PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-Combine Draft Game: You're the GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
heck with that! Where's the prospect rankings for long snapper? :p

If we want to pickup a good undrafted [most likely] long snapper look at Wilson Raynor from ECU, guy hasn't made one bad snap in about 2-3 years.

So NOBODY else wants to draft a punter?

I'd rather bring in 3-4 as FAs and have them punt to the death. Too many variables, I think, in projecting most punters to the NFL - Better returners means better length and hang time needed, effect of cold weather and/or gusty winds, nerves that come with increased pressure, etc.

A guy I played with way back was phenomenal in practice. Best I've seen. Come game time, he shanked every - and I mean every - attempt. NFL pressure is much greater than NCAA pressure, especially when you figure the guy's going to be sort of an outcast.

If we want to pickup a good undrafted [most likely] long snapper look at Wilson Raynor from ECU, guy hasn't made one bad snap in about 2-3 years.
He looks good, NFl Draft Scut has him as their #8 LS. The Michigan kid they have at #2 seems to be the most consistent of their top kids.

From the hip...

#23 - Alex Mack, C, California - plays LS and top backup in 09, becomes starter at guard in year 2
#34 - Butler, CB, UConn - a bit small but quick, they way we like them
#47 - Sean Smith, CB, Utah - more secondary depth, versatile playing
#58 - Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State - build depth along the lines
#89 - Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn State - CHEATED, he was at 86 but he is my binkie so I took him at 89 - versatile player, can play tackle and guard
#97 (assumed compensatory for Asante Samuel) - Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty - bigger back, competes against law firm in a cage match for final RB slot
~#120 - Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia - has potential to be a possesion receiver
5th - Tony Fiammetta, FB, Syracuse -
6th - Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn State
7th - *Kevin Ogletree, WR, Virginia - fast (4.38) WR, developmental project, potential returner

There you go 10 pro bowlers and 5 HOFers...

From the hip...

#23 - Alex Mack, C, California - plays LS and top backup in 09, becomes starter at guard in year 2
#34 - Butler, CB, UConn - a bit small but quick, they way we like them
#47 - Sean Smith, CB, Utah - more secondary depth, versatile playing
#58 - Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State - build depth along the lines
#89 - Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn State - CHEATED, he was at 86 but he is my binkie so I took him at 89 - versatile player, can play tackle and guard
#97 (assumed compensatory for Asante Samuel) - Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty - bigger back, competes against law firm in a cage match for final RB slot
~#120 - Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia - has potential to be a possesion receiver
5th - Tony Fiammetta, FB, Syracuse -
6th - Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn State
7th - *Kevin Ogletree, WR, Virginia - fast (4.38) WR, developmental project, potential returner

There you go 10 pro bowlers and 5 HOFers...
Oh dear, NO Barwin, and you select Molasses Massaquoi and his 'I can drop more balls than TO' hands as a "possession" receiver!?! Then you draft Ogletree who has a stellar 40 and a 10 yd split worthy of an OL... **sigh** Remedial draft studies for you.

#23 - Alphonso Smith (CB)- the other Wake Forest defender who I think will have a great NFL career. I am doing more research on Cushing and like him more at #23 but for this contest the rules do not allow this.

#34 - William Beatty (OT) - No question here, he will be a good one for a long time but I think he will be in the first round before it is all said and done. Comes in right away to compete with Kaczur and push Light.

#48 - Conner Barwin (?)- Now we go after our OLB as I passed on Mathews, Sintim, Maybin, English in the first round. I think BB will be able to do wonders with this kid.

#58 - Patrick Chung (S)- Time to get the young safety, I looked hard at Sean Smith at 47 but I think Barwin had to be the choice and Chung here. Going into the draft I thought our top needs were (S, C, OLB and depth at OL). I like Dalmus but he was at 32 and I was not going to reach on him at 23 but 34 I would be all over him.

#89 - Shonn Greene (RB) - I know this kid had a awful combine but he can flat out run the ball. If we are going to get rid of Maroney then this kid would be a good pickup at the end of the third. If we keep Maroney then I would go with Jonathan Luigs to add to the depth at OL.

#97 - Antoine Caldwell (C)- by taking Green at 89 I would take the next best inside OL for depth and Mankins. He is a tough kid who can play all three inside line positions. It was Antoine Caldwell not Alex Mack or Max Unger - was voted to the AP All-America First Team I think a good value pick at #97.

#120 - Jason Phillips (ILB) - I did not think this kid would run a good 40 at the combine but he did. He did everything well and the more research I do I think he is a total BB type LB inside. "A four-year starter, Phillips was the heart and soul of TCU's defense. Being a coach's son, he's a smart player ... but also was one of the more physical players on the team." A quote from NFLDraftScout.com. I know he is just a tick over 6 feet but the way he plays I think makes up for his 2-3 inch disadvantage.

152 - Pat White (Mr. Everything) - I really doubt this guy will last this long but if he was available here then BB should pull the trigger.

After this point I would add Joe Burnett (CB, ST)as a player I did not see on this list in the 5/6 round.

Oh dear, NO Barwin, and you select Molasses Massaquoi and his 'I can drop more balls than TO' hands as a "possession" receiver!?! Then you draft Ogletree who has a stellar 40 and a 10 yd split worthy of an OL... **sigh** Remedial draft studies for you.

According to my numbers, Ogletree had a split of 1.55. That's better than Maclin, Iglesias, Derrick Williams, Kenny Britt, Pat White, Austin Collie, etc....and .03 slower than Hakeem Nicks, who I know you had somewhere in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Combined with his shuttle/cone numbers, I have him ranked considerably higher than a 7th round talent.

Thinking of someone else? There's reasons not to like Ogletree, but his quickness is not one of them.

Last edited:
According to my numbers, Ogletree had a split of 1.55. That's better than Maclin, Iglesias, Derrick Williams, Kenny Britt, Pat White, Austin Collie, etc....and .03 slower than Hakeem Nicks, who I know you had somewhere in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Combined with his shuttle/cone numbers, I have him ranked considerably higher than a 7th round talent.

Thinking of someone else? There's reasons not to like Ogletree, but his quickness is not one of them.
His quickness isn't in doubt, or his long speed, but can he perform like Nicks with his slower start-up time? I don't remember watching him in a game, so what say you?

His quickness isn't in doubt, or his long speed, but can he perform like Nicks with his slower start-up time? I don't remember watching him in a game, so what say you?

He can't perform like Nicks if he had a quicker start-up time -- he's not nearly as physically talented. I just don't agree that he has a slow start-up time. It seems his 10 split is better than most WRs in the draft.

Living where I do, and because they run a 3-4 defense, I seem to watch UVA quite a bit. The mark against him seems to be production. In his two years starting, he caught fewer than Crabtree did this past season. Yet he led the team both years, so it seems to be a function of the Cavalier offense. He does need some coaching up on the finer points of route running and setting up defenders. I think he's a solid 5th round value.

He can't perform like Nicks if he had a quicker start-up time -- he's not nearly as physically talented. I just don't agree that he has a slow start-up time. It seems his 10 split is better than most WRs in the draft.

Living where I do, and because they run a 3-4 defense, I seem to watch UVA quite a bit. The mark against him seems to be production. In his two years starting, he caught fewer than Crabtree did this past season. Yet he led the team both years, so it seems to be a function of the Cavalier offense. He does need some coaching up on the finer points of route running and setting up defenders. I think he's a solid 5th round value.
Thankee. My apologies to John.

#23 Clay Matthews OLB USC - OLB is huge need imo. Clay can add that extra passing rushing ability Vrabel lacked last year.
#34 Evander Hood DT Mizz - Doesn't look like Wright is coming back, and Seymour and Wilfork's contracts are up next year. Is not a finished product, but he has great size and speed to fit into the DE mold in Pats 3-4 for long to come.
#47 Sean Smith DB Utah - Sean Smith can play CB or S well. We need depth in both positions.
#58 Juaquin Iglesias WR Ok - A perfect fit for the #3 WR position. Good blocker and good hands who can run a short route to get open.
#89 Michael Hamlin S Clemson - Great tackler who would be a terrific backup to Sanders, and a solid contributor on ST
#97 Demetrius Byrd WR LSU - Has the speed to be a good return man, and the size to grow into the #3 WR position
#120 Cornelius Lewis OG - Big and surprisingly fast. Just what BB likes.
5th Tony Fiammetta FB Syracuse - I'd rather have Evans, but Tony is the next best thing.
6th Insert Punter here
7th Jake Ingram LS

I knew the Barwin obmission would not go unnoticed... as for the WRs, what can I say? I draft WRs like the Patriots, that is to say, not very well.

Edit - I am not a slave to the stop watch

Last edited:
23. Darius Butler CB UConn -- Any way you slice it, I'm reaching for someone here. Butler has moved slightly ahead of Al Smith in my CB pecking order, although I'd be cool with either one. If we sign Bodden before the draft, I think I'm taking Beatty instead.

34. Connor Barwin OLB Cincinnati -- With Sintim off the board, I want the consensus binky. Nicks and Beatty deserve consideration.

47. Brian Robiskie WR Ohio St -- There's really nothing not to like about Robiskie, and he might be the most ready to contribute immediately, so I'll hope the likes of Chung, the interior linemen, and the TEs will be around @ 58.

58. Jonathan Luigs C/G Arkansas -- Patrick Chung, Chase Coffman, and Jamon Meredith are the other considerations. However, Coffman's a luxury, and I'm hopeful that I can miss out on Chung and grab Vaughn, Hamlin, or Bruton with my next pick. I'm not certain either Luigs or Wood will be there, and G is the priority right now.

89. David Bruton S Notre Dame -- With Vaughn taken a couple picks previous, I'll take Bruton now. He gets the edge over Hamlin with his size, character, and return ability.

97. Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina -- Downhill player with surprisingly good athleticism who should be able to step up when Bruschi calls it a career.

124. Dorell Scott DE Clemson -- Should replace Mike Wright on the roster. If Wright stays, even better.

136. Joe Burnett CB Central Florida -- Burnett, Christopher Owens, Jarret Dillard, Pat White, AQ Shipley, Derek Pegues....lots of value lying around here.

158. Terrence Knighton NT Temple -- Supply and demand at its finest.

169. Kory Sperry TE Colorado St -- Intriguing guy just getting back to form after serious injury.

192. Lydon Murtha OT Nebraska -- Some impressive athleticism for Dante's pipeline.

230. Josh Mauga ILB Nevada -- Has some experience in the 3-4, could have some inside/outside flexibility.

Top 10 Priority Free Agents
Mike Teel QB Rutgers
Ryan Durand G Syracuse
Richard Quinn TE North Carolina
Curtis Brinkley RB Syracuse
Javorski Lane RB Texas A&M
Louis Ellis NT Shaw
Manuel Johnson WR Oklahoma
Don Carey CB Norfolk ST
Robert Francois LB Boston College
Michael Jones WR Arizona St

#23 - Clay Matthews OLB - Fills immediate need at OLB
#34 - Rashad Johnson S - Hard worker, quarterback of defense at 'Bama
#47 - Sean Smith S - Plays both safety and corner, lots of upside
#58 - Brandon Tate WR - Receiver is a need, returns kicks as well
#89 - Antoine Caldwell C - Plays center and guard positions, can possibly replace Neal when he retires
#97 - Terrance Taylor DT - Played in a 4-3 and a 3-4, can also play DE
#120 - Scott McKillop ILB - Not prototypical size, but is a hard worker, developmental player
5th - Pat White QB - Mr. Do-Everything. Pats could do a lot with this guy
6th - Nic Harris S - Hard hitter, but I don't see him falling this far.
7th - Thomas Morstead P - Never had a punt blocked, good hang time, can also kick FGs

#23 Alphonso Smith CB
#34 Jared Cook TE
#47 Barwin DE/OLB
#58 Patrick Chung S
#89 Brandon Gibson WR
#97 Jasper Brinkley
~#120 Best Punter Available
5th
6th
7th

If I could trade up and down......

#21 Heyward-Bey WR.....Fast and runs good routes. Putting him opposite Moss would make it much more easier for Welker.
#47 Sean Smith CB..Pretty tall and should do a good job against tall WR..Has good hands too. I think we had to put O'Neal on the Chargers WR cos Hobbs struggles covering tall CBs.
#48 Jared Cook TE....Has speed like Watson but better hands.
#52 Connor Barwin DE/OLB....I was impressed with his work-out at the combine. Most fans here like him so he should be good even though i never saw him in college.
#63 Patrick Chung SS.... Good in run defense...Pretty hard hitter too..Smart too.
#97 Chris Miller P.....Don't know much about him but he looks like the best punter.

Trade 23 and 5th and 6th for #21
Trade #34 for #48 & #90
Trade #58 and #120 and 7th for # 52
Trade #89 and #90 for #63

Connor Barwin ranked at #52? Wow. Oh well, I'll abide by the rules and draft them as they are ranked.

#23 Darius Butler CB. He's a fast rising CB. Excellent agility, 40 time, and 10 yard splits. Slightly better size than Alphonso Smith. (Fallback: Alphonso Smith)
#34 Connor Barwin OLB/TE. I believe he's the best OLB prospect for the Pats in this draft. (Fallback: Sintim)
#47 Sean Smith S/CB. I like Smith's flexibility and I see him as a tall, strong safety prospect for the Pats who can cover. (Fallback:patrick Chung)
#58 Ron Brace DT. A luxury pick who can backup Wilfork and perhaps take over next year if Wilfork wants too much money. Excellent size and he projects to a 2 gap 3-4 prospect while filling a future need. (Fallback: Gilbert)
#89 Shonn Greene RB. Evans has been shopping himself around. Greene is the perfect replacement as the Pats power/short yardage back. I can see him rising up the depth chart quickly. (Fallback: Jennings)
#97 (assumed compensatory for Asante Samuel) Trevor Canfield OG. Backup to Neal who might have to start sooner than expected if Neal comes down with yet another injury. (Fallback: Urbik)
~#120 Pat White WR/QB/KR. I see Pat White as an ARE type guy. The thing I like about him is his ability to create yards/RAC in the open field. He is decent value in the 4th round. I wouldn't go for him before this pick though. (Fallback: Mike Thomas)

My mock draft doesn't go beyond this point because their list doesn't go past player #150.

Last edited:
#23 Clay Matthews OLB USC - OLB is huge need imo. Clay can add that extra passing rushing ability Vrabel lacked last year.
#34 Evander Hood DT Mizz - Doesn't look like Wright is coming back, and Seymour and Wilfork's contracts are up next year. Is not a finished product, but he has great size and speed to fit into the DE mold in Pats 3-4 for long to come.
#47 Sean Smith DB Utah - Sean Smith can play CB or S well. We need depth in both positions.
#58 Juaquin Iglesias WR Ok - A perfect fit for the #3 WR position. Good blocker and good hands who can run a short route to get open.
#89 Michael Hamlin S Clemson - Great tackler who would be a terrific backup to Sanders, and a solid contributor on ST
#97 Demetrius Byrd WR LSU - Has the speed to be a good return man, and the size to grow into the #3 WR position
#120 Cornelius Lewis OG - Big and surprisingly fast. Just what BB likes.
5th Tony Fiammetta FB Syracuse - I'd rather have Evans, but Tony is the next best thing.
6th Insert Punter here
7th Jake Ingram LS

I write this up this morning, then by the afternoon we sign a CB and WR and totally change the team needs :eek:

I write this up this morning, then by the afternoon we sign a CB and WR and totally change the team needs :eek:

And here I was reading about those signings and thinking "ok, no draft impact there!" :)

And here I was reading about those signings and thinking "ok, no draft impact there!" :)

Ditto. It depends on where Springs fits in. In any case he won't be a long term solution at his age.
Lewis, I don't see making an impact. I'm not even sure he makes the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey