PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice Squad Taking Shape

I thought it was so that his salary wouldn't be guaranteed?

I may be confused...I thought I read about this being a possibility somewhere. But that might have been re: Fells, not Washington.

Thats the misconception.The truth is if BB wanted him on the team he wouldn't cut him to potentially save a modest amount of money. The savings isn't worth 1 game without a player you want, much less the risk of losing a player you want.

He does it all the time with vested vets, Branch last year and Gerard Warren in 2011 immediately jump to mind, but I'm sure there are more.
No he really doesn't. Those players were cut because they didn't make the team.
To fit the cut to not guarantee salary claim, they would have to have been brought back after week 1. Neither was.

Of course, you can find examples to prove that they just weren't interested, like Gaffney last year, but on the whole, it is reasonable to believe that they are still interested in Leon, they just wanted to take a week to massage the roster with all the claims.
Im sure under some circumstances they would consider him a pickup, but he wasn't cut just to avoid guaranteeing his salary.

No he really doesn't. Those players were cut because they didn't make the team.
To fit the cut to not guarantee salary claim, they would have to have been brought back after week 1. Neither was.

Im sure under some circumstances they would consider him a pickup, but he wasn't cut just to avoid guaranteeing his salary.

I never said that they were cut to avoid guaranteeing the salary, that was someone else's point.

However, what I said earlier is 100% accurate. Bill cuts vested vets (who avoid waivers and are good shadow roster candidates) with the idea of potentially bringing them back all the time.

TO SUMMARIZE

The Practice Squad will change many times, For now, with one opening, there seems to be reasonable coverage of the various positions. We now have one each of

OG
OT
WR
DT
LB
CB
S/ST

We have no QB, RB or DE.

Didn't I read somewhere that Leon was having a workout with another team? ( Giants maybe?)

Thats the misconception.The truth is if BB wanted him on the team he wouldn't cut him to potentially save a modest amount of money. The savings isn't worth 1 game without a player you want, much less the risk of losing a player you want.

It's called roster flexibility. Players get cut all the time, some get brought back, some don't. It doesn't make sense to guarantee Deion Branch or Gerard Warren a full years pay if you're not sure they'll be there the whole year. If Branch was on the opening day roster he would have cost the team an additional $500,000 for the six games he wasn't on the roster last year.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back