be quantified as succinctly as offensive players? I agree it's not the only factor but I think it's a big contributor. Guys are voting for "their guy."

Harrison might be waiting a long time. He's got a rep of a dirty player and admitted to HGH use and got a suspension for that. Sucks but it is what it is. Hopefully the voters can see past all of that sometime because he should be in.

Sharpe had a shortened career due to injury. That's not Stanley's fault. Morgan played for the most run heavy team in modern NFL history, and he still compiled HOF numbers in that offense. Stanley's YPC at 20 blows away Sharpe's TPC at 14.

This really is inexplicable.

In recent years, Harold Carmichael, Cliff Branch, Drew Pearson all got in as they came from the senior list.

So I really thought this was Stanley's time given the 3 that just went before him.

But to not even make the list this year????!??!?!?!

Travesty Morgan is not in Hall.
I guess jealousy/hatred of Patriots excellence is strong
Well, at least Houston Antwine and Gino Cappelletti are finally, belatedly getting in.

Seriously, I would say they're waiting for Steamer to die, but that (see above) makes no difference.

It makes no sense to me.

Sterling Sharpe is basically considered the Terrell Davis of Wide Receivers so he gets more modern attention for being a big peak low longevity player. Morgan doesn't really get talked about anymore and outside Patriots fans and old timers, he's sort of not a big name.

What significantly hurts Morgan is that he only has 2 Second Team All Pros while Sharpe has 3 First Team All Pros. All Pros hold a lot of sway with HOF voters because it's basically a "you were the best at your position these years" award. Also Sharpe led the league in TD's twice and receptions 3 times and once in yards, while Morgan only led once in TD's.

Also the Hall isn't oblivious either. Morgan has like 80 more games but only 2600 more career yards and 7 more TD's. That's not a big enough gap for the difference in games. Not to mention Sharpe has more receptions. Morgan's YPA is really the big outlier for him, but that's it. If you go by accolades it's Sharpe, if you go by most stats, Sharpe was just flat out more productive in a much shorter time.

That would make sense if there weren’t any Patriots inducted recently, butttttttttt…
Yup. Also Ty Law if you remove him from the context of being a Patriot and being part of the 2000's dynasty, would have had a much harder time getting in. That's a case where you could pretty easily say that being part of the Patriots was what got him in the HOF when he's someone who could have been easily been overlooked without the rings and association

Stanley Morgan is a hall of famer. There aren't many *good* arguments for him not getting in, but there is a glut of WRs who should be in, and with the game changing over time, numbers get lost.

Rodney Harrison not being in the Hall of Fame is an absolute travesty, and I don't recognize the body until he gets in. It's an absolute ****ing joke. First player ever with 30 INTs and 30 sacks, did it as a *safety*. It's inexcusable.

The 'dirty player' thing is complete nonsense. If that were what's keeping him out, half the hall would have to immediately be thrown out.

Sterling Sharpe is basically considered the Terrell Davis of Wide Receivers so he gets more modern attention for being a big peak low longevity player. Morgan doesn't really get talked about anymore and outside Patriots fans and old timers, he's sort of not a big name.

What significantly hurts Morgan is that he only has 2 Second Team All Pros while Sharpe has 3 First Team All Pros. All Pros hold a lot of sway with HOF voters because it's basically a "you were the best at your position these years" award. Also Sharpe led the league in TD's twice and receptions 3 times and once in yards, while Morgan only led once in TD's.

Also the Hall isn't oblivious either. Morgan has like 80 more games but only 2600 more career yards and 7 more TD's. That's not a big enough gap for the difference in games. Not to mention Sharpe has more receptions. Morgan's YPA is really the big outlier for him, but that's it. If you go by accolades it's Sharpe, if you go by most stats, Sharpe was just flat out more productive in a much shorter time.

Stanley played in a different era. Look the the run/pass ratio of the teams of that era as opposed to the era Sharpe played in.

Stanley played in a different era. Look the the run/pass ratio of the teams of that era as opposed to the era Sharpe played in.
He 100% did. But in his era he was getting accolades and awards for being the best WR in the league. Stanley Morgan wasn't. That's a problem when people evaluate how he was looked at vs his peers. All Pros do matter when it comes to the HOF. Stats get inflated, newer guys beat older guys. A lot of times you see some older guys have lower volume but higher efficiency in some stats. It's hard to parse out. But when Sharpe is being named the best WR in the league 3 times and Morgan got the runner up accolade twice it's hard to say that one wasn't more highly regarded in their time.

In an absolutely ideal world, both get in. In this one, even if you took Sharpe off, Morgan would still have a hard time being one of the three to make the cut.

People are throwing out names who got in recently like Drew Pearson (3 First All Pros) and Cliff Branch (3 First Team All Pros). Like obviously those guys are going to have an easier route in. Harold Carmichael is the closest comp to Morgan imo. They have the same number of Second Team All Pros and both played in the 70's and 80's. Carmichael has more touchdowns and receptions, Morgan has more yards and a higher YPA. The only big difference in Carmichaels favor is that he made the All Decade Team... which again is another accolade that HOF voters are on record as saying are incredibly important to them.

Put it in perspective: Morgan had better numbers than all the contemporaries who played in the era before the stats were inflated.

Look at the 1990s and compare to the 1970s and 1980s if you don't believe me.

Playing with Brett Favre at a time when all the records were broken is very different than playing on the top running team of all time (the Patriots).

Let's try a couple of facts: when Morgan broke 10,000 yards, he was one of 6 WRs in NFL history to do it.

On top of that context of being only 1 of 6 WRs in NFL history to break the 10,000 yard mark, Stanley is the only player to average 19 ypc with 500 receptions in NFL history.

Do you think this record will ever be broken? I don't.

He has a lot of markers down.

One more interesting fact: the top WRs in the NFL had the following yardage in Morgan's years: 800, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1300, 1000, 1400, 1500, 1200, 1500, 1000. Jerry Rice in the 1980s had a top production of 1500 3x. In 1995 with the Raiders, he had 1,800.

Now look at what happened in the 1990s: 1500, 1400, 1500, 1500, 1800, 1500.

WRs yards had increased by 50% from the first half of Morgan's career to the decade after Morgan retired.

How many Patriots from 01-4 are in? Compare that to other teams that won 3+ titles. Nevermind the 40 years before that.

I won't get them in trouble for 2014-18 years yet but do you really think they are going to be more kind.

I didn't state a reason but it's clear to me there is a bias.

Well, at least Houston Antwine and Gino Cappelletti are finally, belatedly getting in.

Seriously, I would say they're waiting for Steamer to die, but that (see above) makes no difference.
There are no valid inductees until Gino gets in. Period.

Put it in perspective: Morgan had better numbers than all the contemporaries who played in the era before the stats were inflated.

Look at the 1990s and compare to the 1970s and 1980s if you don't believe me.

Playing with Brett Favre at a time when all the records were broken is very different than playing on the top running team of all time (the Patriots).

Let's try a couple of facts: when Morgan broke 10,000 yards, he was one of 6 WRs in NFL history to do it.

On top of that context of being only 1 of 6 WRs in NFL history to break the 10,000 yard mark, Stanley is the only player to average 19 ypc with 500 receptions in NFL history.

Do you think this record will ever be broken? I don't.

He has a lot of markers down.

One more interesting fact: the top WRs in the NFL had the following yardage in Morgan's years: 800, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1300, 1000, 1400, 1500, 1200, 1500, 1000. Jerry Rice in the 1980s had a top production of 1500 3x. In 1995 with the Raiders, he had 1,800.

Now look at what happened in the 1990s: 1500, 1400, 1500, 1500, 1800, 1500.

WRs yards had increased by 50% from the first half of Morgan's career to the decade after Morgan retired.
Again the problem is that HOF voters care about All Pros more than they care about statistical deep dives.

How many Patriots from 01-4 are in? Compare that to other teams that won 3+ titles. Nevermind the 40 years before that.

I won't get them in trouble for 2014-18 years yet but do you really think they are going to be more kind.

I didn't state a reason but it's clear to me there is a bias.
Problem is Brady and Vinatieri are two immediate additions as soon as they are eligible. So two guys with heavy longevity skew it.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back