PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to remind everyone here, as I have just reminded myself, that the Patriots played the Browns last year and won 45-7 with Mac going 19-23, just under 200 yards, and 3 TD.

This won't be the same exact game as last year for a few reasons. The Browns are at home this time, the QB is less of an idiot than Mayfield, and they have Amari Cooper. Overall, nothing hugely game changing. If you weren't a fan of the Pats offseason, you'd probably hate the Browns offseason (without factoring in your feelings on Watson). They really didn't do much to improve their team from last year.

I'm not saying I expect an easy Patriots win again, but these 2 teams are not far off what they were a year ago and it was an easy Patriots win back then. Anything can happen, and small changes like Brissett over Mayfield can have ripple effects, but I'm feeling solid about this one.
Mac had an ankle then. I really don't want to see him sacked and hit since he can't move as well as Zappe. Bring him back at home versus Chicago on MNF

Mac had an ankle then. I really don't want to see him sacked and hit since he can't move as well as Zappe. Bring him back at home versus Chicago on MNF
I would feel perfectly comfortable with Zappe in this game. Mac didn't hit 200 yards against the Browns last year; he was not asked to put the team on his back.

Bring Mac back against the Jets he should be well healed by then.

I don’t think there’s any chance Mac plays this week. Even if he looks somewhat close to healthy, Bill wants data on Zappe after how good he looked last week.
Not I expect clarification from BB/NEP but do we have any idea on the severity of Mac's high-ankle sprain? There were rumors of surgery but that seems to have abated.

The last 3 weeks seeing reports of Mac practicing with limited mobility, makes me wonder if he would have been better served to stay off his feet for during this time instead of trying to practice. I'm sure Mac is pushing to practice, be I can't help but think he'd be more likely to play this week if he hadn't practiced the last 3 weeks.

Whether he plays or not, this team needs to feature a run first offense. I think Mac's early struggles had a lot to do with growing pains as he was given more freedom in the new offense supposedly geared towards him.

The last 3 weeks seeing reports of Mac practicing with limited mobility, makes me wonder if he would have been better served to stay off his feet for during this time instead of trying to practice. I'm sure Mac is pushing to practice, be I can't help but think he'd be more likely to play this week if he hadn't practiced the last 3 weeks.

Whether he plays or not, this team needs to feature a run first offense. I think Mac's early struggles had a lot to do with growing pains as he was given more freedom in the new offense supposedly geared towards him.
I think the is a Rham or bust Offense going forward Defenses respect his abilities... so we will have play-action at our disposal. Whether it's Mac or Zapppe they just need to manage the game and protect the football.

I just want to remind everyone here, as I have just reminded myself, that the Patriots played the Browns last year and won 45-7 with Mac going 19-23, just under 200 yards, and 3 TD.

This won't be the same exact game as last year for a few reasons. The Browns are at home this time, the QB is less of an idiot than Mayfield, and they have Amari Cooper. Overall, nothing hugely game changing. If you weren't a fan of the Pats offseason, you'd probably hate the Browns offseason (without factoring in your feelings on Watson). They really didn't do much to improve their team from last year.

I'm not saying I expect an easy Patriots win again, but these 2 teams are not far off what they were a year ago and it was an easy Patriots win back then. Anything can happen, and small changes like Brissett over Mayfield can have ripple effects, but I'm feeling solid about this one.
You forgot the biggest difference from last season's game... Chubb and Hunt are playing this time. If individually or combined they have a big game then it's going to be real tough on the Patriots. It would require Stevenson matching their effort, which is possible. I don't see a big game from either quarterback (Brissett or Zappe/Jones).

You forgot the biggest difference from last season's game... Chubb and Hunt are playing this time. If individually or combined they have a big game then it's going to be real tough on the Patriots. It would require Stevenson matching their effort, which is possible. I don't see a big game from either quarterback (Brissett or Zappe/Jones).
Are you ready Dave? Are you getting on that bus with us, because we're starting to roll!!!!!!!!! Come along for the ride!!!! Let's goooooooooo!!!!!!

You're right, I did forget that. Probably means significantly more than 7 points this time around for Cleveland.

Eh, their usage has been different. I’d expect Agholor to have the higher catch rate. He’s had more of a diet of short/intermediate crossers, while Parker has been largely involved in shot plays.
Parker had a big day vs the Ravens which skews the stats, otherwise he has done not much else.

Agahalor completed a shot play vs Pittsburgh that amounted to a 44 yard TD. Agahlor had his man beat for a shot play TD in the 2021 playoff game. As soon as you trade Agahlor, Parker will pull up lame. Then you're relying on Thornton to do something which is like waiting on Christmas.

If the Pats want to use Agahlor in the 20 - 25 yard pass range and he's hauling in 2 out 3 great.
I will say Agholor has done a good job of beating man coverage. I think Bourne could do a good job as well though, and be even better with the ball in his hands.

Agahlor is having a much improved season.

Parker had a big day vs the Ravens which skews the stats, otherwise he has done not much else.

Agahalor completed a shot play vs Pittsburgh that amounted to a 44 yard TD. Agahlor had his man beat for a shot play TD in the 2021 playoff game. As soon as you trade Agahlor, Parker will pull up lame. Then you're relying on Thornton to do something which is like waiting on Christmas.

If the Pats want to use Agahlor in the 20 - 25 yard pass range and he's hauling in 2 out 3 great.

Really Mr Giveth and Taketh away: :rolleyes: Agholor won us the Steelers game and cost us the Ravens game. Based on his contract yeah he should be giving us much more than he is now. Tell him please keep his turnovers we can do without them. I Think one more on field Turnover and he will be ridding the pine for the rest of the year. Tre Nixon is looking good on the Scout Team.

I don’t think there’s any chance Mac plays this week. Even if he looks somewhat close to healthy, Bill wants data on Zappe after how good he looked last week.
I doubt he'd sit Mac because he wants to see Zappe.

Are you ready Dave? Are you getting on that bus with us, because we're starting to roll!!!!!!!!! Come along for the ride!!!! Let's goooooooooo!!!!!!
Well, when @NYJ is probably your "toughest" opponent until Thanksgiving then things are looking up for sure. Ultimately the merits of the season will rest on the final 7 weeks. But in the interim I agree there should be plenty of opportunity for pumping up the tires.

That's if you're discounting the costly fumbles. Agholor beat up on a really bad secondary in Pittsburgh.

Really hope Agholor gets downgraded to out him being limited brought a smile to my face. :) Meyers -Parker - Thornton and Bourne is an upgrade.:cool:

Forget brissett…worry about Nick Chubb who is the best Rb in the NFL. Still can’t believe we chose his college backup over him in the draft. Serious question..when scouting the Georgia Backfield, what did he possibly see that made him think Sony would be a better back in the NFL?

Very winnable game but they are deadly running the ball and have a couple receiving weapons with size
I thought Michel was the right pick of the 2. Calling him Chubb's backup their final year is pretty misleading. They had similar production, with Sony being more efficient and looking like the better dual threat that would better help our offense. Problem was bad knees, quickly losing his burst, and never integrating him in the passing game. Meanwhile, Chubb is a beast.

Let's take a minute to remember the absolutely dominant performance from MJ against the Cleveland Browns last season. His performance was so dominant in the 1st half that the team jumped out to a 24-7, essentially clinching the victory even before the start of the 3rd quarter. The ass whooping was so bad that the Patriots basically called off their entire passing game in the 2nd half, as it was no longer needed, since the W was already in the bag.

I thought Michel was the right pick of the 2. Calling him Chubb's backup their final year is pretty misleading. They had similar production, with Sony being more efficient and looking like the better dual threat that would better help our offense. Problem was bad knees, quickly losing his burst, and never integrating him in the passing game. Meanwhile, Chubb is a beast.
I thought Chubb was the best of the two it was close but Chubb would have been my choice I thought he was the better runner out right. Also it's said that Chubb carried the football more @ Georgia maybe BB thought that he was getting the fresher RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back