PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Portnoy ups the towels to 70000

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that Barstool Sports guy actually had 70k of those things, people either were hoarding them, they weren't distributed thoroughly ... or else he lied about how many he had made.

Oh, gee...do you think?

My cousin went around looking for a towel and couldn't find one. During her search, she didn't find anyone who had one. If Barstool was handing them out, they did a terrible job of it.

I think they handed them out to NFL employees. They announced this all over the internet for like a month before the game. No way Goodell lets a little guy (in his eyes) like Portnoy embarrass him nationally.

Goodell is mentally ill. This is the type of thing that would really piss him off. I'm sure he did everything in his power to stomp this out and it worked.

I have to disagree. A lot of folks had the towels. A lot of folks who got them also had extras that they were taking home to family and friends. A lot of people had the shirts on too. However, any time anyone held one up on the Jumbotron the camera moved on. They were very careful at the game to conceal the shirts and the towels as much as possible. When the only real chant happened in pregame, the stadium immediately asked the crowd to have a moment of silence for the hurricane victims in TX, thus squashing any momentum with the Roger stuff. Apparently Goodell went on the field briefly during pregame warm ups, but that was too early for me, so I did not see him at all. They never showed him once on the Jumbotron and it appeared to most folks that he wasn't even there. So, he was still in hiding in the building, but I guess he got the last laugh seeing how crappy we played.

I was there plenty early. there were tons of towels and T-shirts. I would say about 1/4 of the stadium had them but the problem was no one really knew what and when to do with them.

They wound up being useful twice. The First was about 60 min before kickoff when Roger showed his face on the field. It was so early but because of the ceremonies there were more people than usual and we gave him a pretty good booing and the towels were out in force and Roger definitely got the message. So on that note the Clownout was a success.

Then the rest of the crowd showed up and the Ceremony happened. When that concluded there was about 3-4 min left before kickoff and the crowd decided that was the time for a roger chant and to break out the towels. But it quickly ended as they moved to the anthem and then kickoff.

The crowd wanted to use them there was just no point or direction after that. Portnoy probably should of told everybody to wave them at a specific point in the game.

During the game the jumbo operators did their job to avoid the image as best as possible. I can only assume the TV broadcast was even more careful. I kept seeing the T-shirts in the background of shots but the towels were mostly in people's pockets and if people pulled them out when they got on the jumbo they switched to a different shot quickly.

In total I think the Clownout was little bit of fizzle as far as the optics. But they were everywhere and Roger definitely got the message so the intent was successful and Barstool got all sorts of press locally and on Fespn so they got their monies worth (not that that matters to us).

So, I think if the Pats were playing better they'd have been waved a lot more. I noticed them coming out in my section more when we did something good and especially when we scored. Even then though more people were raising those blinking cups more.

My cousin went around looking for a towel and couldn't find one. During her search, she didn't find anyone who had one. If Barstool was handing them out, they did a terrible job of it.
They were not widely distributed. As noted earlier, I walked by six private lots on the south side of Route 1 en route to the stadium two hours before kickoff and saw a few people with towels but nobody handing them out. They're easily available now on eBay, though.

They were not widely distributed. As noted earlier, I walked by six private lots on the south side of Route 1 en route to the stadium two hours before kickoff and saw a few people with towels but nobody handing them out. They're easily available now on eBay, though.
I was just going to mention this so I will anyways. They have some up for bids and some for buy it now. It's amazing how much $ they are asking for these "towels". I hope karma bites you in the ass whoever volunteered to distribute these and just "stole" them to sell on ebay. The sellers are from CT, RI, NH & MA. Why wouldn't people just buy them from Barstool? They're likely cheaper anyways, though I only saw t-shirts and no towels.

gettyimages-843922322.jpg
I'm guessing you didn't see this on NBC last night...

gettyimages-843922322.jpg
I'm guessing you didn't see this on NBC last night...
They definitely didn't show this. Like others mentioned you could see them in the end zone seats when XP's and FG's were kicked.

The fans showed up on this; the Pats and NBC used technology to hide it. A lady in line with us had a poster that said, "You suck Goodell!" with the clown face on one side. It was confiscated by stadium security before she was allowed to enter the stadium. While I'm sure they must confiscate posters sometimes, I have never actually witnessed it before in over 20 years of attending games.

The fans showed up on this; the Pats and NBC used technology to hide it. A lady in line with us had a poster that said, "You suck Goodell!" with the clown face on one side. It was confiscated by stadium security before she was allowed to enter the stadium. While I'm sure they must confiscate posters sometimes, I have never actually witnessed it before in over 20 years of attending games.
You should get your pictures out on social media.
My son told me early in the game goodell clown face was the #1 trending item.

You should get your pictures out on social media.
My son told me early in the game goodell clown face was the #1 trending item.
LOL, those aren't my pictures. I was just getting mad that everyone was saying there were no shirts or towels there last night, so I googled it and copied those pics from somewhere else. I was actually waving my own towel too much to take pics. I gave it to my friend after the game though (her mom wants it as a souvenier), as I don't keep rally towels from losses. Bad karma. And yes, people were offering $30 for the towels at the end of the game, and I DID see widespread distribution, although I also saw a lot of folks taking 5 towels, instead of 1 and leaving the rest for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes