PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread- Colts @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have tickets to Sunday's game. This will be my first game since Brady's last game as a Pat. Hopefully this one ends on a better offensive note. :)

You know it's a sad state of affairs when you're reduced to starting Sam Ehlinger. Andrew Luck really screwed this franchise. All efforts to replace him have been an abysmal failure.
How do you know Ehlinger is bad?

Also Andrew Luck didn’t screw this franchise over, his GM Ryan Grigson screwed him and their fanbase over by not protecting Luck by putting good blocking around him.

Last edited:
I keep reading that Indy isn’t very good and they’ll be worse now with a second year QB under center and with Johnathan Taylor out.

Indy seemingly had issues with their OLine early on, but much like another team I’m thinking of, they have the talent to be one of the best in the league… and their payroll at OLine reflects that. Also many of their issues stemmed from their prior QB, who more often than not was their own worst enemy.

Deon Jackson, their backup RB is really talented, the last 2 games he started or played max snaps he put up 212 yards of total offense, 1 TD and averaged 4.2 yards a carry. He’s 5’11” 220 pounds and runs a 4.4, but we don’t need to be concerned about him.. right?

Ehlinger is green I guess, but not a rookie… and otherwise completed 83% of his passes, 4 TD’s and 0 INT’s this preseason including the Bills game where everyone played starters. He led a comeback win against Carolina, a pretty good deep D. Last week in his first regular season start/snaps ever he completed 74% of his passes for 200 yards and a 100.1 QB Rating.

We’ve been told Zappe isn’t very good because the Patriots schemed him to success… that he’s a career backup, a jag… even though he’s 2-0 as a starter and put up accuracy stats that haven’t been seen since the 1950’s. But we shouldn’t be concerned at all about Frank Reich and a guy who rushed for nearly 2000 yards and set the single season rushing TD record for QB’s at Texas… a school Vince Young attended. Reich can’t “scheme” him?

The Colts are a dangerous team, the Pats will have to play well to beat them.

Last edited:
I actually have tickets to Sunday's game. This will be my first game since Brady's last game as a Pat. Hopefully this one ends on a better offensive note. :)
No Taylor

Mac is ready to light it up.

Speaking about the Colts D their sack numbers are well distributed. Their sacks are not tied up into one or two guys like us. Colts can bring the heat inside and out.

Parker missing a game is no surprise. We all knew of his injury prone history. Hopefully he recovers from this new knee injury. What's dissapointing is his contributions for a dude that's played 85% of the O snaps the 1st 7 games: 15/27 for 321 yds, 1 TD (2 INT when he was targeted). He only played 1% in his last game when he got injured. Now he's out. This guy was supposed to be a difference maker. Just another underwhelming FA skill player. Fortunately, he wasn't expensive, so there's that.
Parker have shown heck of a lot more than the 11 Million dollar man Agholor. :rolleyes:

Parker missing a game is no surprise. We all knew of his injury prone history. Hopefully he recovers from this new knee injury. What's dissapointing is his contributions for a dude that's played 85% of the O snaps the 1st 7 games: 15/27 for 321 yds, 1 TD (2 INT when he was targeted). He only played 1% in his last game when he got injured. Now he's out. This guy was supposed to be a difference maker. Just another underwhelming FA skill player. Fortunately, he wasn't expensive, so there's that.
Here's a fun fact don't know if it has been brought up: Mac have his Three WR's from last year at his disposal minus Parker. Meyers - Bourne and Agholor I keep saying one day Agholor is going to breakout and then I woke up horrible dream.

Here's a fun fact don't know if it has been brought up: Mac have his Three WR's from last year at his disposal minus Parker. Meyers - Bourne and Agholor I keep saying one day Agholor is going to breakout and then I woke up horrible dream.
I'd rather see the opportunity to TT

"Suck for Luck" turned into "Get F***ed by Luck"
Luck ended up in Oslo having stem cells injected into his shoulder because he annually led the NFL in sacks, his offensive lines were abominable... explain how he screwed them?

They screwed him and themselves, the Colts should have been sued for negligence. He was the premier QB prospect of his generation and they blew it royally. They had a Colt's problem, a Ryan Grigson problem... not an Andrew Luck problem. They destroyed that guy's body. The wasn't his fault.

I keep reading that Indy isn’t very good and they’ll be worse now with a second year QB under center and with Johnathan Taylor out.

Indy seemingly had issues with their OLine early on, but much like another team I’m thinking of, they have the talent to be one of the best in the league… and their payroll at OLine reflects that. Also many of their issues stemmed from their prior QB, who more often than not was their own worst enemy.

Deon Jackson, their backup RB is really talented, the last 2 games he started or played max snaps he put up 212 yards of total offense, 1 TD and averaged 4.2 yards a carry. He’s 5’11” 220 pounds and runs a 4.4, but we don’t need to be concerned about him.. right?

Ehlinger is green I guess, but not a rookie… and otherwise completed 83% of his passes, 4 TD’s and 0 INT’s this preseason including the Bills game where everyone played starters. He led a comeback to win a game against Carolina, a pretty good deep D. Last week in his first regular season start/snaps ever he completed 74% of his passes for 200 yards and a 100.1 QB Rating.

We’ve been told Zappe isn’t very good because the Patriots schemed him to success… that he’s a career backup, a jag… even though he’s 2-0 as a starter and put up accuracy stats that haven’t been seen since the 1950’s. But we shouldn’t be concerned at all about Frank Reich and a guy who rushed for nearly 2000 yards and set the single season rushing TD record for QB’s at Texas… a school Vince Young attended. Reich can’t “scheme” him?

The Colts are a dangerous team, the Pats will have to play well to beat them.

If the Patriots defense doesn't shut down this Colts team, Mayo and SB should be tarred and feathered. Not that the Colts aren't capable of posing a challenge as you suggest, but because this is the type of outfit you make a statement against at home if the Pats hope to go anywhere this season. Stud RB out, quarterback making his second start, OL having problems (like ours) and turnover prone. That SHOULD represent a team ripe for the picking. The only way New England loses this one is by turning the ball over multiple times offensively.

If the Patriots defense doesn't shut down this Colts team, Mayo and SB should be tarred and feathered. Not that the Colts aren't capable of posing a challenge as you suggest, but because this is the type of outfit you make a statement against at home if the Pats hope to go anywhere this season. Stud RB out, quarterback making his second start, OL having problems (like ours) and turnover prone. That SHOULD represent a team ripe for the picking. The only way New England loses this one is by turning the ball over multiple times offensively.
If their O-Line is playing like they are capable of, if their D shows up, if Deon Jackson and Ehlinger are much better than people realize... there's no easy game here.

I'm not saying that's the case with Ehlinger, I don't know how he will react under real pressure and bright lights... but the possibility he can be good or great exists. Draft status means absolutely nothing once you enter the league, the only thing that matters is how you play. He was good and accurate in college, in preseason, and now last week in his first start... you can't assume anything.

If their O-Line is playing like they are capable of, if their D shows up, if Deon Jackson and Ehlinger are much better than people realize... there's no easy game here.

I'm not saying that's the case with Ehlinger, I don't know how he will react under real pressure and bright lights... but the possibility he can be good or great exists. Draft status means absolutely nothing once you enter the league, the only thing that matters is how you play. He was good and accurate in college, in preseason, and now last week in his first start... you can't assume anything.

I expect the Colts defense to be tough, especially against the Pats' undermanned OL. Calling for caution against the Colts is a good thing, I hope the Patriots are taking them as seriously as they did the Jete last week.

How do you know Ehlinger is bad?

Also Andrew Luck didn’t screw this franchise over, his GM Ryan Grigson screwed him and their fanbase over by not protecting Luck by putting good blocking around him.
The funny thing is they didn't draft a single QB from 2012 (Luck) until the draft after he retired (2020). Sounds like playing Candyland while others were playing checkers or chess. As I'm sure lots know, what's funny is they actually picked up that stud All Pro LG in 2018 the year after Luck was injured for the year, bypassing Josh Allen and Lamar.

Also, Luck held the ball too long much of the time, and had his best Time to Throw season during his last year, when the damage was already done.

Last edited:
Luck ended up in Oslo having stem cells injected into his shoulder because he annually led the NFL in sacks, his offensive lines were abominable... explain how he screwed them?

They screwed him and themselves, the Colts should have been sued for negligence. He was the premier QB prospect of his generation and they blew it royally. They had a Colt's problem, a Ryan Grigson problem... not an Andrew Luck problem. They destroyed that guy's body. The wasn't his fault.
I know the Colts had a HORRIBLE OL when Luck was there, but hadn't they FINALLY put together one of the better OL's the last few years. I'm not sure about any injuries they've had but IIRC the Colts OL should be one of their strengths. Am I wrong here?

The other big strength is their 2ndary. Gilmore is still playing very well and their S's are strong.

BOTTOM LINE - This is going to be a close game that will be won in the 4th quarter by the team that makes the most "chunk plays" (20+yds), has the the most TA's, the fewest penalty yds, and the fewest mental mistakes. Just like EVERY other football game we watch.

They were bad but come on. The dude retired at an incredibly early age especially for a QB. They had also pretty much resolved their OL situation right at the same time he decided to peace out.

I don’t think his decision was necessarily a bad one, everyone needs to make the right choice for them, but it’s silly to say that the Colts didn’t get screwed in that situation. And they deserved it!

I'm more worried about the OL this game. Was a sieve against the jets and now another starter is out.

So back to Wynn who has regressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back