PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you must be able to provide dozens of examples of effective tankers.

Well the Colts are the recent prime examples. They had crappy coaching though. Do the Pats have a crappy coach? Crappy owner? Crappy fanbase? If not then they would be the enigma of tankers and one would assume have a much better shot at developing and nurturing say, Lawerence than the Jete. Or anyone of the other bottom feeders.

I do not understand what a treadmill team is. Can you explain?

Treadmill team is when you are 8-8 and pick mid draft every year, never bad enough to get that top 3 pick, and never good enough to win anything. Rinse and repeat. Treadmill team because you don too anywhere.

Treadmill team is when you are 8-8 and pick mid draft every year, never bad enough to get that top 3 pick, and never good enough to win anything. Rinse and repeat. Treadmill team because you don too anywhere.

So a team like the Titans that goes 9-7 four years in a row is the classic treadmill team with no chance of future success while teams like the Jets or Lions just need to stink for a year or two and quickly turn things around. Makes sense.

Likewise, because Belichick's goal is to catch Don Shula for total wins. Stidham gives him no chance.
Agreed.

Neither does losing games on purpose like some want him to do.

Well the Colts are the recent prime examples. They had crappy coaching though. Do the Pats have a crappy coach? Crappy owner? Crappy fanbase? If not then they would be the enigma of tankers and one would assume have a much better shot at developing and nurturing say, Lawerence than the Jete. Or anyone of the other bottom feeders.
If the Pats finish 2-14 we will be looking for a new head coach. Rightfully so.

Last edited:
So in other words the only example is the team that tanked and because of the destruction of mentality and culture had to fire their head coach and gm and start all over. And then they won nothing.

You have to have a plan. Continuity. And stick to it.

The Jets are about to jet-tison Sam Darnold. Then they'll fire Gase and try to reinvent the wheel.

The Patriots have continuity. We know Belichick is going to be around. They can afford to tank (i.e. play Stidham) and trade Gilmore. And get a higher draft pick. Because they know they have the system in place to rebuild it. If you don't have belief, faith, trust, then you're going to end up always drafting high and making a muck out of it.

I do think the Patriots can benefit from essentially not winning a lot of games this year--not by trying to lose, but by ramping things down when it comes to personnel. Play the young guys, send the ones away who won't be on top of their games when the turnaround comes. That doesn't mean Thuney. It means Gilmore.

Last edited:

Reiss thinks the White run for loss on 3rd and 2 in the second quarter was a flea flicker where they didn't have time to get the backwards toss off. I remember thinking that the blocking looked really funky on that play.

After all the success (yes even in games without Brady) BB has had I doubt he's out of the door after one 2-14 season
I agree if you mean 5-11 or 6-10.

2-14 is a different category IMO. That's a tier reserved for awful coaches. None of the greats that Bill is compared to had a 2-14 season. 2-14 this year would mean 13 losses in a row, 2 to the Jets one of the worst teams in NFL history, with a Patriots roster that has flaws for sure but still no business losing 14 games. With a lot of questions and heat coming his way around his roster and the elephant in the room which is Brady's departure.

in that context it's fireable, IMO. And I don't think that record will happen.

All you people are so wrong. Maybe the organizational plan is to go 2-14 and get yourselves into the Lawrence sweepstakes? BB isn't going anywhere people. After 20 years of elite success, a reset is allowed.

You have to have a lan. Continuity. And stick to it.

The Jets are about to jet-tison Sam Darnold. Then they'll fire Gase and try to reinvent the wheel.

The Patriots have continuity. We know Belichick is going to be around. They can afford to tank (i.e. play Stidham) and trade Gilmore. And get a higher draft pick. Because they know they have the system in place to rebuild it. If you don't have belief, faith, trust, then you're going to end up always drafting high and making a muck out of it.

I do think the Patriots can benefit from essentially not winning a lot of games this year--not by trying to lose, but by ramping things down when it comes to personnel. Play the young guys, send the ones away who won't be on top of their games when the turnaround comes. That doesn't mean Thuney. It means Gilmore.
Teams that fight to win when their season is over have much better futures than these that give up and get better draft picks.

My fear is we pick in the top 10 and Belichick goes to draft a Wide Receiver - we already know his track record on drafting wide receivers in the early rounds which is like bust city - its clearly his worst trait thus far in an otherwise legendary coaching career

That's why I hope they go for a DT or LB or OLineman first. Use a mid round pick on a QB. Don't spend any high picks on any skill position that would allow Josh McDaniels to chime in and muck it up

Teams that fight to win when their season is over have much better futures than these that give up and get better draft picks.
Fighting to win is one thing. Deliberately putting lesser player out there is another. But in all cases, we haven't seen a team stick with a coach that tanked, so how could you make the comparison? Coaches get fired after poor seasons. In this case, that wouldn't happen. This is what I mean by continuity.

The Colts put Curtis Painter out there as a starter. He was out of football after playing the first 14 games. When they put Dan Orlovsky in, they went 2-0. Play as hard as you want, you're not going to win games when Curtis Painter is your QB--he was worse than Peterman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down