PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

Good morning Cousins.
I awake as my "season" has begun.
Started off my morning with a little OJ and a hot cup of coffee with a mocha chocolate sweetener. Then I was treated to a large coffer cake muffin heated just right so as not to dry out.

Gesicki would be a stalwart pick up. I don't want to use him as Hunter's replacement but as perhaps the Hernandez Wing Back TE role. At 235 Lbs, Hernandez wasn't blocking anybody. Gesicki will occasionally play on the line but makes his money in the slot. 2022 was an outlier for him. They tried to have him as an "on the line TE" . And with Waddle and Hill his targets decreased. "Mike Gesicki played more snaps out of the slot than any other TE in 2021 as he set career highs in yards/catches. He considers himself a big slot WR" 2022 being a down year for him could have a price advantage.
I want to keep Hunter. Now you have two red zone threats. Meyers was a nice target but was not that guy.

Now I look at him to play slot and be a reliable target for Jones. He needs that saftey blanket and Meyers will command somewhere north of $16mm. Good for him. Bad for us.

Not a locker room politician, he would fit our culture.
Now I would look to trade Jonnu Smith. He has value. He was not used correctly by Patricia. He could be the Evan Engram TE/WR hybrid in 2023 for somebody. He is not a "move-the-chains" guy like Gesicki that we need we will lose in Meyers. Someone used the comparison of Jimmy Graham#2 for Mike. I would take that.
DW Toys
Welcome back.......

Good morning Cousins.
Started off my morning with a little OJ and a hot cup of coffee with a mocha chocolate sweetener. Then I was treated to a large coffer cake muffin heated just right so as not to dry out.

Gesicki would be a stalwart pick up. I don't want to use him as Hunter's replacement but as perhaps the Hernandez Wing Back TE role. At 235 Lbs, Hernandez wasn't blocking anybody. Gesicki will occasionally play on the line but makes his money in the slot. 2022 was an outlier for him. They tried to have him as an "on the line TE" . And with Waddle and Hill his targets decreased. "Mike Gesicki played more snaps out of the slot than any other TE in 2021 as he set career highs in yards/catches. He considers himself a big slot WR" 2022 being a down year for him could have a price advantage.
I want to keep Hunter. Now you have two red zone threats. Meyers was a nice target but was not that guy.

Now I look at him to play slot and be a reliable target for Jones. He needs that saftey blanket and Meyers will command somewhere north of $16mm. Good for him. Bad for us.

Now I would look to trade Jonnu Smith. He has value. He was not used correctly by Patricia. He could be the Evan Engram TE/WR hybrid in 2023 for somebody. He is not a "move-the-chains" guy like Gesicki that we need we will lose in Meyers. Someone used the comparison of Jimmy Graham#2 for Mike. I would take that.
DW Toys
No Cousins...Jonnu Smith cannot be Traded with that ridiculous contract this year: based on his two years here he has no value to another Team. The FA TE's mentioned above are better and more valuable to Teams looking for one. We know why Mike Gisicki's numbers dropped last year I would love for us to pursue him and use him in the Slot as you said. We need to get back the middle of the field. I wouldn't be against Trading H Henry he has more value than Jonnu Smith.

Good morning Cousins.

DW Toys
Does the arrival of BoB sway your opinion about the current status of our TE room? Give him the opportunity to maybe get more out of them? I understand the desire to get cheaper deals, but the guys available are rather pedestrian imo

Does the arrival of BoB sway your opinion about the current status of our TE room? Give him the opportunity to maybe get more out of them? I understand the desire to get cheaper deals, but the guys available are rather pedestrian imo
I would say Mike Gesicki and Austin Hooper have valid excuses Gesicki was in an Offense that he made him an after thought Hill and Waddle. Austin Hooper ran into QB problems after leaving Atlanta two years in Cleveland Mayfield one year with Tannehill. :rolleyes: Look at both their numbers before their changed circumstance I would prefer either going forward.

Good morning Cousins.

DW Toys

Welcome back Cousin! In your honor, the Bruins have also recalled Our Cousin Vinnie Lettieri from Providence... Double win.

Right now I'm on my second cuppa Red Rose tea with skim milk & half-Splenda/sugar sweetener mix... Also had my daily banana plus a Pillsbury bacon/egg/cheese Scrambler toaster sammich...

Don't know how much I'm willing to commit scarce resources into Yet Another FA TE... I think for now that I prefer to draft one of Darnell Washington at 46 or Tucker Kraft at 76... If neither of them is available then I'll revisit the TE situation... For now however I want to see what we can do to help the Kardashian-sized holes at OT, CB, WR, LB & FS before spending any money elsewhere...

Agree it has to be line or if Bob thinks he sees the next Hopkins.
My hope is BB stays far away from the offense during the draft.
I am always prepared for the "best player available" pick.. I feel like we are ripe for a DT/DE type pick.

I would say Mike Gesicki and Austin Hooper have valid excuses Gesicki was in an Offense that he made him an after thought Hill and Waddle. Austin Hooper ran into QB problems after leaving Atlanta two years in Cleveland Mayfield one year with Tannehill. :rolleyes: Look at both their numbers before their changed circumstance I would prefer either going forward.
yeah, never really thought of them as anything but jags... Hunter Henry I want to keep... Smith I dont really care too much about... if he went away, i don't think i'd notice...

yeah, never really thought of them as anything but jags... Hunter Henry I want to keep... Smith I dont really care too much about... if he went away, i don't think i'd notice...
I agree I know Bob is a very good OC but he can't work miracles and Jonnu needs one. I wouldn't mind Jonnu being a #3 TE I don't want going into the season feeling like we have to depend on him. Jonnu had 50 more yards with real OC the year before I have just about given up on him.

I wonder if the team will spend big in free agency when it opens.

I suspect they will go back to being patient, waiting until they get bargains when free agency starts to thin out. I don't expect them to come out as aggressive as they were two years ago. I expect the better players the Pats add will come via trade not free agency.

It was be fascinating to see what positions the Pats fill in free agency and what they leave for the draft.

If we lose Meyers, perhaps it would force BOB to design more plays for Smith Cousin.
He has speed and talent. I believe Smith had a faster 40 than Meyers.

We have to find a "move the sticks" guy. Maybe it's Smith. I think it could be a guy like Gesicki who can play many roles.
DW Toys

I wonder if the team will spend big in free agency when it opens.

I suspect they will go back to being patient, waiting until they get bargains when free agency starts to thin out. I don't expect them to come out as aggressive as they were two years ago. I expect the better players the Pats add will come via trade not free agency.

It was be fascinating to see what positions the Pats fill in free agency and what they leave for the draft.
i dont think we will add day one players in free agency... but it wouldn't surprise me if we added a bit of depth in the following few days... Our Oline was exposed for having no quality depth... and there are a few decent interior DL players who could fill gaps, so we dont feel the need to address that area right away in the draft...

i dont think we will add day one players in free agency... but it wouldn't surprise me if we added a bit of depth in the following few days... Our Oline was exposed for having no quality depth... and there are a few decent interior DL players who could fill gaps, so we dont feel the need to address that area right away in the draft...
Is there any notable names on the Oline that we may kick the tires on?

Is there any notable names on the Oline that we may kick the tires on?
i was looking thru the list, and to be quite honest, i had no idea who most of those guys were... I'd need to do some digging to determine who is worth their salt, and who isnt... just dont know enough about the other teams players to give an honest assessment...

i was looking thru the list, and to be quite honest, i had no idea who most of those guys were... I'd need to do some digging to determine who is worth their salt, and who isnt... just dont know enough about the other teams players to give an honest assessment...
I was just wondering because the Chefs after the loss vs the Bucs fixed the Oline through FA and draft as well as the Chargers this past year

I was just wondering because the Chefs after the loss vs the Bucs fixed the Oline through FA and draft as well as the Chargers this past year
yeah, for some reason i dont think we'd drop 30m combined on Orlando Brown and Joe Thuney, even if they (or guys of their caliber) were available

posted this in the Toys thread, meant to post it here...

would anyone take a flier on the saints Michael Thomas? he reworked his deal so the saints take a lesser hit when he goes... so he will be available...

i will say up front that the guy has needed an emergency room on the sidelines over the past few seasons, but would you take him a one year prove-it deal? He's not getting the big bucks because of his injury history imo... could be an interesting prospective signing...

any interest or a hard pass?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back