PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible ban on the leaping FG/XP block...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad. I guess only if Ghost made that first XP then no OT...

Yeah...imagine if he would have shanked that one at the end of the game to tie it instead!

maybe i'm just stupid but i read it as the PLAYERS UNION wants this, not the league. I'm all for bringing up conspiracies against the pats but i don't think this one is????
whatever, i like the play and it will stink if it gets removed

I'm not buying this is coming from the nflpa....i smell a rat somewhere... Someone on competition committee got to the nflpa to play patsy for them in this case and push the issue

Is there anything else, that the Pats are good at, that needs to be banned?
Difference here though is that it's coming from the Union. Sounds like a legit concern.

I'm not buying this is coming from the nflpa....i smell a rat somewhere... Someone on competition committee got to the nflpa to play patsy for them in this case and push the issue
When have they ever been afraid to just ban things? I seriously doubt that. NFLPA doesn't even like dealing with the NFL.

When have they ever been afraid to just ban things? I seriously doubt that. NFLPA doesn't even like dealing with the NFL.
Competition Committee might be looking at bigger fish to fry - banning kickoffs, changing OT rules etc....
Also makes no sense because why would the nflpa push legislation that could take away a "job"? As teams refine their fg jump block game teams could actually keep guys on a team for this specific reason. Not saying u keep a 110M hurdler on the roster, but perhaps guys make a team because they have this particular skill in addition to football acumen...

Sigh. One step closer to flag football.

I have no problem with teams doing it while it is legal, but the play should indeed be banned. It is ridiculous that you cannot line up opposite the center for safety reasons but can perform that flying leap maneuver.

The NFLPA is not engaging in some anti-Patriots conspiracy, and the writer is mistaken to say "the Patriots popularized" that play. He obviously never heard of Kam Chancellor
I agree, I absolutely abhor the leaping over the pile. I remember that playoff game a couple years ago -- probably what you're referencing to -- when Chancellor leaped over the line on back-to-back plays! (I think there was a penalty called both times.)

It just feels kind of, I don't know, cheap or gimmicky, like it's bastardizing or exploiting the game a little bit. I, for one, am glad they are looking into getting rid of this.

It's getting so the next step will be to make all FG attempts free kicks, because with every passing year the league has created rules that make it almost impossible to block a PAT or FG.
You say this, but we're only two years removed from them moving the PAT back, which effectively has the same outcome (i.e. more PATs are missed).

K0w6A1.gif

"Harbaugh!"

It was an exciting play and I have a feeling it got into the kickers heads a little bit too.

Competition Committee might be looking at bigger fish to fry - banning kickoffs, changing OT rules etc....
Also makes no sense because why would the nflpa push legislation that could take away a "job"? As teams refine their fg jump block game teams could actually keep guys on a team for this specific reason. Not saying u keep a 110M hurdler on the roster, but perhaps guys make a team because they have this particular skill in addition to football acumen...
I doubt it's costing anyone a job. I highly doubt NFLPA is doing anyone a favor from the NFL. Theyd just do it themselves. Winston has gone after the NFL multiple times, I can see the concern. Guy could fall pretty awkwardly.

Soon its going to be teams HAVE to kick off to end zone and not short purposely to pin an opponent for poor field position ya'know because Ghost nails it every time and nfl* can't have BB and Pats mastering yet another rule change so just make another rule change.

FGs are becoming too automatic. They are taking away anything to block the kick up the middle and getting there from the outside is virtually impossible unless the snap or hold is messed up.

Narrow the goalposts to bring FG %age back to what it was in the 1970s.

I would love to see some coaching against this line jump strategy. Things like:

- keep an upback to block the leaper

- snappers known to keep their heads down lift their heads every now and then, drawing a penalty upon contact. Even just once in a while will keep the defense honest

- go for two more often

Too boring? Just outlaw it instead?

Regards,
Chris

so dumb question...

how many people have been injured by this play?....ohh...none?

well then....

Rules Changes reportedly proposed by the Competition Committee (aka, The Committee to Disadvantage the New England Patriots) as a result of SB LI:

No more two point conversions in the Fourth Quarter.

"Mercy" rule: a team leading by 25 or more points with less than five minutes to go in the Third Quarter is declared the Winner of the game.

Mandatory retirement for Quarterbacks at the age of 40.

Any pass that is defected by a defender, then hits the receiver's hands, then bounces off the defender's leg, and then is caught by the receiver less than 2 inches off the ground will now be ruled an interception

I smell a Raven, not a rat...

Eric Winston is a ****y who doesn't even play in the league anymore. The guy should piss off! No fun league Players association!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back