PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Draft State of the AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripatsfan91

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I was talking with someone today about the rankings of teams in the AFC. Basically, what are the power rankings of the AFC so far next year. I used a lot of speculation about the post-draft rosters will look like and "potential" of certain teams. To summarize, I think Chiefs and the Bengals are going to fall off the most. To better define the teams, I have split the teams into tiers:

1. Pats
2. Broncos

3. Colts

4. Ravens
5. Chargers

6. Houston
7.Chiefs
8. Cincy
9. Cleveland

10. Jets
11. Steelers
12. Dolphins
13. Titans

14. Buffalo

15. Jax
16 Oakland

I was talking with someone today about the rankings of teams in the AFC. Basically, what are the power rankings of the AFC so far next year. I used a lot of speculation about the post-draft rosters will look like and "potential" of certain teams. To summarize, I think Chiefs and the Bengals are going to fall off the most. To better define the teams, I have split the teams into tiers:

1. Pats
2. Broncos

3. Colts

4. Ravens
5. Chargers

6. Houston
7.Chiefs
8. Cincy
9. Cleveland

10. Jets
11. Steelers
12. Dolphins
13. Titans

14. Buffalo

15. Jax
16 Oakland

I like this. I like the way you split it up, and I mostly agree.

Except I don't think the Buffalo Bills are that bad. Not even close. EJ Manuel should improve as well. They could be a decent team..... not much worse than the Jets.

1. Pats
2. Broncos

3. Colts

4. Ravens
5. Chargers

6. Houston
7.Chiefs
8. Cincy
9. Cleveland

10. Jets
11. Steelers
12. Dolphins
13. Titans

14. Buffalo

15. Jax
16 Oakland

I agree for the most part:
1. Pats
2. Donks

3. Colts

<HUGE dropoff>

4. Chargers
5. Cincy
6. Ravens
7. Chiefs

8. Houston
9. Titans
10. Steelers
11. Dolphins
12. Jets
13. Buffalo
14 Cleveland
15. Oakland
16. Jax

15&16 - switch as Oakland has the marginally better QB (words I never thought I would say)

1. Pats
2. Broncos

3. Colts

4. Ravens
5. Chargers

6. Houston
7.Chiefs
8. Cincy
9. Cleveland

10. Jets
11. Steelers
12. Dolphins
13. Titans

14. Buffalo

15. Jax
16 Oakland

Not a bad list. Thanks.

Interesting that you have the Chargers and Ravens next to each other in their own category. That's smart because they both rise or fall depending on the performance of a very good but inconsistent QB. Either team has the potential to move up or down depending on the seasons they have.
I agree with the poster who would move Buffalo up. Also, i never underestimate a team with Big Ben.

Being honest, i think Oakland is not as bad as it's listed. It made some solid signings, has a average QB (Which is more than a lot of teams). Still bad, but not Jaguars Bad.

Also, KC is too high. They won 10 games thanks to ridiculously easy schedule. Would be surprised if they were 8-8 this year.

1. Pats
2. Broncos

3. Colts

4. Chargers
5. Ravens
6. cincy

7.Houston
8. Cleveland
9. Steelers

10. Dolphins (Tenehill is getting better)
11. KC
12. Dolphins
13. Buffalo
14 Oakland
15. Titans

16. Jax

1. Pats/Broncos

3. Colts

4. Everyone else

Broncos
Patriots

Colts
Bengals

Chiefs (could fall anywhere in this group)
Ravens
Steelers (Could flip with Jets)
Jets
Dolphins

Titans
Bills
Browns (I leave them here until I see the QB)
Texans (I leave them here until I see the QB)
Raiders
Jaguars

1. Pats/Broncos

3. Browns with Manziel+solid draft (Lee/Beckham, Mason, etc)

4. Colts

1/1A Pats/Broncos top 2 seeds
3/4 Colts/Bengals division favorites

5-8
Chargers
Chiefs
Ravens
Steelers wild card contenders, long shot div winners

9-12
Jets
Dolphins
Raiders
Browns no shot at a division title, could contend for wc if a lot of things go right

13-15
Titans
Bills
Texans looks rough, but one will probably surprise and at least contend and be over .500

Jags Abysmal

Broncos
Patriots

to be the man you gotta beat the man.

Broncos have to be number 1, until they lose a bunch, or the pats beat them, unfortunately.

I don't know how anyone can have Houston so high with their QB situation so up in the air. They aren't going anywhere with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I won't give a real rank (although (I try to list them as I see them ranked), but I will group them:

Elite
Pats
Broncos

Likely in the Playoffs
Colts
Cincy
Chiefs

Playoff Contenders
Chargers
Dolphins
Ravens
Steelers
Jets
Raiders

The Rest
Cleveland
Titans
Browns
Texans
Bills
Jags

to be the man you gotta beat the man.

Broncos have to be number 1, until they lose a bunch, or the pats beat them, unfortunately.

That was the 2013 Broncos. What that team did does not count in the 2014 standings.

I don't know how anyone can have Houston so high with their QB situation so up in the air. They aren't going anywhere with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I won't give a real rank (although (I try to list them as I see them ranked), but I will group them:

Elite
Pats
Broncos

Likely in the Playoffs
Colts
Cincy
Chiefs

Playoff Contenders
Chargers
Dolphins
Ravens
Steelers
Jets
Raiders

The Rest
Cleveland
Titans
Browns
Texans
Bills
Jags

I totally disagree with your ranking of Cleveland higher than the Browns.
Come on, don't you watch games?

That was the 2013 Broncos. What that team did does not count in the 2014 standings.

Besides didn't the Pats "beat the man" last year even after spotting them a 24-0 lead at halftime

Elite
Pats
Broncos

Likely in the Playoffs
Colts
Cincy
Chiefs

Playoff Contenders
Chargers
Dolphins
Ravens
Steelers
Jets
Raiders

The Rest
Cleveland
Titans
Browns
Texans
Bills
Jags

I think Cincy and Chiefs are too high. Chiefs will be playing a MUCH tougher schedule and were exposed late in the season last year. I mean look at their schedule; they don't have one win against an impressive team and every "good" team they played beat them. I think Cincy is gonna drop off with Zimmer leaving along with Michael Johnson. Marvin Lewis doesn't exactly inspire confidence or competence. I see both teams being around .500, probably 9-7 or 8-8.

I totally disagree with your ranking of Cleveland higher than the Browns.
Come on, don't you watch games?

Oops! I knew the number was off.

I agree and also add to that the broncos have a difficult schedule next year, including NFC West. I think they will go 12-4 or 11-5.

I'm surprised people think the Colts are so good. The Chiefs would have beat IMO if they didn't lose tons of players to injuries in the playoff game. And the Ravens seem to be getting underrated.

I would have it like this

Broncos
Pats

Ravens
Bengals
Chiefs/Colts
Steelers

Chargers

Everyone else

I for one think the AFCE is going to be much improved.

The Bills DL is one of the best in the league, so is the Jets DL, and Miami isn't too far behind. If you were honest and had to rate the DL's at this point the Pats would be 4th in the division.

Of course a lot will be dependent on how well the young QB's within the division develop. QB dominance, coaching and continuity has been why the Pats, have remained on top of the division for so long. Every team gave us problems last season, and 2 beat us. You have to think that out of 3 very young QB's in the division, at least one will develop into a quality NFL QB.

With the exception of QB, there really isn't a whole lot differentiating the rest of the rosters if you look strictly at physical talent. I think the common wisdom nationally is to denigrate the AFCE because the Pats have been so dominant. But IIRC the division was one of the better ones when you consider the total wins.

BOTTOM LINE - I know the Pats will be better this season, but so will the Bills and Miami. I think the Jets will be the bottom feeders this year, but with 16 draft picks in a very good draft, and lots of cap space to play with, in 2015 and 16 the Jets could be a hard team to beat, especially if Smith develops into a capable QB by then

I for one think the AFCE is going to be much improved.

The Bills DL is one of the best in the league, so is the Jets DL, and Miami isn't too far behind. If you were honest and had to rate the DL's at this point the Pats would be 4th in the division.

Of course a lot will be dependent on how well the young QB's within the division develop. QB dominance, coaching and continuity has been why the Pats, have remained on top of the division for so long. Every team gave us problems last season, and 2 beat us. You have to think that out of 3 very young QB's in the division, at least one will develop into a quality NFL QB.

The Jets have Mike Vick now so I would imagine Geno is out of the picture for the next couple of years...or until Vick gets injured. I'm not sure who he will throw to or hand the ball off to. I imagine Decker will see a huge decline in state moving from Manning to Vick or possibly Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes