PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre game thread- On to New Orleans... wonder which Jameis Winston we'll get this Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so much more happy that we're having the discussion about how Mac can throw more vertical and in Red Zone, than the discussion they're having in NY, CHI, JAX, NO, MIA, etc... Mac is taking the trajectory the way you dream young QB's to do - be smart, don't force the ball, allow for growth where the deeper passing game develops throughout the year(s). If Mac throws less INT's than Winston this week, we'll be in good shape. Don't get me wrong, I think there are plays to be made down the field, and yes, especially in the Red Zone, but I'm thrilled we have our guy who has what 99% of QB's don't have - a mental processor with innate risk-averse decision making ability.

It is kind of funny we are skewering a rookie QB by playing mentally sound football and completing 73% of his passes.

Tom Curran said this narrative that Mac Jones can't complete deep passes is false as he did all training camp and preseason. It's more the fact that his OL is a sieve right now and the game plan.

I think though if Trent brown solidifies the line this week they will push it down field more.

Last edited:
It is kind of funny we are skewering a rookie QB by playing mentally sound football and completing 73% of his passes.

Tom Curran said this narrative that Mac Jones can't complete deep passes is false as he did all training camp and preseason. It's more the fact that his OL is a sieve right now and the game plan.

I think though if Trent brown solidifies the line this week they will push it down field more.
Agreed. He also excelled at this in college. He can certainly get it done. People are weird..

Attention : you should say "some" (or "some spoiled, unrealistic weirdos") rather than "we"....

The thing that stuck out to me when watching the Saints/Panthers wasn't Winston. It was the Saints OL. What the hell happened? I'm going to be looking at that unit closely when i do my break down leading up to the game. They were so damn solid last year. Something going on or was it just a hiccup?

Erik McCoy is on IR. As a result Ruiz is at C & they have a new RG. OL goes from arguably #1 to middle of the pack. It’s similar to the domino effect without Trent Brown so far.

The Saints offense is a mess. Pats should be able to have 8 in the box & take away Kamara. On defense they are missing Onyemata, Davenport, Alexander & potentially Lattimore.

Pats have to come out with a win given the Saints are missing so many starters IMO.

As opposed to the rest of us unspoiled, fantasy weirdos?
Heehee. Yes, I suppose. As an Expos fan, I understand NOT being spoiled. Being a NE fan has been "easy"...

Are we gonna get this Winston

BestLittleGermanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

or this Winston

wow that was really uncomfortable watching that

getting everyone ready for today's lineup:

It's not really the narrative that he can't throw deep - is that he is skittish and doesn't want to and feels he doesn't need to (against the Jets). I think we see more of the same vs. the Saints - if Winston has another bad day.. Which I am sure BB can arrange to happen..

BB can beat up on QBs that lack a strong mental game.. He can confuse QBs with a good arm that are shall we say not students of the game..
It's against the Bucs that Mac can open up. Tom will put up some points - Mac will have to play from behind and will be forced to take more risks.. And at least at this point the Bucs pass rush hasn't been top notch.. So if they decide to loaf a bit - Mac might have time.

Saints D OTOH is pretty good and they will come out hungry.

On some of the plays that Mac missed deep, the pocket collapsed around him pretty quickly. Once he has a bit more experience with NFL speed, I'm sure he'll get a better feel for finding those deeper plays. Like others have said, I'd rather have issues with not seeing downfield plays and checking down, than having issues with downfield plays and chucking up INTs.

I think the coaches missing is overstated. Found this

The available offensive coaches are head coach Sean Payton, offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, quarterbacks coach Ronald Curry, assistant offensive line coach Zach Strief, offensive assistant Kevin Petry and offensive assistant D.J. Williams.

The available defensive coaches are defensive coordinator Dennis Allen, senior defensive assistant Peter Giunta, linebackers coach Michael Hodges, secondary coach Kris Richard, secondary assistant Cory Robinson and defensive assistant Jordan Traylor.

If you still have your head coach who is an offensive "mastermind" and your OC, you really should be doing better than 125 yards gained. I mean even the jest with Zach Wilson had a better offensive output against the Panthers and they still had their DC so really gotta wonder how you go from making Rodgers look like the jest version of Sam Darnold to Sam Darnold looking like Aaron Rodgers. Guess it was more Packers just not being prepared at all.
And people think payton has passed BB

I wonder about this criticism since a great majority of his long throws are right on target, even those that end up incompletions. The criticism isn;t that he CAN'T throw deep, but rather he hasn't thrown deep as much as we would like, even (as pointed out) when he has an opening.

Eventually there will be a game where the Pats get behind and the offense will have to air it out. Situational football.

And people think payton has passed BB

That was an easy and very much LAZY 'hot take" by Freeman, who tends to ride the "low hanging fruit" road to football analysis. I mean did these guy just forget that the Pats won the whole damned thing just 2 years ago. When was the last time Sean Peyton got to a superbowl?

That was an easy and very much LAZY 'hot take" by Freeman, who tends to ride the "low hanging fruit" road to football analysis. I mean did these guy just forget that the Pats won the whole damned thing just 2 years ago. When was the last time Sean Peyton got to a superbowl?
Not only won the SB 3 years ago, but formed a 2nd dynasty in the Cap Era, where no one GM or Coach has formed even one of them.

The bottom line is, the media has been getting it while the gettin's good with BB. The arrogance of telling the public Belichick doesn't have the right to rebuild his team in a thoughtful and strategic way.

When the dust clears, these morons will look like bigger morons.

Erik McCoy is on IR. As a result Ruiz is at C & they have a new RG. OL goes from arguably #1 to middle of the pack. It’s similar to the domino effect without Trent Brown so far.

The Saints offense is a mess. Pats should be able to have 8 in the box & take away Kamara. On defense they are missing Onyemata, Davenport, Alexander & potentially Lattimore.

Pats have to come out with a win given the Saints are missing so many starters IMO.
Agreed.

I also have a feeling they're going to open up the offense a tick. They need to get some kind of a rhythm going before Week 4. I'd like to see these talented players on offense let loose a little bit. Take off the kid gloves here and let's see some rhythm and balance.

And Dov Kleiman loves to pile on

Didn't they play the Panthers without any coaches at all?

Didn't they play the Panthers without any coaches at all?
No. If you saw my earlier post in this thread you'd see that the coach thing was no excuse against the Panthers. They still had 13 coaches available including their HC, OC and DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back