PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let’s get those talented receivers on the field.

This guy had legitimate shot, but dumb penalties at bad times is a good way to get a ticket out of town.

This guy had legitimate shot, but dumb penalties at bad times is a good way to get a ticket out of town.
I’m betting they are hopeful he can clear waivers and make it onto the PS. But no loss if he doesn’t. Probably signing either Harris or JJ to the 53.

Unless I'm missing something, LJH had one false start penalty and that was when they were up 26-0 in the 4th vs the Lions. Had a clutch catch at the end of the Steelers game to help seal the win. He def needed to be waived to make room, but it's not like he screwed up royally. I'm still trying to figure out why he got so many snaps. Maybe Cannon as a jumbo TE has been the better option versus the shrimpy TE that LJH provided.

excited to see more of Thornton, but i cant defend Bourne anymore.. he finally got some snaps last game and made like 2 separate boneheaded plays
And yet they cut Lil Jordan. Don't give up on Bourne yet. Funny I have to defend him now when I was pointing out how Lil Jordan earned his role as basically a back up TE and how Agholar had passed him. But I think even if he did well blocking they still hoped for more as a reciever. Same with Agholar I think he passed Bourne in spring and summer but his bad hands caught up to him and now it's wide open. I think Lil Jordan just got cut because he can make it the PS and I'd expect he returns again at some point and they revive the blocking WR/TE stuff but until then roster spots were needed and we can't afford 6 WRs with RB injuries. It will be interesting to see which one can handle the adversity between Bourne and Agholar because there is still a role to be had. We are going to need more than just Meyers, Parker, and Ty.

And yet they cut Lil Jordan. Don't give up on Bourne yet. Funny I have to defend him now when I was pointing out how Lil Jordan earned his role as basically a back up TE and how Agholar had passed him. But I think even if he did well blocking they still hoped for more as a reciever. Same with Agholar I think he passed Bourne in spring and summer but his bad hands caught up to him and now it's wide open. I think Lil Jordan just got cut because he can make it the PS and I'd expect he returns again at some point and they revive the blocking WR/TE stuff but until then roster spots were needed and we can't afford 6 WRs with RB injuries. It will be interesting to see which one can handle the adversity between Bourne and Agholar because there is still a role to be had. We are going to need more than just Meyers, Parker, and Ty.
Humphrey was at the bottom of the WR depth chart. Thornton came back. I see now issues with waiving Humphrey. I'm glad he got some reps. They will make him more ready if there is another injury.

Humphrey was at the bottom of the WR depth chart. Thornton came back. I see now issues with waiving Humphrey. I'm glad he got some reps. They will make him more ready if there is another injury.
No issues at all he didn't do enough as a pass catcher to warrant keeping him as a blocker, can find better blockers to not catch. If there is space on the roster in the future maybe you give it another try. If they can get it right next time it could be a nice little gadget but injuries quickly limit your space for that sort of thing.

Red sleeves Judon had to have been hurt late last season. He was on fire like this early on in 2021.

Patriots Fans Worldwide

Stadium Rant · ·

Through 5 weeks, Matt Judon has…
1f4b0.png
19 COMB
1f4b0.png
6 Sacks
1f4b0.png
10 AST
… difference maker
1f624.png

Getting everyone ready for a Wednesday:

I am curious if Bourne starts getting more snaps over Agholor. The fumbles and tips into INTs may push him down the depth chart. Bourne and Agholor don’t exactly play the same role though.

Wide receiver can be a spot of malnutrition if one of Agholar or Bourne is traded.
I say the best thing to do is have a deep a wide receiver depth chart in case it’s next man up.
I highly doubt Agholar is part of the plan next season.
That could change if he be take an incredibly team friendly deal like under 9 mill a season otherwise he is a free agent.
Only way I would part with Agholar in trade is if I’m going after Brian Burns or Robaire Smith.
I really think the Patriots should think long and hard about pushing Their chips in for a talent like Brian Burns.

Wide receiver can be a spot of malnutrition if one of Agholar or Bourne is traded.
I say the best thing to do is have a deep a wide receiver depth chart in case it’s next man up.
I highly doubt Agholar is part of the plan next season.
That could change if he be take an incredibly team friendly deal like under 9 mill a season otherwise he is a free agent.
Only way I would part with Agholar in trade is if I’m going after Brian Burns or Robaire Smith.
I really think the Patriots should think long and hard about pushing Their chips in for a talent like Brian Burns.
I would trade agholar in a heartbeat... Frees up cap space and gets rid of the master of the tip drill all at the same time... With Bourne getting more snaps, and adding Parker and Thornton to the mix, his production can be replaced...

I would trade agholar in a heartbeat... Frees up cap space and gets rid of the master of the tip drill all at the same time... With Bourne getting more snaps, and adding Parker and Thornton to the mix, his production can be replaced...
Not me. It's a loooong season and injuries are going to happen. It would suck to trade him now and suddenly be scouring the the free agent bargain bins looking for WR after a spate of injuries.

Not me. It's a loooong season and injuries are going to happen. It would suck to trade him now and suddenly be scouring the the free agent bargain bins looking for WR after a spate of injuries.
We’re still ridiculously deep there, plus we have 2 TE sets to run. But even with Agholor gone we’d have
Jakobi
Parker
Bourne
Thornton

And then 2 TEs. That’s plenty of depth. Teams don’t need 5 quality receivers available. That’s still deeper than we are at other positions.

We’re still ridiculously deep there, plus we have 2 TE sets to run. But even with Agholor gone we’d have
Jakobi
Parker
Bourne
Thornton

And then 2 TEs. That’s plenty of depth. Teams don’t need 5 quality receivers available. That’s still deeper than we are at other positions.
You're probably right but Thornton is a rookie coming back from injury, Parker had one good game (and is often the target when balls get intercepted), and Bourne is doing his best to stay in the doghouse. Shrug. I don't blame them for keeping them all and seeing how it'll shake out.

Agahlor is keeping pace with Meyers for most targets. To date, Agahlor has caught the longest pass completion @ 44 yards. That must have been the play in Pittsburgh where he took the ball away from the Pitt DB for a TD.

Agahlor catch rate 73%
Parker catch rate 50%

Parker has all 5 games @ 84% snap counts.
Agahlor has started only 3 games @ 52% snap counts.

If anything more of Agahlor. A 66% catch rate of catching 2 out of 3 passes is what youre looking for every day of the week. Parker has hovered near the 50% catch rate mark the majority of his career.

I think contracts have alot to do with Humphrey getting cut as opposed to Bourne, Bourne is signed through next year, at about 6 mil for both this year and next, cutting him now, incurs a 1.4 mil dead cap hit along with a 5.5 mil in extra cap space.

Whereas cutting Humphrey comes with no dead money and a cap space of @900k.

I expect Lil to be resigned to the PS .

No issues at all he didn't do enough as a pass catcher to warrant keeping him as a blocker, can find better blockers to not catch. If there is space on the roster in the future maybe you give it another try. If they can get it right next time it could be a nice little gadget but injuries quickly limit your space for that sort of thing.
He did pop Bailey's Zappe by catching his 1st completed pass (trivia question in case he turns into the 2nd coming)... and that was it.

Some Patriot Offensive Leaders through 5 games:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft