PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats at Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point we have to address the fact that Belichick has been drafting terribly for the past three years.

Players still on the Patriots in the past three drafts:
  • CB Cyrus Jones: Bust so far
  • OG Joe Thuney: Slightly above average starter
  • LB Elandon Roberts: JAG
  • OG Ted Karras: Backup
  • DE Derek Rivers: Shown nothing so far
  • DE Deatrich Wise: Steady improvements
  • OT Isaiah Wynn: Out for the year
  • RB Sony Michel: Potentially short career, and has shown nothing so far.
  • CB Duke Dawson: IR
  • LB Ja'Whaun Bentley: Good
  • CB Keion Crossen: JAG
This is a depressing list to read. I know that we have traded away some of our picks for impact players like Cooks, Trent Brown and others, but at some point Belichick needs to hit on some of his draft picks or we won't be elite for much longer. Talented players on rookie contracts win championships, and Brady isn't going to be around forever.

michel was a wasted pick...he hasn't shown much.. speed, burst, or wiggle. Any RB can do what he does in this pass heavy league. I just assumed this kid would be very good or better considering BB doesn't think highly of the position.,...so I figured he must be special. BB has made a lot of iffy or just plain bad moves in last few years.

Jordan Richards was a wasted pick, Tavon Wilson was a wasted pick, Ras-IR-Dowling was a wasted pick.

This dudes played two games in the NFL, and is still coming back to full health.

Offensively, i think we'll sort things out. Jules comes back and will give us those automatic 1st downs on 3rd and 5. Gronk is still great. Michel will get better once our run blocking gives him room. White is consistent. Brady is still Brady.

What I'm concerned about is our front seven on D. Ultimately it's about the playoffs and making a run. I think they will improve and the numbers will looks better, but when we play against a playoff team with a competent OC, they are going to take advantage of our lack of pass rush and slow LBs

Brady and the offense really need to play lights out for us to beat good teams.

There's plenty of ammo if you're looking to attack Bill over the off-season, but Cooks for a 1st round pick was peanuts? Really? In what reality is that peanuts?
He traded a first for him. So he got equal return.

That’s not high value when you break out even and have a depleated offense as the end result.

Brady looks bad because the offense around him is weaker than it has been in a long time. He has very little to work with. BB has handed him a **** O to work with.

We've seen this narrative before so I'm somewhat surprised that people are proclaiming the end of the season.

The team doesn't look very good ... right now. That can change, of course. Shelton and Brown could play to their potential; Gordon and Edelman will become involved and no doubt help the offense. Flowers and Chung will return and a trade for a competent LB or S could still be made.

Things don't look good but it's far from a dire situation. Three games of a sixteen game season have been played; nothing has been decided yet.

Certainly it's disappointing to see the team play that poorly but I don't think you can extrapolate much from three games.

Next week is a big game and a loss against Miami would certainly elicit some legitimate panic, especially re: AFC East standings. But there's no reason to get too high or too low as of yet. History tells us we should expect things will improve.

Is it possible this team will still be very bad in a few months? Sure. But the quality of play right now is not necessarily reflective of what the quality of play will be in November.

A win next week and the prospects of the team and the remainder of their season, as well as the outlook of the fans, will be much different. Going home to Foxborough will certainly help.

It's not just that the team doesn't look very good. The team simply does not have very many players who have a track record of quality play. Several they do have are on the down side of their careers. They have no talent.

Last edited:
The last two weeks have consisted of one of the worst offenses in the league shredding us and one of the worst defenses shutting us down. Is 8-8 optimistic?

No, they'll get it together. But there's a lot of work to be done.

is kenbrell thompkins still playing??? aaron dobson???

gilmore, flowers, mccourty are the only ones worth a damn on defense. maybe hightower...but he looks old.
Thompkins playing up here in the CFL for the Blue Bombers....and contributing...

It's not just that the team doesn't look very good. The team simply does not have very many players that have a track record of quality play. Several they do have are on the down side of their careers. They have no talent.

Tonight they played in a way that would indicate they don't have much talent. Sometimes, however, capable players have bad games.

You may very well be correct, but I think Brown and Shelton are capable of better. I know the offense will get an injection of talent in the coming weeks.

The offense I'm not concerned about; the defense is a tougher nut to crack but there are avenues for them to improve. Anything from a trade, to the return of injured players, to promotion of a player(s) on the PS, and to players who currently under-performing simply playing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe