PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats at Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Brady has all the answers to the test?

entertaining thread....far better than that mess we witnessed today. I'll bow out and let the usual suspects carve up this rotting carcass the next few days but...in my OPINION..this debacle was lost in the FIRST quarter when the offensive game plan was revealed. It seemed to me that Josh called up his buddy, the rocket scientist, and gave him the schematics to the Pats A bombed game plan. Haven't seen such a string of bullshyt play calls since the Tony Eason days. 3 straight 3 and outs to start the game? Way to really pump up the offensive confidence of the players.

Without Edelman or at least the threat of Gordon, defenses are free to double Gronk, forcing our 2 other lackluster receiving threats to beat single coverage consistently. And any linebacking core with speed can limit the damage the backs do.

I predict Super Bowl literally every year. I had reservations in the preseason about this roster, that through 3 weeks have been proven correct. You guys are horrible though, they're not that bad.

My primary complaint was lack of depth on offense behind Gronk/Edelman, the linebackers being slow, and no depth behind Flowers and Gilmore.

The first complaint was validated, showing that we really need as second target for Brady out there to be competitive. He's coming back. The midseason trade for Gordon was massive if he can put up ~600-700 yds, and gives them three real weapons instead of two. That also means that if one of those three goes down, we have some hope of fielding a decent offense.

The linebacker problem is an inescapable weakness of the roster. The secondary sucks without Gilmore and the pass rush sucks without Flowers. We have seen the latter point in action. God help us if we see the former. This is why I think this roster is fragile as heck.

That being said, with a few real threats on offense (versus the 1 (one) they had today), and the return of some semblance of a pass rush with Flowers, I think they can still be competitive/win a Super Bowl. If injuries hold their roster back too much, they probably cannot. The roster is simply thin compared to years past.

Without Edelman or at least the threat of Gordon, defenses are free to double Gronk, forcing our 2 other lackluster receiving threats to beat single coverage consistently. And any linebacking core with speed can limit the damage the backs do.
Thing is, Bill and Josh don’t seem to be showing any creativity to even try to deal with that. That’s the confusing part.

I thought Brady has all the answers to the test?

Hard to pass any test when you don't have a number 2 pencil. There's not a QB in the league that could succeed with the weapons this team fielded tonight.

Brady won't play til he's 45. Not here anyway. He may opt for a trade or release to play for another team if he really wants to play. But grinding out 6 or 7 wins a year here at his age? No, don't see it.
Belichick gets his wish life without brady.

Thank you for your class and honesty. It'd be easy (and, quite frankly, understandable) to pile on after tonight's game but you took the high road with that post. It's much appreciated and says a lot about you.

I think the consensus here feels that the offense can possibly be saved with the return of JE and JG possibly being better than crappy. This defense, however, is a total dud and has been for years. They cannot stop a nosebleed. We have been embarrassed on national TV for the past 2 weeks and in last years Super Bowl by a 2nd string scrub. We just got beat down by the Lions, perhaps the worst team in the league. With the exception of Bentley, Gilmore, Flowers, Guy and Wise, this D is a laughingstock. When a national TV announcer says you have holes as big as a Pop Warner team it ain't good. No way to sugar coat this-they suck. And BB our GM is not good at his job. 9-7/10-6 at best this year and as usual TB is going to have to carry a team(mostly) of scrubs, JAGS and Bums.

Offense:

1. Game plan better.
2. Getting Josh Gordon up to speed and IN for the game against Miami is crucial.
3. We desperately need Edelman.

Defense:

An absolute **** show that I have no idea how they are going to fix it:

We just got beat down by the Lions, perhaps the worst team in the league.

I'm not sure where you get that from a team that went 9-7 last year. The Lions aren't even the worst team in their own division. That title belongs to the Bears, and that team's actually leading the NFCN.

Last edited:
So I read that Gronk was asked about the potential trade to Detroit and he confirmed that it was a possibility but also said he would have retired before allowing that as 'Brady is his QB and he is not going anywhere without him " . This makes me love Gronk even more, he knows that his success is tied to Brady.
Both Brady and Gronk are very important to this team and Bill should have built a team this year around them. He should have got another playmaker that wouldn't have allowed teams to double Gronk which would have made him practically unstoppable and he should have built a D that can get off the field and give your playmakers the ball back quickly. Bill did neither this off season so he failed them both. I have loved having BB as our coach for all these years and have been strongly in his camp through all the turbulence but this year I am very disappointed in what he has done to this team , as a fan I have every right to feel he let the team and us down. That is my rant and I 'm sticking by it !!

I'm not sure where you get that from a team that went 9-7 last year. The Lions aren't even the worst team in their own division. That title belongs to the Bears, and that team's actually leading the AFCN.
0-2 going into tonight's game I believe qualified them for the worst team in the league before manhandling our pathetic roster tonight. And you can bet with Matty P at the helm they will finish last in the AFCN. In short, they suck.

I've seen us play with worst secondaries but you must have some sort of a run defense. Our defense has been horrible ever since we swapped out Alan Branch for Guy. I'm starting to think Alan Branch was our run d. The Lions of all teams ran it down our throats.

I honestly feel that I could've coached a better game for our offense. Where are the screeens!!!!??? I like Sony, but he's not gonna pull a Dion Lewis and escape backfield penetration. Also, why didn't we re-sign Lewis? I bet we would have scored more points if we had just ran Sony from the wildcat all game.

Hogan and Hightower disappointed me more than anyone else. I knew we had struggles but I expected something from Hogan and who is this impostor with the #54 missing tackles.

0-2 going into tonight's game I believe qualified them for the worst team in the league before manhandling our pathetic roster tonight. And you can bet with Matty P at the helm they will finish last in the AFCN. In short, they suck.

It's idiotic to rank teams based solely on their record to date in this short season. If you did that, you'd have to make the claim that the Dolphins are one of the three best teams in the NFL.

I'm not blind but I am an optimist. Maybe September = extended training camp

:confused::eek:

Dolphins are good. I predict they'll stomp the pats(ies) next week. Deservedly so. You can't improve until you admit there's a problem.

Does Brady retire after this year? Without question. Does gronk? Likely.
We all knew this day would come and here it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe