PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Mini-Camp Roster Projection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your position requires the assumption that en banc will be granted. I don't like to predict things like court cases and injuries when predicting the 53.
As of now he is eligible to play. It is not a technicality and is a very important consideration because there is no timetable to any of the steps to come including this one.

The patriots don't cut 3rd rounders (or 4th rounder for that matter). Valentine is a lock.
Knighton was signed at a bargain price and will stay.

Right. It's hard to say they're moving away from big bodies when they went out of their way to draft one in the 3rd and sign one to a non negligible contract. If anything, they're moving *toward* big bodies.

I also just don't see what everyone else sees in Grissom. He has the size and plays a position we could use help in, and was a third round pick a year ago. But what has he done on the field? He never flashed in camp or preseason, let alone real games. I'll be his biggest fan if he shows promise but I'm just working with what I've seen, and for him....that's nothing.

I also just don't see what everyone else sees in Grissom. He has the size and plays a position we could use help in, and was a third round pick a year ago. But what has he done on the field? He never flashed in camp or preseason, let alone real games. I'll be his biggest fan if he shows promise but I'm just working with what I've seen, and for him....that's nothing.
Please list all the uninjured 3rd rounders that were cut in their 2nd year.

Grissom played a bit inside. No one knows whether he can play outside. He is a developing player and likely to make the 53.

Belichick gives top rookies (1st-4th round) more than a year to prove themselves, although sometimes major injuries intervene. Even then, they often are here for their third camp.

Please list all the uninjured 3rd rounders that were cut in their 2nd year.

Grissom played a bit inside. No one knows whether he can play outside. He is a developing player and likely to make the 53.

Belichick gives top rookies (1st-4th round) more than a year to prove themselves, although sometimes major injuries intervene. Even then, they often are here for their third camp.

I get your point and would use that logic in almost any other case. However, there's just so many more bodies at the position, and guys with lower pedigrees like Flowers and Johnson just look plain better.

As of now he is eligible to play. It is not a technicality and is a very important consideration because there is no timetable to any of the steps to come including this one.
Right! The decision could be made mid-season and Brady could be out then instead.

I get your point and would use that logic in almost any other case. However, there's just so many more bodies at the position, and guys with lower pedigrees like Flowers and Johnson just look plain better.

Flowers was a 4th rounder who showed something BEFORE HE WAS INJURED. He too is lock to make the 53.

You make the argument that Johnson looked better before he was injured and therefore he should beat out Grissom. Belichick may very well keep Johnson. There is always lots of room at the bottom of the roster for someone who shows promise.

Flowers was a 4th rounder who showed something BEFORE HE WAS INJURED. He too is lock to make the 53.

You make the argument that Johnson looked better before he was injured and therefore he should beat out Grissom. Belichick may very well keep Johnson. There is always lots of room at the bottom of the roster for someone who shows promise.

The way I see it playing out if Grissom shows he's worth a roster spot is Long loses his job, for what it's worth.

This is a year that's going to see some difficult cuts. Even though I like his game, I'm not so sure Develin's going to make it.

QB (3): Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett - No surprises here and Brady will be kept on the roster for now.

RB (5): Lewis, Blount, Foster, Bolden, Develin - White is a tough cut but with Foster looking like the real deal and Develin back something has to give. Brown I don't think gets back to what he was 2 years ago.

WR (6): Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Martin, Mitchell, Dobson - My big surprise is Dobson makes the roster.

TE (3): Gronkowski, Bennett, Derby - Derby beats out Harbor here barely.

T (3): Solder, Vollmer, Waddle - Cannon is the cut here. It frees up a lot of money. My guess is they carry an extra OT or 2 on the PS and Thuney's OT experience makes this possible.

G/C (5): Stork, Mason, Thuney, Kline, Cooper - Andrews is cut and we try to get him to the PS. Jackson is PUP or cut. Kline makes it due to ability to be consistent.

DL (4): Brown, Knighton, Branch, Valentine - Only 4 are kept here.

DE- (5): Sheard, Ninkovich, Long, Grissom, Flowers

LB (5): Hightower, Collins, McClellin, Freeny, KGH

CB (5): Butler, Ryan, C. Jones, Coleman, J. Jones

S (5): McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards, King

ST (4): Gostkowski, Allen, Cardona, Slater

Right! The decision could be made mid-season and Brady could be out then instead.
That's one of the possibilities. There are many other than aren't doom and gloom.
In any event my post was to clarify the situation as it stands

This seems a very likely defense, with the addition of Ebner.

QB (3): Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett - No surprises here and Brady will be kept on the roster for now.

RB (5): Lewis, Blount, Foster, Bolden, Develin - White is a tough cut but with Foster looking like the real deal and Develin back something has to give. Brown I don't think gets back to what he was 2 years ago.

WR (6): Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Martin, Mitchell, Dobson - My big surprise is Dobson makes the roster.

T (3): Solder, Vollmer, Waddle - Cannon is the cut here. It frees up a lot of money. My guess is they carry an extra OT or 2 on the PS and Thuney's OT experience makes this possible.

G/C (5): Stork, Mason, Thuney, Kline, Cooper - Andrews is cut and we try to get him to the PS. Jackson is PUP or cut. Kline makes it due to ability to be consistent.

Good job here. Derby/Harbor will be a position battle to watch in camp.

I think Ebner is excused for the year and King takes his spot on STs. If Ebner plays then King is off. I don't think we keep both unless we go light on LB

I'm pulling for Derby, he's a binky.

No room for Darryl Roberts?

one of the CB has to go unless you go light on LBs.

If enough CBs show well in camp, then maybe the Pats trade Ryan, or one of the others.

The league is so starved for CBs who can play, that I can't see cutting one who can.

If enough CBs show well in camp, then maybe the Pats trade Ryan, or one of the others.

The league is so starved for CBs who can play, that I can't see cutting one who can.

That has been a thought around here. IT depends what you get back and how the guys look. First year CBs are not the most consistent and you'd need one you trust to play your #2 role. I'd be willing personally.

No idea who the #2 would be yet though. I could see it being any of the 4 potentially.

It would take a heckuva preseason showing by at least 2 or 3 of NE's rookie CBs, but yeah, it's possible that Ryan gets dealt if, say, Cyrus, J. Jones, and possibly Roberts look really good. They would also have to be sure that they were keeping Butler if they decide to trade Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes