Practice notes 8-26-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuma

Hall of Fame Benchwarmer
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Last edited:

Here’s how I view the position as we enter the final week of the preseason (excludes special teamer Matthew Slater):

Roster Locks: Julian Edelman, N’Keal Harry, Josh Gordon
On the Team: Phillip Dorsett, Jakobi Meyers
On the Bubble: Demaryius Thomas, Braxton Berrios, Gunner Olszewski

Many, including myself, have theorized that the Patriots might explore formations with four wide receivers due to their depleted tight end group.

Based on what we know, the Patriots will likely go with six wide receivers on the initial 53-man roster. The idea of carrying an extra wide receiver assumes that the team will only go with two tight ends.

If that’s the case, my guess is that the following six players will make the roster: Julian Edelman, N’Keal Harry, Josh Gordon, Phillip Dorsett, Demaryius Thomas and Jakobi Meyers.

However, if Thomas doesn’t show the team something in the ten days he has to work with before roster cuts, a healthy Berrios would be my next man up.

Seeing rumors tossed around on Twitter that David Andrews is potentially dealing with blood clots. Others saying a possible head injury. Haven’t seen any credible reports yet? Guess will just hope for the best. :(

However, if Thomas doesn’t show the team something in the ten days he has to work with before roster cuts, a healthy Berrios would be my next man up.
Gunner Olszewski has more upside, IMO, and also has more special teams value. That's despite Berrios being my binky.

Last edited:
Seeing rumors tossed around on Twitter that David Andrews is potentially dealing with blood clots. Others saying a possible head injury. Haven’t seen any credible reports yet? Guess will just hope for the best. :(

Man that would be a bummer. Hope that's not the case.

DT BYRON COWART Cowart appears to be pushing for a starting job as a fifth-round pick. He’s been a late-riser in training camp. Defensive line coach Bret Bielema: “Byron, in general, I would say he’s a guy the good lord has blessed with a lot of tools. He definitely has great power, great strength. He’s very, very coachable. Good football IQ. He learns. He’s a guy that after he’d been here for a while, he quickly realized literally the pressure to get better every day. I think that’s the biggest thing that you’ll experience from the college to the NFL is there’s no redshirt year, no development time. It’s literally you’re evaluated and judged on a daily performance, and he’s really adapted to that very well.”

OL HJALTE FROHOLDT The Denmark-native has received a ton of reps this preseason. He’s been up and down through three games and is likely to be behind veteran Ted Karras on the interior offensive line depth chart. Offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia: “I don’t think Hjalte’s a raw player. The guy played at a high level of competition. I think his background in football is not great. He played in high school in America. And he played in college in America. I think he’s a bright kid, and he understands a lot of things. What we’re trying to do with him is get him to be more disciplined in the things he does and less wild in the things he does. And he’s had four holding penalties in three games. And that’s unacceptable. There’s habits there we have to fix and techniques we have to get better with him. The kid’s working hard, and he’s trying his best to do it right. We’re pleased with his development, but we’ve got a ways to go.”

Last edited:
Yelp. I thought that tweet was just a hoax. But if true. damn!

Buckle up for Karras.

He has more physical talent than Andrews and is much bigger and stronger, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's better.

Buckle up for Karras.

He has more physical talent than Andrews and is much bigger and stronger, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's better.

Yes agree....also a possible backup with Froholdt...

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Hjalte Froholdt | NFL.com

Overview
Froholdt has primarily lined up at guard, but a move to center might give him his best shot as a pro. He has good power to absorb and neutralize at the point of attack, but there just aren't enough wins as an in-line blocker due to his lack of push. Froholdt also struggles to protect his edges through foot quickness or functional power and he should be able to get the help he needs at center. His ability to play both guard and center strengthens his case to become a solid backup who can step in and start in a pinch.

Gunner Olszewski has more upside, IMO, and also has more special teams value. That's despite Berrios being my binky.
Isn’t there a poster here (or used to be) who’s name is very similar to Gunner’s last name?

Last edited:
Can you link these twitter rumors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey