PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice Squad Taking Shape

Davis looked good on Special Teams. He has a reasonable chance in being caleed up in a week of need/injury on the ST's.

We don't need a RB on the Practice Squad.

The new admissions to Dante's Academy have yet to be named. Kline seems very likely. Both the recently signed interior lineman seems reasonable, Kopa is possible.

Davis, Kanorris - ugh! :eek:
Where is George Winn? How about some toys for Dante Scarnecchia?

I hope BB has better success with the Rutgers guys than he did with the Florida guys.

Dill was a draftable/Priority UDFA prospect who was more highly regarded than Mattes,
Schwab & McDonald, so this is a good signing. The only drawback is that he probably
will never be able to play adequate LT in the NFL for the NEP, but we do need to have a
Tackle on the PS to try to develop as a possible Swing, so he's worth a shot.

2013-14 New England Patriots practice squad

I'm not understanding the distaste for Kanorris Davis.

Thought he looked pretty good on special teams.

On top of that considering the alternative backups/depth at safety (T Wilson, Harmon, Ebner), it seems like it would be wise to retain a player that has had a full off season learning the team's system.

What street free agent is going to perform better if suddenly counted on to play ST, which is what the #6 S would be expected to do?

Re: Re: Practice Squad Taking Shape

On top of that considering the alternative backups/depth at safety (T Wilson, Harmon, Ebner), it seems like it would be wise to retain a player that has had a full off season learning the team's system.

What street free agent is going to perform better if suddenly counted on to play ST, which is what the #6 S would be expected to do?

Malcolm Williams 2.0 maybe which would not be a terrible use of a practice squad spot for.

2013-14 New England Patriots practice squad

Sims, Quentin - thumbs up :D

Forston, Marcus - okay

Tarpinian, Jeff - okay

Davis, Ja'Gared - who? :confused:

Green, Justin - ugh! :eek:

Where is George Winn? How about some toys for Dante Scarnecchia?

Personally I'm over Tarpinian the guys been on the roster or practice squad for 3 years but yet we had to claim Chris White to fill the role he has been being groomed for over his entire tenure.

I just want a developmental QB. :(

Less on emphasis on special teams, greater emphasis of developing a safety who can actually play defense.

Who ended up with DTs Jaye Howard and Marvin Austin?

Howard went to KC and I don't really think Austin is a good idea, he is lazy and has character issues, basically he is Ron Brace gone thug.

Less on emphasis on special teams, greater emphasis of developing a safety who can actually play defense.

That could be high aspirations for a practice squad player.

That's fine.

What's the superior alternative?

Is there a reason to conclude that Davis cannot play defense, or more specifically that somebody else can play the position better than he can?

Unless there is a demonstrably better player available, then I don't understand why the rush to dump a player that has been with the club learning the system for months, in favor of a raw street free agent - just five days away from kickoff at a position in which the team may very well be counting on a practice squad player sooner rather than later.

If another player is an upgrade, then I'm all for it.

If it's change for the sake of change, I'm questioning the rationale.

That's fine.

What's the superior alternative?

Is there a reason to conclude that Davis cannot play defense, or more specifically that somebody else can play the position better than he can?
The New England Patriots have a defensive secondary chalk full of special teams players:

Arrington, Kyle
Cole, Marquice
Ryan, Logan
Ebner, Nate
Harmon, Duron
McCourty, Devin
Wilson, Tavon

How about a running back instead of a safety?

LeGarrette Blount and Leon Washington will both be unrestricted free agents next season.

Sterling Moore

Derrick Martin

I just want a developmental QB. :(

I'm with you ct. The longer we go without trying to develop another QB, the more likely Mallett will be finishing out his pact here and not bringing something back in compensation (if that was ever even a possibility to begin with). To be honest I am personally fine with Mallett as the backup again next season, but I thought it was worth pondering since we'll continue to hear the debates about him being traded again for the next 12+ months.

I think it may be difficult to draft another QB or pick one up via UDFA route in the spring and expect him to be able to handle the backup role for 2014 in such a short amount of time. If we're going to bring in someone to compete for the backup role on a serious level, it would probably have to be done some point this year. I could be way off, but that's something to think about. IIRC, I believe that they kept Hoyer on too until they felt Mallett was fully ready to take over the role by himself last summer. I'd have a hard time imagining something different as it pertains to dumping Mallett for a draft pick in the spring. I think he's here to stay through 2014 unless we bring someone else in soon and he really blossoms by late spring/early summer.

Howard went to KC and I don't really think Austin is a good idea, he is lazy and has character issues, basically he is Ron Brace gone thug.

Yeah it's somewhat surprising that Marvin Austin hasn't been claimed by now as a 2nd round pick in 2011, but as you said he had character issues both in the NCAA's and the pros. You should check out some of his past tweets for proof... I'm not so sure that he'd be a good fit for this team, but his on the field production and upside is enticing on some level for sure, especially at a position that we're not exactly stacked at. That's a decision that Belichick will earn his money making, and we'll have to support either way :)

In the meantime, it doesn't seem like there are a ton of teams beating down his door at the moment although I'm sure someone will certainly take a shot with him.

There's definitely a part of me that wants to see if he can fit in here though, I'm not going to lie.

We will need a backup QB for 2015. The to start is now. If he is good enough and enveloped enough to be our #2 next year, so much the better. At some point this player is worth a spot on the 53.

I'm with you ct. The longer we go without trying to develop another QB, the more likely Mallett will be finishing out his pact here and not bringing something back in compensation (if that was ever even a possibility to begin with). To be honest I am personally fine with Mallett as the backup again next season, but I thought it was worth pondering since we'll continue to hear the debates about him being traded again for the next 12+ months.

I think it may be difficult to draft another QB or pick one up via UDFA route in the spring and expect him to be able to handle the backup role for 2014 in such a short amount of time. If we're going to bring in someone to compete for the backup role on a serious level, it would probably have to be done some point this year. I could be way off, but that's something to think about. IIRC, I believe that they kept Hoyer on too until they felt Mallett was fully ready to take over the role by himself last summer. I'd have a hard time imagining something different as it pertains to dumping Mallett for a draft pick in the spring. I think he's here to stay through 2014 unless we bring someone else in soon and he really blossoms by late spring/early summer.

Yeah it's somewhat surprising that Marvin Austin hasn't been claimed by now as a 2nd round pick in 2011, but as you said he had character issues both in the NCAA's and the pros. You should check out some of his past tweets for proof... I'm not so sure that he'd be a good fit for this team, but his on the field production and upside is enticing on some level for sure, especially at a position that we're not exactly stacked at. That's a decision that Belichick will earn his money making, and we'll have to support either way :)

In the meantime, it doesn't seem like there are a ton of teams beating down his door at the moment although I'm sure someone will certainly take a shot with him.

There's definitely a part of me that wants to see if he can fit in here though, I'm not going to lie.

We will need a backup QB for 2015. The time to start is now. If he is good enough and enveloped enough to be our #2 next year, so much the better. At some point this player is worth a spot on the 53.

Sure, but I am just commenting on the ongoing saga/speculation that Ryan Mallett will be bringing us some type of trade compensation prior to his pact being up at the end of next season.

If there is any possibility to that, then the Pats would need to bring in a developmental QB (or two) quite soon, and even if that happened the chances of them being able to unseat Mallett as the QB2 by next summer so that we could make a trade wouldn't be very high in my opinion.

In other words, Mallett probably isn't going anywhere just based on the fact that they weren't attempting to explore this situation now--unless you count the Tebow situation, and I'm not touching that subject with a 10 ft pole since he wasn't much of a real threat to be an actual backup QB in my opinion.

All signs would point to Mallett finishing him pact here and the NEP choosing NOT to try and receive any compensation for him as many expected.

Two offensive tackles fill up the practice squad

OT Jordan Devey
OT RJ Dill

Ravens make roster moves: sign Gerrard Sheppard, Jonas Gray to practice squad, cut Jordan Devey | Baltimore Sun

Devey practiced Sunday with the Ravens after being signed with the practice squad, but was only on the practice squad for one day before having his contract terminated today.​

Memphis Tigers Official Athletic Site | Jordan Devey

Two-year starter at the University of Memphis who played every snap of his career ... Transferred to Memphis from Snow College ... During career started 24 games at three offensive line positions (right tackle, right guard, left tackle) for the Blue and Gray ... Worked every snap during his career as a Tiger - 1,558 plays ... Started at left guard for the East team at the 2013 East-West Shrine Game.

Member of head coach Justin Fuente's initial Leadership Council during senior year ... During senior season culminating in receiving the DeAngelo Williams Most Valuable Player Award started 10 games at left tackle and two at left guard ... Played three different positions (left tackle, left guard and right guard) in victories over Rice and UAB ... Started the first five games at left tackle before seeing playing time at multiple positions against Rice, ECU and UCF ... in addition to playing three different positions for a second time during the year against UAB, also played both left tackle and left guard in a season-culminating win against Southern Miss ... began the year by playing 72 snaps against UT Martin ... played 70+ plays four times during the season including a season-high 84 plays against Marshall.​

Scout.com: R.J. Dill Profile

Dill has a tall, lean frame to mold and shows good burst off the snap. He can get to the second level in a hurry and is also a threat on the perimeter, doing a nice job to make room for the ball carrier out in space. He is a strong run blocker and plays with a nasty streak, however he tends to get a bit upright at times and get off balance, something that can be corrected easily. Dill has all the intangibles you look for in offensive linemen.

Strengths: Aggressiveness/Tenacity; Nasty Streak; Size
Areas for Improvement: Body Control and Balance; Technique​

R.J. Dill's Transfer to Rutgers Was More Than a Football Move - NY Times

And the people at Rutgers like Dill. Gary Nova, the sophomore quarterback who has improved dramatically this year, dresses next to Dill in the locker room and peppers the lineman he calls Old Man with questions and observations.

“He’s like a big brother in my ear,” Nova said.

Nova also said of Dill: “He’s a guy who chose to be part of our family. He gives it all he’s got while he’s playing. We really appreciate that. He helps out a lot of young guys we have on our offensive line. He’s always talking, giving us advice. He’s been through ups and downs in his career.”

Dill began spring practice on the second team, but he won a starting job with persistence. Khaseem Greene, the senior linebacker who is an N.F.L. prospect and one of the Scarlet Knights’ vocal leaders, said Dill did not coast on his reputation when he arrived.

“Just seeing how much of a team player he is, and his work ethic, it carries over to his game,” Greene said. “He’s a strong, physical guy, and it definitely helps to have him protecting Gary.”​

Last edited:
All signs would point to Mallett finishing him pact here and the NEP choosing NOT to try and receive any compensation for him as many expected.

OTOH, remember that they had Brian Hoyer, as an UDFA rookie, as Brady's only backup in 2009.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back