PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Postgame Thoughts

Numbers don't lie? OK, your team lost to a team that was 5-11 last year while being only 18th in scoring defense, and was helmed by the QB that your team thought was useless. And your team did that while putting up only 14 points, and will now be facing a team that beat yours twice last year, was 7th in points allowed, and has upgraded both the offense and defense since then.

You're allowed your opinions, I certainly don't think this Patriots team is any kind of juggernaut right now, and "any given Sunday" applies but, outside of "any given Sunday", your team has pretty much no chance of winning the game.

Alright good to know.

Barring drunk GameDay talk, you won't hear me talk sh#+.

Alright good to know.

I've got no problem with you talking trash if your team wins, though others here will do what they do. And, if I thought the data favored the Jets, I'd say so.

Becton can’t even block an abusive heckler on his Facebook page.

I am excited for this season with Mac Jones.The defense disappointed me, all the raving about how good the defense was it never showed up on the field. Had the defense done their job this game would have been a win at home

Go Pats. Jets next week. That's a win.

I am excited for this season with Mac Jones.The defense disappointed me, all the raving about how good the defense was it never showed up on the field. Had the defense done their job this game would have been a win at home

I think the defense was alright. They gave up a few big plays and had the classic, early-in-the-season look that Belichick's defenses are notorious for - very vanilla schematically. If Harris doesn't fumble, there's a pretty decent chance we're 1-0 right now.

I'll be worried if the defense hasn't adjusted and improved by October.

Gilmore is a HUGE piece missing. Secondary is much worse. They have to play man cover-1, pressing WRs at the line. But without Gilmore it becomes this passive defense with CBs way off the line of scrimmage.

Gilmore is a HUGE piece missing. Secondary is much worse. They have to play man cover-1, pressing WRs at the line. But without Gilmore it becomes this passive defense with CBs way off the line of scrimmage.

I think that's more about the fact that it's week 1 than anything to do with Gilmore. They still got into some single-high press-man looks yesterday but it was balanced out with a lot of cover-3 and a soft cover-2 sink. They tend to play a lot of zone early in the season and then hone in a bit as the season plays out.

I definitely wouldn't argue that the secondary is "much worse". J.C. looked like he belongs and yesterday was more evidence. Jonathan Jones and DMac look poised for another solid year. Mills looks good. They need Dugger to come into his own by November and either get Gilmore back or really let Joejuan get some run out there on the boundary.

Not quite as solid as it has been, but still a strength in my opinion. The yards they gave up via the air today were a combination of good offensive plays and soft zone coverage. The latter will evolve with time, of course.

Huge loss (division,home), disappointing outing considering investment, most of all uncharacteristically disappointing coaching.

Most disappointing was the unit with most experience together that was supposed to be the strength - OL.
That includes OL coaching decisions with forcing Herron and Durant instead the obvious and known - Onwenu at RT and Karras LG.

BUT

It was a great night - long term.

The most important thing for this franchise was great news - i think its safe to say yesterday Patriots got their QB of the future confirmed.

“Taylor, who I love, never played an offensive snap as far as I know.”

Taylor was inactive for the game.

It should also be *whom*, not who.
(You would say “I love him”, not “I love he”)

1631531675066.gif

I don't like blaming the refs, but the one who called the Stevenson fumble couldn't see it, because Stevenson was between him and the ball. All he was looking at was Stevenson's back. He just went off the Dolphins reaction. It looked to me like the other ref asked him if he was sure, and he doubled down. If you can't see what happens, how can you call it?

Mac is really good (definitely better than Tua) and he's only going to get better. There were things around him that were frustrating (fumbles, big plays given up by the defense, poor officiating), but Mac was largely good with few exceptions. You can also tell just how raw he is, and the fact that he is as poised/developed as he is given this rawness is impressive. In 2-3 seasons (let alone later this season), when he's a bit more physically matured and has assimilated to the NFL workload/pace, he's going to be silly good (assuming he can stay healthy, of course, which is always the ultimate in sports). If Mac stays healthy and continues to develop, I expect that'll keep Belichick around for a longer rather than shorter time (if Belichick's in a place where he's actively thinking about that type of thing).

The defense is talented but big plays hurt them today. They need to trim those down. The Parker catch over Jackson was some Manningham/Julio type of spectacular'ness - tip the cap. Waddle's catch on Jones was also pretty darn good - hard to criticize Jones much on that one, just a better play by the offense.

The other defensive bugaboos seemed to be WRs having too much time/space - wished they were a bit more disruptive with them at the LOS (to the Dolphins' credit, they had some good offensive play-calls). Another big issue was the inability to stop the run late. The Pats' D looked solid against the run for most of the game and generally the defense won their battle in the trench, but their inability to be physical and get stops late was tough to see. I'll give them a pass because they played well for most of the game and they were likely gassed, it being the first regular season game coming off a shortened preseason. It needs to be better, though.

Likewise, the offense needs to look for more big plays and play with a bit more pace and decisiveness; they definitely seemed to be keeping a lot of powder dry and trying to take Mac slowly. I'm sure that'll come with time and as Mac gains confidence.

Penalties and turnovers hurt - probably cost them the game. Between the phantom hold and the Harris' fumble, that was anywhere from 7-10 points wiped off the board.

Harris looked really good until that dirty play by the 'Phins player where he (with two hands) ripped Harris' helmet off, and he got dinged as a result. Seemed Harris lost about 10-15% of his juice after that. Rhamondre now has 2 fumbles on his record since joining the team and didn't see any playing time in the 2nd half. Taylor, who I love, never played an offensive snap as far as I know. JMO, but it might've been wise to give Rhamondre or Taylor an opportunity late: their legs were fresh and potentially could've given the run game some extra pop to push the ball in the endzone.

Poor officiating in general. First half was really bad to the Pats; second half was a bit more neutral in its badness. Inconsistent all game. That hold on the Harris' TD run (#74) was called on a player who did not exist on the field. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but IMO, a penalty should not be enforceable if the official cannot accurately articulate who the penalty is on. If it was on Wynn, then I call horseshit. (I'll gladly recant my officiating rant if there's a good angle showing a legitimate hold by Wynn, but I saw nothing that deserved a penalty).

Final thought on officiating: I know it was darn close, but I'm still not convinced that the Rhamondre fumble was actually a fumble. I'm not sure what the officials saw, but the telecast never showed a proper look at the play with it slowed down enough to make an accurate judgment. I'm dubious. If that wasn't ruled a fumble, Rhamondre likely continues to play and who knows what impact that may have had on the outcome.

I think this is a good team. 13-14 wins if they really hunker down, play to their potential, and Mac progresses at a rapid pace. 10-11 wins if they play to this level today. 12 is probably where I'd set the line.

I do think Miami is a legitimately good, at least in terms of talent, and played darn well today. Tua is inconsistent but can make big plays. Their offensive weapons are dynamic. Their defense is big physical, and smart to the Pats' offense given the Flores connection. Big, athletic front-7 and a top-10, possibly top-5 secondary. I'm not sure that record-wise Miami will necessarily be a top team (12+ wins), but they remind me of the Ravens/Jets of the early 2010s in terms of how they matchup against New England. They're smart to the scheme and they have the defensive horses to execute. Those games were always tough to watch and often ended in losses. The recent games against Miami (even before Brady left) have felt similar. Give Flores a lot of credit for what he is doing there.

(As a slight aside, Jaelan Phillips is going to be a special player if he stays healthy - he's one I wanted the Pats to get before the draft and I'm still smarting that Miami nabbed him. On the balance, though, Wynn did a really good job on him this afternoon).

In terms of time of possession and ball control philosophy: part of the issue with shortening the game is if you don't score TDs in the red zone and/or you turn the ball over, you really compound those mistakes by chopping a lot of time off the clock. It's great that the defense was rested for a lot of the game, but it felt Mac and the offense probably should've been able to find another 1-2 possessions before that game was over. Offensive opportunities in the form of possessions felt limited.

As a closing thought: I know Belichick's teams historically have a slow ramp-up into the season but I think he needs to put greater urgency on these early season division games. While these games may not mean much in terms of how teams are playing in 2-3 months, they do potentially move the needle in terms of playoff seeding. That said, I'd much rather lose today and win in Miami in January to clinch the division (the inverse of what we saw last season).
Well stated and summarizes my thoughts as well. Fumbles & penalties are not characteristic of the Patriots. I'm certain BB & staff will attend to these quickly. We may have lost, but we have a quarterback!
The game was out of market for me. Game Pass worked well & I was able to watch the game in its entirety within 5 minutes of the end of the game on CBS.

Numbers don't lie? OK, your team lost to a team that was 5-11 last year while being only 18th in scoring defense, and was helmed by the QB that your team thought was useless. And your team did that while putting up only 14 points, and will now be facing a team that beat yours twice last year, was 7th in points allowed, and has upgraded both the offense and defense since then.

You're allowed your opinions, I certainly don't think this Patriots team is any kind of juggernaut right now, and "any given Sunday" applies but, outside of "any given Sunday", your team has pretty much no chance of winning the game.

Alright good to know.

It was an easy call. I wish you better luck with the rest of the season.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back