PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-Draft Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Power rankings are incredibly meaningless, but how does everyone think NE stacks up with against the rest of the league post-draft? For me, I think NE is far and away the best team in the AFC, even without Gronk. The only other teams I see that can challenge us for the AFC title are KC, Pitt, and LAC. Cleveland is an incredibly talented team, but they are up-and-coming and could either be boom or bust. I think there is a large gap between NE and the second best team in the AFC, which to me is the Chargers. KC drops because they lost so much talent on the offensive side of the ball.

NFL Power Rankings: New Orleans Saints on top after 2019 draft

TB12's top 5 teams:

1. NE
2. Philly
3. Saints
4. Rams
5. Chargers

Last edited:
Power rankings are incredibly meaningless, but how does everyone think NE stacks up with against the rest of the league post-draft? For me, I think NE is far and away the best team in the AFC, even without Gronk. The only other teams I see that can challenge us for the AFC title are KC, Pitt, and LAC. Cleveland is an incredibly talented team, but they are up-and-coming and could either be boom or bust. I think there is a large gap between NE and the second best team in the AFC, which to me is the Chargers. KC drops because they lost so much talent on the offensive side of the ball.

TB12's top 5 teams:

1. NE
2. Philly
3. Saints
4. Rams
5. Chargers
Philly at 2? I think they’re overrated. I’d move the Saints to 2 and Rams at 3.

KC could really struggle if/when Hill is banned from the league. No more chucking it it deep to a wide open WR Madden style.

The Chargers have a lot of talent but the reason for the large gap between them is because who is at QB for them. Rivers is the biggest bum when it comes to big games. They had an opportunity to get home field throughout but lost to the Ravens at home. Their defense didn’t allow Lamar Jackson’s nonsense again but still barely squeaked out a road win before getting annihilated in NE.

The top 4 AFC contenders (other than NE) based on vegas odds:

• Kansas City - Whenever Tyreek is suspended/kicked out of the NFL say goodbye to them as superbowl contenders IMO. Watkins/Robinson/Hardman won’t cut it. Their defensive changes don’t hide the fact that their CB group is mediocre to poor.
  • Los Angeles Chargers - Arguably the most talented roster in the AFC but a great matchup for NE. They run the wrong type of defense vs. the Pats offense (cover 3 zone with light fronts) & immobile QBs like Rivers have a tough time vs. the heavy man scheme.
  • Indianapolis Colts - A well rounded roster yet they play the wrong defense (cover 2) & Luck’s playoff resume is hilarious to this point.
  • Cleveland Browns - Talented on both sides of the ball & have a nice group of pass rushers & CBs. The questions with them will come down to coaching, Mayfield’s development & potentially weaker OL play with Zeitler gone.
The Pats roster is far from perfect but they are set up well to be a balanced team with the potential of a top 10 offense & defense. I’m not sold either on this year’s contenders being built to topple them in January.

Love our chances if those are actually the top teams : Chargers are a choke machine whose key personnel has never amounted to anything. Rams have an overrated QB who is babysat by their HC. The Saints haven't amounted to much since their last SB a decade ago despite their "HoF" coach and QB.

Maybe Philly. I'd say the following teams are more of an issue than those listed (despite their flaws): PIT, SEA, BAL. One of these teams will get something going and challenge.

Who is Philly's back up quarterback? The last quarter of the season isn't going to play itself.

TB12's top 5 teams:

1. NE
2. Philly
3. Saints
4. Rams
5. Chargers

I think Nick Foles solves the Jags problems they have Talent on O also..

The top 4 AFC contenders (other than NE) based on vegas odds:

• Kansas City - Whenever Tyreek is suspended/kicked out of the NFL say goodbye to them as superbowl contenders IMO. Watkins/Robinson/Hardman won’t cut it. Their defensive changes don’t hide the fact that their CB group is mediocre to poor.
  • Los Angeles Chargers - Arguably the most talented roster in the AFC but a great matchup for NE. They run the wrong type of defense vs. the Pats offense (cover 3 zone with light fronts) & immobile QBs like Rivers have a tough time vs. the heavy man scheme.
  • Indianapolis Colts - A well rounded roster yet they play the wrong defense (cover 2) & Luck’s playoff resume is hilarious to this point.
  • Cleveland Browns - Talented on both sides of the ball & have a nice group of pass rushers & CBs. The questions with them will come down to coaching, Mayfield’s development & potentially weaker OL play with Zeitler gone.
The Pats roster is far from perfect but they are set up well to be a balanced team with the potential of a top 10 offense & defense. I’m not sold either on this year’s contenders being built to topple them in January.

Philly added Jordan Howard, Desean Jackson, and Miles Sanders to an already talented offense. And their defensive line is absolutely filthy with Barnett, Jackson, Cox, and Graham with Long, Curry, and Jernigan coming off the bench. Their weakness is at LB and secondary, but they are stacked everywhere else. It’s going to come down to how Wentz plays for them.

Last edited:
"Power rankings are incredibly meaningless..."

...posts one anyway :D

1. NE
2. LAC
3. PHI
4. KC
5. IND
6. NO
7. LAR
8. DAL
9. CLE
10. PIT

"Power rankings are incredibly meaningless..."

...posts one anyway :D

Oh good, you are actually posting something Pats-related. Hope you’re not reeling from Saturday night...

Last edited:
jetes and jills made top 25......sweet

IDK about power rankings but IMO the most likely teams in the AFC to knock off the Patriots are Cleveland, Jax, KC (still a threat) and Houston.

To me while still good teams the Colts/Titans didn't do much to improve IMO. The Steelers are in rebuild mode. SD just isn't built to beat us.

Oh good, you are actually posting something Pats-related. Hope you’re not reeling from Saturday night...

Awww, if I had feelings they might be hurt right now

F3KQEAM.gif

Life is too short to be so serious

Man, poor Chiefs fans. Their team keeps coming inches away from putting it all together but their star talent keeps beating enough women and children to ruin it. So close.

1. NE
2. NO
3. LAC
4. KC
5. LAR
6. IND
7. DAL
8. CLE
9. PHI
10. IND

AFC is loaded, NFC not so much. I think KC will be most dangerous late in the year

The author's justifications for putting the Saints at #1 are asinine. But there have been so many changes among most of the top teams that any ranking right now is little more than the purest of pure speculation, so those rankings are probably as good as any.

The jets are set at every position

1. New England
2. Some team that got really close last year yet is about to implode to everyone’s surprise
3. Some team that’s ****ting their pants at the thought of facing New England
4. Some team that made a free agency splash that’s certain to blow up in their face
5. Some team who will dominate all season and then choke in the postseason

The author's justifications for putting the Saints at #1 are asinine. But there have been so many changes among most of the top teams that any ranking right now is little more than the purest of pure speculation, so those rankings are probably as good as any.

I believe the Saints will be very good again, but considering their histories, I don’t see how you’d trust that organization to meet high expectations again over New England, who are in a historically great echelon for dominance and consistency. Also, if Brady had played the second half of 2018 and postseason like Brees, every pundit in America would be setting their smart phone timers for his demise.

But when you add an otherworldly talent like Jared Cook - a guy who is like a hybrid of Randy Moss and Gronk in their primes (as the author seems to imply) - as well as an sure-fire quality draft haul (despite the previous sentence warning that you can put any value on a draft at this point), that puts them over the top.

Also starts with a “Let that sink in.” Has he followed the NFL since 2017? Because the Saints have been among the top contenders the last two seasons. This isn’t like some *gasp* moment that he seems like he’s trying to drum up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes