PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread Texans @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hightower would help, but I think we still have the worst LBs group in the entire league.

Why was Marsh benched.

Did not notice him after his sack and one of the NE staff pushed him toward the bench area.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I dont think Marsh was benched at all and in that scene you are referring to he was too slow to get off the field and almost gave the Texans free 5 yards.

images

Posters hoped that Harris would be a starter. Some didn't even think that Roberts would make the team.

Well, Patricia had lots of time to evaluate Harris. Apparently, he is behind Roberts in the depth chart as a run stuffer. That means almost no reps, as it would have meant for Roberts had Harris been ahead of him on the depth chart.

This is certainly a disappointment. However, picking up a backup run stuffer is OK.

Harris is now a placeholder for Mitchell.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I dont think Marsh was benched at all and in that scene you are referring to he was too slow to get off the field and almost gave the Texans free 5 yards.

You're correct. He almost triggered a 12 men penalty. Allen did that last week.

Listening to and reading the local media today - they r incredibly butthurt about yesterday's game. I got the feeling they REALLY wanted houston to win because they could've created a ton of STORYLINES and HOTSPORTZTAKES had the pats blown that game...

Posters hoped that Harris would be a starter. Some didn't even think that Roberts would make the team.

Well, Patricia had lots of time to evaluate Harris. Apparently, he is behind Roberts in the depth chart as a run stuffer. That means almost no reps, as it would have meant for Roberts had Harris been ahead of him on the depth chart.

This is certainly a disappointment. However, picking up a backup run stuffer is OK.

Harris hasn't been able to cover any ground for a few years now. He's still a viable run-stopper, but I think the game has kinda moved past allowing for slow MLBs. Was a little surprised when the Pats signed him, but there's nothing wrong with kicking the tires on a vet and finding out he has nothing left. When Belichick elected to go with Cassius Marsh a few days after signing him in week 1, I think that kinda implicitly meant that Harris has no real role here.

Hightower would help, but I think we still have the worst LBs group in the entire league.

Without Hightower we probably do have the worst LBs in the league. When he comes back, LB will still probably be a liability, but we won't be the worst.

Yeah I was actually fearing that they would go for it and I think they should have. Pats defense was struggling mightily. Of course the logical decision in that spot is to take the FG but I wouldn't have bet on Brady not scoring the TD. Could have sealed it right there and then.

One of the last intelligent things Bill Simmons said (at least regarding football) was that coaches should probably do whatever the opposing team's fans fear the most.

I suspect a theoretical poll at that moment would have been at least 90% in favor of the FG. I may have breathed a literal sigh of relief when the ball was kicked.

Last edited:
One of the last intelligent things Bill Simmons said (at least regarding football) was that coaches should probably do whatever the opposing team's fans fear the most.

I suspect a theoretical pill at that moment would have been at least 90% in favor of the FG. I think I may have breathed a literal sigh of relief when the ball was kicked.

I was very relieved that they took the FG. Was way more confident in Brady driving down the field in 2 and a half minutes for the TD than in the defense getting a 4th and 1 stop. They were completely gassed.

Why was Marsh benched.

Did not notice him after his sack and one of the NE staff pushed him toward the bench area.

I was wondering, but I think it's because he was coming off too slowly (hanging around celebrating) and they didn't want to risk 12 men on the field. I don't know if that means he was "benched". He had a pretty high snap count, for someone who's just got here.

A couple of things:

There were 2 gassed defenses. Only one of them could dig down and get the stop at peak gassed-ness and peak importance. You know, the one that can't rush the qb, can't stop the run, has the worst linebackers in the league, and has an underachieving secondary.

Not the one with the three-leet pass rush.

Near-term I'm concerned as heck. Longer term, still concerned. If this shapes up into a juggernaut type team, fine. But Most of us (who have not hung ourselves because we're 2-1) understand that this is a gut-it-out, next-man-up year.

We have a tendency to think our opponents are 10 feet tall (to explain poor performance) or are comparatively incompetent (to exaggerate the poorness of the performance.)

In the end, it's football. It's a game. Somebody wins. Never quit even on a terrible deficit, and your chances of winning increase. I like that we saw this philosophy play out, and we've got the greatest ever at making this philosophy play out.

That said, this game wasn't in hand and we barely got the W. We're behind schedule in becoming the 2017 SB-winning edition.

Injury excuses aside: plot our progress against others and project the rest of the series, and it looks bad. Apply observed trends from past years and it's ugly but will get prettier.

And of course, past results do not guarantee future performance.

Getting to the "you have to account for 3 elite pass rushers" stuff... look, the online has to get better. There is time to do so. But that's a place where we're behind the season-long curve. Just like a video game: if you stand still, something will eventually kill you.

It's a W but not a good W. looking forward to/hoping for improvements.

So are the Texans the only one that are allowed to iron out their issues? Or can the Pats iron out their issues too?

I prefer wrinkle free. :)

I did not get to finish the game, but looking at Cooks TD, it is clear that the ball hit the ground out of bounds. What did review say? I don't hear any noise on an issue I believe should be mentioned?

The angle from behind the EZ was inconclusive, but footage from the front side of the play showed indisputable control. You'll have to ask CBS why they featured the inconclusive angle over the conclusive, but it was definitely a catch.

Not WITH Highower. He's probably the 3rd best ilb/mlb in the NFL,after Kuechly and Wagner. But he's going to also play some olb/de. He's one of the most versatile lbs in the league.
I agree w/o him, our lbs suck. With him, they're a bit above average. He's that good.

I was very relieved that they took the FG. Was way more confident in Brady driving down the field in 2 and a half minutes for the TD than in the defense getting a 4th and 1 stop. They were completely gassed.

I'll do you one better. I was double thrilled with the FG by Houston.

1. I had more faith in a Brady TD drive than a 4th and 1 stop

2. It forced the Patriots into needing a TD. And I had more faith in a Brady TD drive than a Brady FG drive. Huh? Doesn't make sense? Think about it. And I'm not being hyperbolic. I wanted nothing to do with a FG for the win.

I suspect a theoretical poll at that moment would have been at least 90% in favor of the FG. I may have breathed a literal sigh of relief when the ball was kicked.
Against most teams you kick the FG there and trust your elite defense. But Brady is different. When you have the Pats on the ropes, you MUST go for the jug ular when you have the chance.

Brady will almost always make you pay for playing it conservatively.

Hightower being out completely changes this D...and to think he almost left. Watch the game he comes back...hopefully this week..it will look very different

The odd thing about that was Wise(I think it was him) was further away from the sideline than Marsh was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes