PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread- Colts @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing this would be game over.

He has 15 catches after eight games with just over 300 yards. And is never open.

Until yesterday, most of Mac's INT's were intended for Parker.

Parker is a 2/3 WR. He takes no pressure off of anyone.

That's what they thought they were getting?
Tua is very happy with the other two guys and it shows: Parker has nothing on them. That said he's has given us much more than Sanu ever did for a Second. :rolleyes:

He has 15 catches after eight games with just over 300 yards. And is never open.

Until yesterday, most of Mac's INT's were intended for Parker.

Parker is a 2/3 WR. He takes no pressure off of anyone.

That's what they thought they were getting?

15 rec for 300 is 20 yards per catch. Weren't people complaining about the lack of big pass plays. You can't say Parker hasn't made big plays this season.

1 int was after Parker got held
1 int was him and Jones not on the same page
the others were Jones forcing it

Anyone that thought they were getting a #1 WR that's on them. Parker is a intermediate to deep contest catch WR that can occasionally have a game like he did against the Ravens. He's a decent piece.

Parker going out hurt yesterday.

A game we should win but you can't be confident given the way Mac is playing against a good defense.
hard to evaluate a QB behind this terrible OLIne...but yes, hopefully he plays better

15 rec for 300 is 20 yards per catch. Weren't people complaining about the lack of big pass plays. You can't say Parker hasn't made big plays this season.

Anyone that thought they were getting a #1 WR that's on them. Parker is a intermediate to deep contest catch WR that can occasionally have a game like he did against the Ravens. He's a decent piece.

No one thought Parker was a 1. Most thought he was exactly how you described him. That and his injury history is why they got him for so little.

No one thought Parker was a 1. Most thought he was exactly how you described him. That and his injury history is why they got him for so little.
What's a 1?

This should be a very winnable game at home.

A number 1 receiver.
When you have a number 1 receiver, do you throw to him when some other "number" receiver is open and your "number 1" receiver is not?

I never see the number 1, 2, 3, etc. receiver identified on a play. How do these map to the X, Y, and Z?

If a "number 2" receiver caatches 10 TDs and goes for 1,000 yards, and a "number 1" receiver, as named ahead of time, is less productive, how can it be explained?

Isn't it possible that this "number 1 receiver" character is a ridiculous fan construct, heavily influenced by the WR1, WR2 setup (and draft strategies) of fantasy football? And if you insist on cutting off the WR talent at certain tiers, do those tiers stay the same when you imagine a player with an elite QB vs. with a rookie QB or a second year QB in a sophomore slump?

Parker's had a "number 1" stat year, and several that were not.

Parker, Agholor, and Thornton are all deep threats. Parker's a 20 yard per reception guy, but not a number 1. Bourne and Meyers are dependable, with comparable but different gifts. Recently I've seen it said that Meyers is quietly the best route-runner in the NFL. But you know, that's not "a number 1 receiver."

I'm not against some better receiver being acquired but the cupboard's not bare. This character, the "true number 1" receiver, would be emerging with a top tier QB. We have two who are promising, but they're not good. Mac, given Cooper Kupp, ccould probably competently keep Mr. Kupp afloat, but he would not be what you think of him as with Mac. Not to sound like Gisele, but he can't score TDs when the ball's thrown to the other team.

I would not be surprised if, for example, Parker were capable of a "number 1" performance with an established higher tier QB who's getting time to throw (and chooses to throw within that time.)

Tua is very happy with the other two guys and it shows: Parker has nothing on them. That said he's has given us much more than Sanu ever did for a Second. :rolleyes:
I mean, the other guys cost multiple first round draft picks and a bunch of other draft picks.

Not to mention the $25m+ salary for one of them

I can't believe how frustrated I'd be if I was Bourne. That many snaps @Jets and 1 target!?!
That's truly unacceptable. I'd say it about Thornton too, but he's a rookie.
Worst part is, Bourne is getting open a lot. I really hope Mac can open things up this week and spread it around to more than just Meyers or Rham.

Mac is not able to read more than intermediate routes and checkdowns in less than 2.5 seconds . Hence hitting mostly Rham or Meyers. If the OLine gives Mac 3-3.5 seconds , Thornton and Bourne should be in play .

And people disappointed with Parker.. you gotta be kidding. Parker has been a home run signing . He has produced already on his contract . Just do a comp with agholor and you will know .

We should just have left Wynn and Brown in respective tackle positions . Else we should have traded Wynn long back. This is probably the key reason for offensive disarray.

There is no such thing. A made-up term by non nfl people. No nfl team uses the term.
I was quoting someone else who was using it to mean the best receiver on the team.

I am pretty sure this is the week Hoyer can come off IR. I wouldn’t dress him game days, but with him off IR he can be on the sidelines and be an extra sounding board for Jones and Zappe. When he was on IR, he couldn’t be with the Patriots except for treatments.

A #1 receiver can do wonders for a QB though. Look at Joe Burrow last night without jamaar chase. He looked average.

Look at Tua this year with waddle/Hill vs the rest of his career. He suddenly looks "elite" is it a coincidence it's when he has receivers that are always open?

Heck even look at Brady with Moss vs 2006. He reached otherworldly levels. So this idea that you don't need elite talent doesn't really check out with me.

It stems on this board from the Patriots never getting that sort of receiver. But it kind of neglects that Gronkowski was that guy even though he was a tight end and not a receiver.

Coming off a win against the Jets, this is a winnable game against the Colts. I haven't seen them play this year, but know they just switched to Ehlinger at QB last week. Their offense is led by Jonathan Taylor and Michael Pittman and defensively then have Bukner and our old friend Stephon Gilmore. Another opportunity to shut down a young qb with a struggling offense.

Hopefully, we'll get back some of our injured players including Barmore, Dugger and Andrews. Our line is going to have to play better, it was a bad performance against the Jets. Would be nice to get a win over an AFC competitor.

Let's discuss!!!!

Agreed, we need to start stacking up AFC wins, the emotional roller-coaster that the team gives us each week . I still think this year is feeling like a developmental, bridge season.

I'm sure the franchise wants to win, But as the season progresses it just feels like it won't be the year we make the playoffs. Anything is possible but 2 looses against bills coming up. It's telling that the team hasn't made any moves at the trade deadline as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents