PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-posting this from the Jets Suck thread:

I think the Patriots win a low-scoring contest but they've got to have a short memory re. last night. Mac needs to start and protect the ball, the running game needs to show up to give him breathing room. He beat New Jersey twice last year so he knows their defensive tendencies.

The Jete must prove they aren't paper tigers with four of their five wins coming against the opponent's reserve QB. Punky McMilfson is playing poorly with only 205 net yards combined the last two games (Green Bay, Denver). He doesn't have his star rookie RB Hall to lean on who's out for the season plus New Jersey's OL is unsettled. This is only the Pats' second divisional game thus far, I consider it a must win if they're going to turn the season around.

I was listening to the post game show with John Zannis on YouTube and he presented a stats that opened my eyes.

He said that going from 2019 and after yesterday game, the patriots are 2-17 when the defense allows 24+ points.
our offense isn't explosive, nor can our qb evaluate talent to the next level, we can't keep up in shootouts or playing from behind, not a surprising stat but this counts for a lot of offenses

That is wild. Jets are 5-2 and at home and the Pats are favored?

The Pats have had trouble dealing with the pass rush this season, and the Jets have a really good interior rush. I think that both teams are going to avoid throwing the ball and try to win the game on the ground. Each offense will try to be more conservative than the other and the team that makes the most mistakes will lose. Pats will need to find a way to run the ball and get Zack Wilson to gave them the ball.
Not sure who is going to play center assuming Andrews is out with a concussion.

Zappe gave Mac life he can get his job back. I see Mac starting this week.

Until the Jets beat the Pats, I’ll believe the Pats can still win this game.
our o-line needs a helluvah game against the jets d-line, we need to setup the run properly for PA etc. to make things easier for both QB

Not sure who is going to play center assuming Andrews is out with a concussion.

Dirty blindside block on the interception did that getting the Chicago player ejected. Disgusting.

Dirty blindside block on the interception did that getting the Chicago player ejected. Disgusting.
Bears have always had a chip on their shoulder ever since Brady duked Urlacher.

That is wild. Jets are 5-2 and at home and the Pats are favored?

The Pats have had trouble dealing with the pass rush this season, and the Jets have a really good interior rush. I think that both teams are going to avoid throwing the ball and try to win the game on the ground. Each offense will try to be more conservative than the other and the team that makes the most mistakes will lose. Pats will need to find a way to run the ball and get Zack Wilson to gave them the ball.

If you have watched the Jets during the winning streak, they have been winning despite Zach Wilson who has two TDs in four games (one passing, one rushing) and now they lost their biggest offensive weapon in Breece Hall and arguably their best o-lineman. Now they are likely going to have to rely on Wilson to win games and probably this one. The Pats still have a great pass defense and Wilson has been easily rattled. And terms of the Patriots offense, they still have Harris and Stevenson to run the ball. I am guessing that is why they are favored.

Thought this was a slam dunk easy game like last nights "contest" was supposed to be? Hmmm??

Hall being hurt is a factor but it's the Jete Oline who has been clearing lanes for him to have a great season. The backup RB had pretty good numbers from what I saw. The guy they just traded for also is a starting caliber NFL RB. Have to start with stopping the run, which the Pats have struggled with this season.

The Jete fan does not have confidence in the QB. But neither do we at this point.

This might be a go for a hike kind of day and listen on the radio...

Maybe BB's plan was to show that Zappe is human too, and not ready - to solidify the teams support behind Mac in the most odd, uncomfortable and publicly confusing way ever?????
Maybe he wanted to test Mac's mental grit more than Zappe's skill. Or, maybe he knew once the crowd chanted "Zappe", it would permanently destroy Mac if he didn't acquiesce and reveal Zappe in full meltdown mode to the fan base in order to properly turn the page back to Mac.

Truth is, an away game where Mac can play the whole game and re-gain a chemistry with the team is the best chance we have to salvage this season. IF Mac can win.

Don't you know what that player was? That hit was personal.

I know who Pennel is. I doubt it was personal vs. Andrews, just dirty and stupid. I don't know why the Patriots released him but he's a bad actor so that probably had something to do with it.

He threw 2 picks and had 4 batted passes and multiple 3 and outs on the second half

If we can criticize Mac's 3 drives. We can't also give excuses for zappes crap performance
The 4th quarter they weren't trying to win. One was a bad pass under pressure, the other was a batted ball that landed in the hands of a defender. Bears defense made good plays. Zappe still played way better than mac

Pats have a history of making bum QBs have career nights. Hopefully, Wilson is still too bad to make for a repeat of last night. Fields at least has legs. I've seen Wilson scramble around the backfield but I'm not sure if he has the same mobility going forwards.

Not sure how fast Wilson is, but Fields is a much more powerful runner who is hard to take down

Wilson may have some wheels but should be much easier to get on the ground

I'm not ready to go there. Did he look good in his 3 series, no, was the offense clicking, no, we're going to have to give him more time though. It certainly didn't help that Trent Brown played the worst game of his career. All around, just a horrible performance. Even last year against Buffalo in the playoffs, I could accept it more, Buffalo was a better team and we kind of overachieved. This was an absolute head scratcher.

First 3 series?

He's looked awful all season and has looked rather bad to mediocre going all the way back to last November.

But how much of it is his fault and how much of it falls on to the weapons Bill has surrounded him with?

Who knows at this point but I'm done seeing his weak ass free for all floaters he keeps throwing.

First 3 series?

He's looked awful all season and has looked rather bad to mediocre going all the way back to last November.

But how much of it is his fault and how much of it falls on to the weapons Bill has surrounded him with?

Who knows at this point but I'm done seeing his weak ass free for all floaters he keeps throwing.
He did make the pro bowl last year though as a rookie and led us to the playoffs. I'm not saying he's looked good this year, he obviously hasn't and the biggest thing is he is committing too many turnovers. I like the weapons he has, an upgrade from last year, that's for sure. He needs to get better play from the O-line and cut down on the turnovers.

First 3 series?

Mac is what he is and some here are in denial about it. He's a limited front running QB that relies on the game to go according to the script. Almost all of their wins dating back to last season occurred because they ran the ball first, the D held the other team in check and didn't turn the ball over. When the other team has a lead and that D can tee off on Mac and Zappe last night, they can't pass their way out of a deficit. They can't adjust to the other team taking away what the Pats want to do.

With that being said, yanking Mac out that early was not a good move. In fact, I said during the week Mac shouldn't even see the field. That was the first time I've seen Bill cave so quickly to the fans booing Mac and chanting for Zappe.

True, they also forgot to cover the Bears receivers a lot. Zappe came in and played admirably, I want him over mac
I don’t think that’s true. He took advantage of a busted coverage on the leak to jakobi as any qb (Mac included) would have done. Actually, he made a bad throw and it took jakobi making a spectacular catch for us to not miss out on that touchdown.
After that, he wasn’t impressive or productive imo. I like what he’s showed the last few weeks, but this was his first game that wasn’t against a poor defense where we could rely on the run, hit wide open PA, and play from ahead. He may do well in the future, but I don’t think he played well last night.
The 4th quarter they weren't trying to win. One was a bad pass under pressure, the other was a batted ball that landed in the hands of a defender. Bears defense made good plays. Zappe still played way better than mac
This is the exact context everyone has been disregarding for Mac lol.
In the ravens game, he had 3 picks (which has been brought up all the time). One of them was legit on Mac, one was Parker’s fault, one was at the end of the game pushing the ball down multiple scores.
Last night, Mac’s pick was under pressure. It was a really poor decision, but there’s no excusing zappe’s bad pick on the pass to Thornton and not similarly excusing Mac’s pick last night. They were both bad.
Zappe’s batted interception was unlucky to an extent, but he got several balls batted last night. He (and possibly his height) plays a role in that. He also may have contributed to the fumble handoff.
I’m still hopeful zappe is a good player long term, but the “play zappe until he plays badly or loses” crowd can be done now.

To me, the key is that 3 series, especially when they include 3 and outs, isn’t enough to evaluate him.
There’s a very real chance Mac just isn’t the guy. It’s quite possible. But given what he’s shown us last year (and making positive plays in the ravens game, albeit accompanied by costly turnovers) and what we’ve invested in him, I think we absolutely have to start him this year. If after the rest of the year he isn’t improved and seems to be who he is, you can choose to move on. But I think you have to give him a chance to develop. Giving up because he had a bad last few games as a rookie and a bad first 3.1 games as a sophomore is not a smart decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents