PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible surgery for Stidham

I feel bad for the kid. Would have wanted to see him get competitive reps the last two camps. He did well in preseason 3 years ago. Hope we I/R him and have him return next year for his final year.

I feel bad for the kid. Would have wanted to see him get competitive reps the last two camps. He did well in preseason 3 years ago. Hope we I/R him and have him return next year for his final year.

The price if right....

Stidham always manages to get hurt when faced with competition, he also got hurt when Cam arrived and he realized he was in for fight.

The guy dances in the pocket under pressure like his feet were on fire, has all the tools but has chicken blood in his veins... say goodbye.

Like the opposite of pushing through adversity. When Cam signed didn't he take off for Texas for a couple weeks. That was probably the end for him looking back on it.

Like the opposite of pushing through adversity. When Cam signed didn't he take off for Texas for a couple weeks. That was probably the end for him looking back on it.
It goes back to draft night for me, he was staying in his future in-laws house all throughout college, the Pats call him and he shrugs off his girlfriend who tries talking to him after he hangs up the phone, literally tells her to “shhh” in her own home, then turns up the TV, runs and jumps in her pool after his name is called, no congratulatory kiss, no “thank you baby.”

Seems like a phony to me, a guy who had it too easy, soft… we’d have been better taking the jockstrap king Gardner Minshew later, better player, better character.

Last edited:
Stop. He did nothing to get us a viable QB either starter or back up. We literally have the bottom of the barrel for a QB room other than Jones who we have to hope and pray is ready sooner rather than later and can actually play.
You're right, he should have been picking QB's with all those Top 10 draft picks the Pats had every year.

I agree. It's unfathomable that BB didn't acquire Mahomes and Hebert in case something like this happened. Should also have gotten Rodgers, Carr and Garrapolo as they were also available. One can never have enough Pro-bowl level QBs available in case of injury.
Absolutely ridiculous post. No one was calling for Mahomes or Rodgers waiting in the wings for when Bill kicked Brady out of town. What many were calling for (myself included) was to have the heir apparent ready to go. That clearly was not the case as Bill had no viable starter on the roster when Brady left. He was seemingly content to go into the season with Brian Hoyer or Stidham as his starter in 2020 only to pick up a broken down Cam from the bargain bin. Bill jumped out of the plane with no parachute.

Last edited:
You're right, he should have been picking QB's with all those Top 10 draft picks the Pats had every year.
Who is asking for a top 10 guy? He took Garoppolo in the second round and every indication was that he was going to take over for Brady. He traded Jimmy 2.5 years before he ran Brady out of town and didn't seem to have much interest in finding a guy he liked to take over.

The only QB in that time period that ever had a chance to be "the next one" was JG and he isn't a bum.

99% of 4th round QB picks are what they are. Backups at best. Not NFL starter caliber. The talk that Stidham deserves a shot because Brady was a 6th rounder therefore logically that means Stidham will be good too was of course complete nonsense. He is a bust if you thought he ever was going to be good enough to start, and judging by his college career and his NFL career to date that was and still is a stretch to me. I guess my expectations were lower than most.
Jimmy lasted 2 games when Brady was suspended for 4 games. In SF, When Jimmy wasnt on IR, he was game managing. Certainly in the 2019 post season hiding his inabilities behind the SF RBs.

Vs Minny, SF ran for 186 - 2 TDs and Jimmy went 11 - 19 for 131 yards 1 TD/INT
Vs GB, SF ran for 285 - 4 TDs while Jimmy went 6 - 8 for 77 yards 0 TD/INT

The plan with Stidham was for him to step as QB when Brady left. He was not ready at all and BB had to sign Cam who became the starter by default. Evidently the Pats have little faith in Stidham when they took Mac Jones.

Jimmy lasted 2 games when Brady was suspended for 4 games. In SF, When Jimmy wasnt on IR, he was game managing. Certainly in the 2019 post season hiding his inabilities behind the SF RBs.

Vs Minny, SF ran for 186 - 2 TDs and Jimmy went 11 - 19 for 131 yards 1 TD/INT
Vs GB, SF ran for 285 - 4 TDs while Jimmy went 6 - 8 for 77 yards 0 TD/INT

The plan with Stidham was for him to step as QB when Brady left. He was not ready at all and BB had to sign Cam who became the starter by default. Evidently the Pats have little faith in Stidham when they took Mac Jones.
Yeah unfortunately that last part was a huge swing and a miss by BB thinking it was ok to let Brady walk at that time with Stidham entering the picture. There's a good reason why Stid fell all the way to the 4th round.

Other than the two mistakes (the overthrow and the sack in the 4th quarter - and they were big ones) I thought Jimmy played all right in the SB. Ticky tack OPI at the half wiped out a huge Jimmy to Kittle gain that might have changed the game.

It goes back to draft night for me, he was staying in his future in-laws house all throughout college, the Pats call him and he shrugs off his girlfriend who tries talking to him after he hangs up the phone, literally tells her to “shhh” in her own home, then turns up the TV, runs and jumps in her pool after his name is called, no congratulatory kiss, no “thank you baby.”

Seems like a phony to me, a guy who had it too easy, soft… we’d have been better taking the jockstrap king Gardner Minshew later, better player, better character.

I remember that, he jumped in the pool. He was obsessed with viewing his draft announcement on espn, ignored his fiance and family, no hugs or anything. His wife's dad used to be president of the houston rockets. He's basically a spoiled good ole southern boy

Last edited:
Who is asking for a top 10 guy? He took Garoppolo in the second round and every indication was that he was going to take over for Brady. He traded Jimmy 2.5 years before he ran Brady out of town and didn't seem to have much interest in finding a guy he liked to take over.
Brady outplayed any expectation of age, how do you handle an unprecedented situation where a QB is playing the way Brady was at his age? He found the guy he liked in the 2nd round, he got another guy he thought had potential in Stidham. Stidham has the physical tools, but not the mental ones. If QB's fell out of trees like that, every team would have gotten their guy in the later rounds.

Absolutely ridiculous post. No one was calling for Mahomes or Rodgers waiting in the wings for when Bill kicked Brady out of town. What many were calling for (myself included) was to have the heir apparent ready to go. That clearly was not the case as Bill had no viable starter on the roster when Brady left. He was seemingly content to go into the season with Brian Hoyer or Stidham as his starter in 2020 only to pick up a broken down Cam from the bargain bin. Bill jumped out of the plane with no parachute.
See Post 32 above. BB had a plan but TB didn't cooperate by playing like the typical 40 year old QB and riding off into the sunset (and TB had been playing like an aging QB prior to JAG being drafted). So the time came when they had to get rid of one of them because salary cap issues make it difficult to keep two highly paid QBs on the roster and still have a competitive team. I trust you remember the keep TB or JAG debates. The decision was made to keep the GOAT and win a few more SBs (remember them?) then deal with the aftermath later. Look at the Green Bay situation, no different than what the Pats went through a few years ago, keep Rodgers or go with Love.

Last edited:
So what would have been a plan, if a top 15 guy isn't the answer?

We really taking Justin Ramos as a legit source for this? It could be true but this dude is definitely a “throw stuff against the wall and hope you get lucky” type.

We really taking Justin Ramos as a legit source for this? It could be true but this dude is definitely a “throw stuff against the wall and hope you get lucky” type.

That’s fake Ramos, missing the S in Patriots. Apparently one of Spikeking’s followers got upset that Ramos was trying to be the cool new guy with fake sources, and made an imposter account because of it.

So what would have been a plan, if a top 15 guy isn't the answer?

Ever since they redid rookie salaries it became very attractive to go QB in the 1st round. Harder to find QB gems later. JimmyG went in the 2nd round from an absolutely no-name school.

Makes sense BB would read the market like an economist and be willing to go Mac.

Trust in Bill Belichick to resolve the issues. We will have a winning season.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back