PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll - Which ring-less BB/Brady era player do you most wish won a championship here?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who do you think most wished won a ring with the Patriots?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This concludes my series of polls, questions I've been thinking about a long time and been curious about others thoughts. I think this recent SB win brings a lot of them to the forefront.

During the Patriots run from 2001-present, many great players have won multiple rings, yet a 10-year gap between titles left a few great, memorable guys without a title. My question isn't who most deserved one but who you most wish had won one (though that could be virtually the same thing?)

I think the choices are obvious and no need for a huge list.

Wes Welker (2007-12). Welker's ending was bitter and he is often remembered for a certain missed connection, but he was one of the toughest, best Patriots of the era and one of the great slot receivers of all-time. He set numerous franchise records and was arguably Brady's favorite receiver over Brady's career. Welker was tough as nails and a total warrior. Including with Denver, he won three conference titles, nothing to be ashamed of there but heartbreaking nonetheless.

Randy Moss (2007-10.). Another somewhat bitter ending, but the overall sentiment remains that Moss was one of the most beloved Patriots during his short stint, having set an all-time record of 23 TDs during the 2007 magical season. Considering the injuries to Brady in 2008 and Moss in 2009, he really only had one full season at full health. Moss did things athletically that we once thought were impossible and is probably the most talented receiver to ever play the game. He bought into the system for much longer than anyone thought before his skills declined and contract talks caused things to go south fast. He also remains a huge Patriots cheerleader and takes every opportunity to kneel to Brady and Belichick.

Logan Mankins (2005-13). Oddly, Mankins career with the Patriots was the exact period of their Super Bowl drought. A perennial all-pro star guard, Mankins was immensely talented, tough, and one of the team's most revered locker room guys. He did have a nasty contract dispute but ultimately reamained here until Bill decided his end was near. A great overall player. Mankins' performances in memorable losses, though, are also part of his legacy, as he it often appeared he was manhandled by physical teams like the Giants and Ravens. Of course, he played with many undisclosed injuries, including a torn ACL in 2011.

Junior Seau (2006-09). Maybe nothing was more heartbreaking in the wake of the SB42 loss than Seau's postgame AFCCG speech: "In two weeks, we have a chance to be part of forever." A hall of fame player who badly coveted that final accolade, the ultimate team player and inspirational leader, Seau fit in great as a situational veteran player who continued to go all-out from age 37-40 under Belichick and was an ultimate Patriot. His tragic death makes us feel even worse that he never experienced the glory he chased for so long.

Honorable Mentions

BenJarvus Green-Ellis (2008-11) and Danny Woodhead (2010-12). Two running backs who I really wanted to see experience glory. Was disappointed Woodhead left for the money and always loved his gritty work ethic and that we stole him from the Jets. BJGE, the law firm, never fumbled in a Patriots uniform and constantly exceeded expectations. Both were undrafted free agents.

Jabar Gaffney (2006-08). Maybe a homer pick, just always loved this guy and his reliable hands. Was never the most talented receiver but made a lot of big plays when called upon.

Guys who won a ring from the sidelines

Jerod Mayo (2008-14). Mayo is one of three players on here who has a ring but did not play in the Super Bowl. He did, however, play half of the 2014 season, and it's not like his ring is illigitimate. Just hard to have him watching on the sidelines after being the defense's heart and soul for so long. Mayo is one of the best defensive players of the Belichick era but was sadly cut short by injuries.

Ben Watson (2004-09). Watson technically has a ring but was a bit player in 2004. I believe he was inactive most of the season and the playoffs. He was never a contributor to a championship team. He has a solid career and is a great guy, very smart player, though he never seemed to breakout as a star. Doesn't technically belong on this list but worth a footnote on his championship. Solid player who played bigger roles when needed.

Roosevelt Colvin (2003-08). Like Watson, he was part of a championship team, actually two, but due to a major injury he missed virtually all of 2003 and returned in a tiny role in 2004. Was not reallya contributor to either team. Had some great years in the NFL and with the Pats, but unluckily, those were the two he missed.

I am surprised by the lack of love Logan Mankins gets here.

Yes i know on some big stages he got beat but when beat it was usually by great players.

Welker.

Guy literally put his brain and body on the line every single game and put up amazing numbers year-after-year .

The whole SB drop then going to a hated rival for less money though.....

Surprising that Moss was more popular, he basically quit on the team in 2010, Welker would never in a million years quit even on a single play.

Moss.

On the last drive of SB 42, he had a step on two defenders on Tom's 70+ yard bomb. If Brady could have just put another foot or two on that pass, I have no doubt it would have been caught. We would've had one shot at the end zone from inside the 15, with a chip shot for overtime. Most haunting football play of my life.

I can't believe Welker isn't getting more love. Yes, I know all about the drop. It happens. If I recall, there were some big drops in 51 as well. If you make enough catches you're going to drop some and you don't get to choose when they happen.

As for the way he left town, was it worse than Moss? Welker was getting lynched by everyone after the Super Bowl, when their were plenty of other reasons the Pats lost that game. Sometimes it isn't about money, and despite what we all like to believe, there are other teams that can attract free agents without huge contracts.

Welker probably won't be able to walk in 10 years and his brain is tapioca for what he did for this team. I for one appreciate everything he sacrificed.

I would say Welker. I maintain that that pass from Brady in SB46 wasn't great, and I have kind of forgiven him for going to Denver. If he hadn't done that, Jules would never have become Jules, and history would be different.

Last edited:

Yes i know on some big stages he got beat but when beat it was usually by great players.

Tough SOB and great player but you just cited the reason why he doesn't get more love here.

I picked Mankins because he was the only player drafted by the Pats, he was as tough as they come and was very well liked by fans who knew him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft