PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that the game plan is pretty simple and they’ll run roughly the same template regardless of who is starting. It would benefit Mac to run something simpler for his own protection his first week back, especially against a defense that’s very weak against the run anyway. And if you have a choice between two QBs, it makes a lot more sense to go with the much more experienced, more talented guy who knows your system better, even if he’s a little limited by an injury. I’m sure Mac is capable of executing a run heavy game plan, and would probably be able to make some calls at the line that Zappe can’t.
You're saying that if the Pats face 3rd and long because of run stuffs, incompletions or penalties, and CLE D pins their ears back to blitz Mac; that he has enough mobility to scramble and not suffer a sack that could create a TO or worse aggravate his ankle injury? That it's worth taking that risk despite Mac not playing for 3 wks & not practicing w/ 1st team? That Zappe is a bigger risk despite being one of the best QBs last week? Ok, I disagree.

That sounds like a quick way to go 2-4. Give them the throws he’s comfortable with, tell him to take what the defense gives him (which will probably be throws to the sticks), and lean on Rham and the defense to win a tough game.
Nobody is asking him to be uncomfortable.. so far he's looked as comfortable as if he were wearing his favorite robe and sitting in his easy boy recliner. They cost themselves a win at Green Bay because they were afraid to let him throw on the last two drives, let's not live in fear... he's earned some leeway. Open it up some, either way they're going to rely on the run game against one of the worst run defenses in the league.

You're saying that if the Pats face 3rd and long because of run stuffs, incompletions or penalties, and CLE D pins their ears back to blitz Mac; that he has enough mobility to scramble and not suffer a sack that could create a TO or worse aggravate his ankle injury? That it's worth taking that risk despite Mac not playing for 3 wks & not practicing w/ 1st team? That Zappe is a bigger risk despite being one of the best QBs last week? Ok, I disagree.
You put a whole lot of words in my mouth. I have no idea, I don’t know what his health situation is. That’s up to the coaches. I’m just guessing.

Not encouraging to see Gilbert called up, but hopefully he’ll be a healthy scratch if Mac is good to go.

Really hoping Mac is ok to play tomorrow. I want us to win more than anything, but the noise if zappe wins again is gonna get annoying.
Gilbert is active regardless since he was called up from the PS.

He makes a good point. Interesting to see what Bill decides if Mac is in fact among the active. Do we know who took 1st team reps this week? I assume Zappe if Mac was limited.

Bledsoe backed up Brady.

Zappe outplayed Hoyer and is # 2 QB just like Brady was. Big deal poor old Mac has to watch. The "Best Pats QB" remains to be determined too.

NFL Defenses know to blitz Mac.

The Ravens did and the Dolphins did too.

NFL Defenses know to blitz Mac.

The Ravens did and the Dolphins did too.

First, the o-line is much better now than it was the first two weeks. That was the biggest issue with the pressure on Jones in the first two weeks.

Second, the Dolphins blitzed Jones less week one this year than in either game last year. I can’t find the stats, but they didn’t blitz all that much in week one.

Nobody is asking him to be uncomfortable.. so far he's looked as comfortable as if he were wearing his favorite robe and sitting in his easy boy recliner. They cost themselves a win at Green Bay because they were afraid to let him throw on the last two drives, let's not live in fear... he's earned some leeway. Open it up some, either way they're going to rely on the run game against one of the worst run defenses in the league.
You’ve basically covered all of the bases in this post. “Open it up some,” I.E., let him air it out a bit more, followed by “either way they're going to rely on the run game against one of the worst run defenses in the league.” I like the way you work. Either way, you’re going to be right. I have been defeated.

You put a whole lot of words in my mouth. I have no idea, I don’t know what his health situation is. That’s up to the coaches. I’m just guessing.
But this is what you said:

And if you have a choice between two QBs, it makes a lot more sense to go with the much more experienced, more talented guy who knows your system better, even if he’s a little limited by an injury. I’m sure Mac is capable of executing a run heavy game plan, and would probably be able to make some calls at the line that Zappe can’t.
"even if he's a little limited by an injury." It's fine, we just disagree.

First, the o-line is much better now than it was the first two weeks. That was the biggest issue with the pressure on Jones in the first two weeks.

Second, the Dolphins blitzed Jones less week one this year than in either game last year. I can’t find the stats, but they didn’t blitz all that much in week one.

You're trying to talk common sense to a Mac-hating flatland hillbilly moonshiner who nearly committed hara-kiri when Cam Newton was cut. He's not interested. :(

flatland hillbilly moonshiner..isn't this an oxymoron? if such a person exists he must get pretty tired running in circles...

I hope the kid depants the Browns with a 289 yd, 2 TD/0 INT/0 sack game in a thrilling 4Q come from behind 24-20 win. LFG

I hope the kid depants the Browns with a 289 yd, 2 TD/0 INT/0 sack game in a thrilling 4Q come from behind 24-20 win. LFG
I hope you’re wrong, and that there’s no need for a 4Q comeback because the Zappe led Pats take control of the game early and cruise to a comfortable 31 - 13 victory with Zappe throwing for a pair of TDs, Rham having a career day and the defense continuing to be dominant with another defensive score when Jack Jones feasts on a piece of Brisket.

flatland hillbilly moonshiner..isn't this an oxymoron? if such a person exists he must get pretty tired running in circles...

Not all hillbillies live in the hills. I suppose you could call them plainesbillies but Merriam-Webster would require common usage to certify that. The moonshiner part generously concedes that his idiocy might not be genetic, but I doubt it.

main-qimg-598118340c938a2b454e830cecdcc112-lq.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone will need to step up to give Stevenson some relief.

Screenshot_20221016_073449_Chrome.jpg

Just to give you an idea on how bad their run defense has been that Austin Ekeler on 1 run alone had a better game than he had running in the 4 previous games and that he had more yards in the game against them then he had total in the 4 previous games

Now here is what Atlanta did to them a week before

Screenshot_20221016_074014_Chrome.jpg

Allgeier is a rookie and Huntley is a 2nd year player. They had a combined 15 career rushes going into that game. Patterson went into that game with an injury and left it because of injury. 20 rushes 140 yards 1 TD for 2 guys that had 15 career rushes before that game.

Last edited:

Blitzed 7 times in Miami for 2 sacks.
Blitzed 9 times vs Baltimore for 3 sacks.
Blitzed 9 times in Pittsburgh.

The Bears will blitz Twinkle Toes Mac next week and their defense is pretty good. What should save Jones is that the Chicago offense is a dumpster fire.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneMa05/gamelog/2022/advanced/#advanced_passing

Last edited:
The Pats offense carries Patricia off the field on their shoulders.

Not all hillbillies live in the hills. I suppose you could call them plainesbillies but Merriam-Webster would require common usage to certify that. The moonshiner part generously concedes that his idiocy might not be genetic, but I doubt it.

View attachment 46271
I bet you he has never uttered anything as racist as the LA city councils' democrats did

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes