PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread Texans @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The D really needs to do something about playing against option qb's. That seems to be BB Achilles heel.

Really? Could you list the other option QBs that BB has faced and had issues with?

No you don't! We have done a better job against their d line before. Solder was putrid

How do you figure? Because I understand that the Patriots O-line had never faced Clowney, Watt, and Mercilus at the same time prior to yesterday? Because I understand that it was THUNEY who got beat for 2 of the 5 sacks? Because I understand that, when it came down to it, the Pats O-line bought Brady enough time to get the job done.

No one said that Solder didn't have a bad game. Unlike you, I can remember other tackles on this team having much worse games.

How many sacks were on Solder? How many on Thuney? Come talk to me when you have a competent answer. OH.. Still waiting for you to answer my question. Or can't you because you don't know?

I did not get to finish the game, but looking at Cooks TD, it is clear that the ball hit the ground out of bounds. What did review say? I don't hear any noise on an issue I believe should be mentioned?

Because it wasn't an issue. He had control the entire time. a part of the ball is allowed to touch the ground as long as the player has control.. Cooks did. Non-issue.

Idk. They will be tested against better offenses on paper coming up. The bucs and the falcons. Oh boy

You mean the Bucs team that just got their butts handed to them by Case Keenum?

Winner. Chicken littles please read ^

Well the defense wasn't this terrible to start the season. It's early but they haven't even faced those powerhouse offenses unless you think the chiefs and the Texans are in that league. They're not![/QUOTE]

The fact that you think the Chiefs don't have one of the best offenses just takes away from your credibility. They have an excellent RB in K. Hunt. They have an excellent TE in Kelce. They have some good and getting better WRs..

How do you figure? Because I understand that the Patriots O-line had never faced Clowney, Watt, and Mercilus at the same time prior to yesterday? Because I understand that it was THUNEY who got beat for 2 of the 5 sacks? Because I understand that, when it came down to it, the Pats O-line bought Brady enough time to get the job done.

No one said that Solder didn't have a bad game. Unlike you, I can remember other tackles on this team having much worse games.

How many sacks were on Solder? How many on Thuney? Come talk to me when you have a competent answer. OH.. Still waiting for you to answer my question. Or can't you because you don't know?

The line was terrible point blank! That's my point. They could have done a better job. Obviously the Texans defense was worn out with the heat in the end. I know they have impact players but heck even the bungles last week did a better job protecting. Obviously we saw what cannon means to this team.

Well the defense wasn't this terrible to start the season. It's early but they haven't even faced those powerhouse offenses unless you think the chiefs and the Texans are in that league. They're not!

The fact that you think the Chiefs don't have one of the best offenses just takes away from your credibility. They have an excellent RB in K. Hunt. They have an excellent TE in Kelce. They have some good and getting better WRs..[/QUOTE]

They have a decent offense. Not great. It's not upper echelon. Maybe against our defense it looked like that.

You mean the Bucs team that just got their butts handed to them by Case Keenum?

You know that game was on the road right? They play much better at home. The Vikings defense's one of the best in the league!

Bingo.

But then again you are talking to someone who just kneejerk blames whoever ended up close to a breakdown. He doesn't realize that some plays are designed for the ball to go out fast which changes the technique tackles are using because they only need to pass protect for a little bit. He doesn't realize that tackles can get screwed by their surrounding players that dont properly react to stunts ect.

And finally sometimes elite pass rushers simply win 1v1s via their athleticism or by setting up a specific move snaps ahead.

Honestly I didn't get to see nearly any of the game which sucks. I did see a few plays and highlights though. I plan to sit down and watch all of it in the next few days . However my tentative thoughts are.

The defense needs to do better but I am not overly concerned yet. The effort vs the Saints showed a great deal but this is now 2 games this year when you thought they would hold an offense down and didn't. We need to keep in mind of course that only 26 of those points were scored by the offense and 6 of them were helped by questionable calls. So you could argue really only 20 should count. On the other hand it is not okay to give up points just cause a call doesn't go your way.

This Texans offense has done very little this year. It could be argued the Patriots let a horrible offense run a track meet on them. It could also be argued that NFL offenses don't get held to 10 PPG all year and it was due by the law of averages for that unit to play exceptionally well after 2 very bad showings. Personally I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle of it all (as boring as that sounds). It was probably unreasonable to expect any NFL caliber offense to be held down 3 weeks in a row. We should have expected a great effort and performance from this unit relative to what they are capable of. However I think we went a tad beyond. The Pats defense gave up more than they should. Obviously there are some issues with this unit at all 3 levels. We have seen it 2 of 3 games. It is the norm and not the aberration. So we will probably see it again a few more times but there is plenty of time to fix it. I have no doubt they will.

On offense the OL got beat and not just because Cannon was out. Brady has been under a lot of pressure and taken a lot of hits this season. That is not okay. With Edelman gone he may need to hold on to the ball a tic longer and the OL needs to step up. Personally I am not super worried about it on the whole as I think it is not a talent issue and the players are coachable and the coaching is great. Also they have looked below average vs 2 of the best NFL fronts there are and with a key injury. Cooks and Brady are starting to gel a bit more. That will be key without Edelman. IMO the most important play of the game I saw was was that 2 point conversion. Just like Edelman ran in SB49 and he won just about as decisively. It is plays like that that really get you in with Tom Brady. The bombs are great but that kind of play is key.

The offense with Amendola really works better at this point. He is a key piece that really works well with guys like Cooks and Gronk who get so much attention. Surprised they didn't go to White more this game. Not a big deal just i thought he was more of an every game staple at this point. In any case it is clear this group will be hard to stop. Particularly when the OL improves which I think it will. The 3rd/4th and short game is concerning but it is such a small sample. However I think they may need to rethink their strategy there.

Last edited:
Honestly I didn't get to see nearly any of the game which sucks. I did see a few plays and highlights though. I plan to sit down and watch all of it in the next few days though. However my tentitive thoughts are.

The defense needs to do better but I am not overly concerned yet. The effort vs the Saints showed a great deal but this is now 2 games this year when you thought they would hold an offense down and didn't. We need to keep in mind of course that only 26 of those points were scored by the offense and 6 of them were helped by questionable calls. So you could argue really only 20 should count. On the other hand it is not okay to give up points just cause a call doesn't go your way.

This Texans offense has done very little this year. It could be argued the Patriots let a horrible offense run a track meet on them. It could also be argued that NFL offenses don't get held to 10 PPG all year and it was due by the law of averages for that unit to play exceptionally well after 2 very bad showings. Personally I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle of it all (as boring as that sounds). It was probably unreasonable to expect any NFL caliber offense to be held down 3 weeks in a row. We should have expected a great effort and performance from this unit relative to what they are capable of. However I think we went a tad beyond. The Pats defense gave up more than they should. Obviously there are some issues with this unit at all 3 levels. We have seen it 2 of 3 games. It is the norm and not the aberration. So we will probably see it again a few more times but there is plenty of time to fix it. I have no doubt they will.

On offense the OL got beat and not just because Cannon was out. Brady has been under a lot of pressure and taken a lot of his this season. That is not okay. With Edelman gone he may need to hold on to the ball a tic longer and the OL needs to step up. Personally I am not super worried about it on the whole as I think it is not a talent issue and the players are coachable and the coaching is great. Also they have looked below average vs 2 of the best NFL fronts there are and with a key injury. Cooks and Brady are starting to gel a bit more. That will be key without Edelman. IMO the most important play of the game for them was that 2 points conversion. Just like Edelman ran in SB49 and he won just about as decisively. It is plays like that that really get you in with Tom Brady. The bombs are great but that kind of play is key.

The offense with Amendola really works better at this point. He is a key piece that really works well with guys like Cooks and Gronk who get so much attention. Surprised they didn't go to White more this game. Not a big deal just i thought he was more of an every game staple at this point. In any case it is clear this group will be hard to stop. Particularly when the OL improves which i think it will. The 3rd/4th and short game is concerning but it is such a small sample. However I think they may need to rethink their strategy there.

I rarely comment or post, but an analysis by someone who didn't watch the game is priceless.

I was able to watch parts of the game but just a few and the highlights. If you notice and really read my post you see it is more big picture things and talk about a few key plays. I didn't get into a lot of the play by play points cause I couldn't but I felt like I could talk about a few things. I didn't talk about anything in that post that I didn't feel someone in my position couldn't address. Anything there you think I talked out of my ass about?

Also it is not an analysis it is much more of an overview of trends. Very key difference.

Last edited:
Two plays I loved in the final Patriots drive.

Amendola climbing high to take a ball downfield. Something that he was great at with the Rams, but hasn't been asked to do (or been able to do) since he's been here. In fact, I loved everything about DA in this game.

Cooks on the 2-point conversion. That sudden swerve and cut-back at the edge of the endzone -- recognizably Edelbunny but even more abrupt. Defender is still looking for his jock ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back