PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict Denver's first 4 offensive plays against NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Bronco

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
OK, here are the rules: try to predict what Denver's first 4 offensive plays will be in the game later today. If you want, you can have 2 sets of numbers: a realistic prediction and an optional optimistic, home-boy prediction.

Here's a little clue to get you started: last week, Denver ran the ball 94.6% of the time on first down.

If you win, you'll share the award with the 80% of Bronco fans who are able to predict Mike McCoy's offensive plays with startling accuracy.

facepalmxm.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
REALISTIC

1) Run - McGahee 3 yards
2) Run - McGahee 4 yards
3) Run - Tebow read-option 4 yards, 1st down
4) Run - McGahee 5 yards

OPTIMISTIC

1) Pass - Deep to Thomas, Touchdown
2) Extra Point - Good
3) Kickoff - Touchback
4) Brady is sacked, fumbles, and Denver recovers for another TD

1. Flea Flicker play attempt to D.Thomas deep down field, batted down by McCourty. INC
2. Run to the right for 3 yards.
3. Pass to the tightend for 4 yards.
4. Punt.

1. Basic slant pass to get Tebow warmed up and comfortable--maybe 10 yds, although I'd give or take a few yards.

2. Run to McGahee--4 to 5 yards

3. Run to McGahee--3 to 4 yards

4. Pass attempt on 3rd and short, pass falls incomplete

1. Basic slant pass to get Tebow warmed up and comfortable--maybe 10 yds, although I'd give or take a few yards.

2. Run to McGahee--4 to 5 yards

3. Run to McGahee--3 to 4 yards

4. Pass attempt on 3rd and short, pass falls incomplete

This scenario is plausible. It lets McCoy get rid of that pesky pass requirement on first down right away. Now he can focus on running the ball the rest of the game on 1st down.

And, it totally negates Tebow's skill set by having him pass on 3rd and short instead of run the ball up the middle from the formation that Denver has used so successfully for 2-point conversions.

So, I think you're on to something here. :(

This scenario is plausible. It lets McCoy get rid of that pesky pass requirement on first down right away. Now he can focus on running the ball the rest of the game on 1st down.

And, it totally negates Tebow's skill set by having him pass on 3rd and short instead of run the ball up the middle from the formation that Denver has used so successfully for 2-point conversions.

Lol...

I think that Denver will try to catch NE off guard a bit on the predictibility of the 1st down runs..at least on some level.

I do think it's plausible that they get him a quick throw to feel comfortable, and they honestly may even take a long shot to start the game. There's at least a chance that they try and do that in their first series.

As far as the 3rd down play goes, it's anyone's guess of course, but you are probably right in stating that it would be much more likely for Tebow to run with it.

As far as the 3rd down play goes, it's anyone's guess of course, but you are probably right in stating that it would be much more likely for Tebow to run with it.

Dude, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was agreeing with your predictions.

On 3rd and short, you'd *think* "Hey, let Tebow run it!"

Instead, Fox and McCoy usually do a plain-Jane run up the gut from the I-Formation with McGahee for 1 yard when we need 2 yards. It drives me nuts.

Somehow, Denver has been winning *IN SPITE* of this brain dead playcalling. I just hope the trend continues tomorrow.

Last edited:
Pass 60 yard comp
Pass 19 yard comp
Run tebow 1 yard TD

..........youll see ;)

Last edited:
1 - Quick Slant. Deflected by Arrington.
2 - Read-option. Tebow keeps for 2.
3 - Draw. Ball for 2.
4 - Punt. Edelman returns for 6.

Dude, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was agreeing with your predictions.

On 3rd and short, you'd *think* "Hey, let Tebow run it!"

Instead, Fox and McCoy usually do a plain-Jane run up the gut from the I-Formation with McGahee for 1 yard when we need 2 yards. It drives me nuts.

Somehow, Denver has been winning *IN SPITE* of this brain dead playcalling. I just hope the trend continues tomorrow.

No, I'm aware that you were agreeing, and at the same time poking a little fun at your OC.

But after thinking it over, you are right in the sense that it would be much more effective for Tebow to run it on 3rd and short situations.

I understand, you didn't lose me--lol.

I may not have worded myself very well, but we're on the same page.

Just because you can, unless you're trying to punch in a touchdown, or a critical down in a critical situation, why would you ever choose to run Tebow on 3rd and short up the middle?

The risk of injury makes no sense, when your running back is supposed to be perfectly capable of doing the same thing. If your QB, even if he is a rusher, is better than your running back on your typical 3rd and short up the middle, you might need to cut your running back.

Last edited:
Just because you can, unless you're trying to punch in a touchdown, or a critical down in a critical situation, why would you ever choose to run Tebow on 3rd and short up the middle?

The risk of injury makes no sense, when your running back is supposed to be perfectly capable of doing the same thing. If your QB, even if he is a rusher, is better than your running back on your typical 3rd and short up the middle, you might need to cut your running back.

Tebow LOVES it when they call his number. The defensive linemen and LB's...not so much. He's a big guy - tall and muscular and fast for his size. Think a bigger version of Peyton Hillis.

I'd actually prefer to see more read-option runs on 3rd and short. That way, Tebow would have a chance to bust off a really long play, not just get the first down.

And if he did that a few times, then if McCoy were smart he'd run some play action the next time, and have Tebow throw it deep on 3rd and short.

But, alas, McCoy *isn't* smart, so expect to see a conventional run up the middle by McGahee on 3rd and short.

Last edited:
Interception, 14 yards, Molden
Interception, 3 yards Ihedigbo
McGahee, 4 yard rush
Deep pass to Thomas, Incomplete

At this point the game is 14-0 NE.

Interception, 14 yards, Molden
Interception, 3 yards Ihedigbo
McGahee, 4 yard rush
Deep pass to Thomas, Incomplete

At this point the game is 14-0 NE.

OK, so that's your "Wishful Thinking Scenario". What about the realistic one? :)

(1) At DEN 17, McGahee back to Tebow's right, Thomas split wide left, Royal motions from the right flank to slot left with Arrignton following, Fells stays tight right on the LoS. Pats start in 4-man front with Ninko, Ellis ,Wilfork and Deaderick L-to-R, Fletcher at SLB, Spikes in the middle, Mayo at WLB. Moore is 6+ yds off Thomas in man, Arrington is fairly tight over Royal, MCourty at deep safety and Chung about 10 yds off the line between Fletcher and Spikes. Ninko drops back off the line before the snap and the DL shifts to a 30-front, 2-gap.

Tebow sells a very good PA to McGahee toward the RG-RT gap but keeps the ball in a designed rollout to his left. Royal fakes a slant to the middle into a 12-yd out left while Thomas flies past Moore down the left sideline and angles toward the seam and McCourty comes over the top. McGahee drifts to the left middle with Fletcher on him. Fells releases off Ninko to run the right seam. Tebow has Mayo in his face but still manages to launch a duck to Fells at the 34 who makes a very good catch just before Chung makes the tackle for no YAC.

(2) 1st-and-10, DEN 34. Ball subs in for McGahee; Willis comes in for Fells. Love comes in for Ellis, Anderson in for Deaderick, Molden comes in for Fletcher. Willis sets up wide left with Thomas in the left slot, Royal wide right, Ball back to Tebow's left. Ninko stays down at LDE with Anderson opposite and the five DBs in a variation of 2-deep zone.

Tebow runs a delayed handoff to Ball, who starts to his left, then cuts back behind Hochstein for 9-yards. But the play is called back for Franklin HOLDING on Ninko.

(3) 1st-and-20, DEN 24. Willis replaced by Fells who sets up tight left with Thomas wide left and Royal slot right. Deaderick replaces Anderson at RDE, Ihedigbo replaces Molden and the secondary shows zone.

Royal runs the right seam, Thomas runs an intermediate slant, Fells releases left with Beadles and Walton pulling for a Tebow-Ball option left. Tebow keeps as Deaderick get free and bears down on Ball, but Tebow gets crushed by Mayo and Spikes after 4 yards.

(4) 2nd-and-16, DEN 28. Willis replaces Fells, McGahee replaces Ball. Anderson replaces Deaderick. Thomas sets up wide right with Willis in the right slot and Royal wide left. Pats stay in zone.

Tebow attempts to rollout left, but Anderson keeps contain and Ninko generates pressure from Tebow's right, forcing him to dump off to Willis on the slant, which ends up being good for 9 yards.

(5) 3rd-and-7, DEN 37. Fells back in for Willis. Ellis replaces Anderson.

Tebow runs a draw to McGahee, but Spikes blows him up after 2 yards.

(6) 4th-and-5, DEN 39. Broncos punt.

1st down: McGahee up the middle for 5 yards
2nd down: Tebow incomplete pass to Daniel Fells
3rd down: McGhaee up the middle for 3 yards
4th down: Punt

1- Play action pass- intended target Thomas- Result- INT for a TD.
2- PAT
3- Kick return by Eddie Royal to the Denver 28.
4- Run up the middle by McGahee for 4 yards.

OK, so that's your "Wishful Thinking Scenario". What about the realistic one? :)

Tim Tebow has a 48% completion percentage, and Bill's coaching was able to attack Manning in his 04 record season or the 01 Warner, I think its more than possible little Tebow throws some picks.

Last edited:
REALISTIC

OPTIMISTIC

1) Pass - Deep to Thomas, Touchdown
2) Extra Point - Good
3) Kickoff - Touchback
4) Brady is sacked, fumbles, and Denver recovers for another TD

Since when are these plays offensive?

The OP can't even answer his own question.
Thats how stupid Broncos fans are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft