PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: Thuney or Andrews, who is more valuable?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is more valuable in terms of New England’s overall effectiveness on the offensive line?

• Joe Thuney

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • David Andrews

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night. New England had Thuney all last season but didn’t have Andrews and I feel like the results this year when they got him back were night and day by comparison in the running game. So I’m curious to know how anyone else feels about this. Nothing negative about either player because I think they’re both terrific, I’m just not sure where they’ll spend the money this off-season.

Ideally, both would return as I find both very valuable. Because Thuney will command more $, I feel that he is the one most likely to move on. If NE could only keep one - with no financial considerations - I'd go Thuney. I feel that he is actually a player that, if cloned, could start for NE at all five OL positions and man them well.

In my opinion, Thuney is definitely the better player. The one thing is the money though, Thuney will also command more money and is it going to be too much for us to pay? I'd love to have Thuney at Center with Mason and Owenu at the guards. That would give us a great interior line. The only problem is we can't pay Thuney what he is going to want/get for being a Center.

Ideally, both would return as I find both very valuable. Because Thuney will command more $, I feel that he is the one most likely to move on. If NE could only keep one - with no financial considerations - I'd go Thuney. I feel that he is actually a player that, if cloned, could start for NE at all five OL positions and man them well.
I agree. I’m just worried that if his price tag goes to high, I feel like they can find a guard but not necessarily a center like Andrews. The other dynamic is I wonder if Andrews would have the same success with another player since it could also be that they just work really well together.

The difference between the 2018 and 2019 offense can be easily boiled down to Andrews' absence in the latter, so we know how important he is. But Thuney is the better player with lots of positional flexibility and I don't think we've even had a chance to see how bad our line would be without him. So all things being equal, I'd take Thuney.

But all things aren't equal. Thuney is probably looking at Nate Solder money. I suspect Andrews won't come nearly as cheap as his last contract, but it probably won't be close to what Thuney gets. So it's quite possible Andrews is the better value.

Do we know of any younger OL with promise in the free agency class? Neither of the players in this thread are exactly young, so I could also see the team looking for a third way.

im worried that both Andrews & Thuney are going to be targeted in free agency by the Bucs... they can kick Jensen to the side and realize 10m in cap savings, and not resign the 34 year old ufa Shipley... They get guys Brady is familiar with, and solidify that line... If Brees retires, the NFCS is theirs for the taking next year...

If I had to choose, at this point I'd rather resign David Andrews... top flight centers are making 10-12m a season, so expect to pay 10m or so for him... Thuney on the other hand is in the 15m dollar range... That is a big contract to swallow for a guard, albeit a very good one...

as for who is more valuable? I'd have to say Thuney, just because he demonstrated the ability to play just about every position on the o-line ...

I'd rather re-sign Thuney than Andrews, even if it costs slightly more. Firstly, Thuney is the better player. Secondly, Thuney has been healthier - are we reassured enough that Andrews is over his blood clot issue and that it couldn't reappear? And thirdly, Thuney has more versatility. He can play tackle, guard and center, which itself it very valuable.

Now it depends on the cost. If we are looking at double the price for Thuney, then I'd resign Andrews but if the difference is only a few million then I'd go Thuney.

I think Thuney has been the best offensive lineman the Patriots have had since 2000. Maybe not at peak but he is versatile, consistent and never misses a play for 5 straight years. I worry that he will leave for a big contract and the Pats will end up with nothing due to signing other free agents.

Reactions: Ian
Thuney, but he's also going to be far more expensive.

There's a couple of nasty centers in the draft who I think would be solid picks in the mid to late rounds, Jimmy Morrissey at Pitt, James Empey at BYU, Ryan McCollum at Texas A&M

Thuney, but he's also going to be far more expensive.

There's a couple of nasty centers in the draft who I think would be solid picks in the mid to late rounds, Jimmy Morrissey at Pitt, James Empey at BYU, Ryan McCollum at Texas A&M
FWIW, the way the Patriots OL has worked, it seems like a "cerebral" center (e.g., Koppen, Andrews) works better than a "nasty" one (e.g., Stork, Karras).

I think there's no doubt that Thuney is the better player, and all other things being equal he is more valuable. However, the equation is more complicated: Since the Patriots don't seem to have trouble finding good guards, is Thuney at his price tag plus a replacement player at center better than Andrews at his price tag, plus a replacement player at guard? Alternatively, you could move Onwenmu to LG and find a replacement at RT. Ideally, I'd like both, but like I said, one position that Patriots seem pretty competent at "next man up" is OL, so I think it's better to keep one and devote resources to other positions that need help (DL, LB, WR, TE, QB).

I agree. I’m just worried that if his price tag goes to high, I feel like they can find a guard but not necessarily a center like Andrews. The other dynamic is I wonder if Andrews would have the same success with another player since it could also be that they just work really well together.

In general it's not prudent salary cap strategy to have massive dollars tied up to interior blockers. We have routinely found guards or centers who were good and 5th+ round draft picks. So I like both Andrews and Thuney but if we're trying up big dollars to OG or C, probably not a great sign. If Thuney stays would make him play LT whenever Wynn is hurt, or have him play RT if Onwenu can't solidify the RT spot. We never won a ring paying Mankins big money. It's like paying a RB big money - doesn't make sense from a cap strategy stand point.

I think there's no doubt that Thuney is the better player, and all other things being equal he is more valuable. However, the equation is more complicated: Since the Patriots don't seem to have trouble finding good guards, is Thuney at his price tag plus a replacement player at center better than Andrews at his price tag, plus a replacement player at guard? Alternatively, you could move Onwenmu to LG and find a replacement at RT. Ideally, I'd like both, but like I said, one position that Patriots seem pretty competent at "next man up" is OL, so I think it's better to keep one and devote resources to other positions that need help (DL, LB, WR, TE, QB).

Agree with 95% of this. The only thing is LG is so much less important than RT and Onwenu can play good RT. So it makes sense to make Onwenu the starting RT and just plug the interior linemen spots (and not spend big $ on interior linemen spots)

Agree with 95% of this. The only thing is LG is so much less important than RT and Onwenu can play good RT. So it makes sense to make Onwenu the starting RT and just plug the interior linemen spots (and not spend big $ on interior linemen spots)

Agreed, just listing it as an option since I thought that's where Onwenu (thank you for the correct spelling... every time I typed it my brain had a hiccup) would end up eventually. But you're right. If he's their best option at RT, you leave him there.

I think Andrews has to be priority for a few reasons:
1. We don't have anyone close to his skill/knowledge of the system to replace him
2. Thuney will demand more, especially since he played with the Tag this year
3. We have invested a lot in Guard lately, and replacements seem more possible than Center
4. After saying all this, Joe has been an iron man and never misses time, while Andrews has missed a ton

I think Andrews has to be priority for a few reasons:
1. We don't have anyone close to his skill/knowledge of the system to replace him
2. Thuney will demand more, especially since he played with the Tag this year
3. We have invested a lot in Guard lately, and replacements seem more possible than Center
4. After saying all this, Joe has been an iron man and never misses time, while Andrews has missed a ton

Agree. Well said. If Thuney needs 15M/yr and if it's not to play LT or RT then I don't think it makes sense to keep him.

I voted Andrews but both are obviously talented and important. I think it is harder to find a good center than it is a Guard.

Not a huge fan of paying two interior lineman big money... would rather take the comp picks. My guess is they need to keep one or they will have huge overhaul on line. Mason/Onwenu/Wynn and one of Andrews/Thuney is a great start. Would only need to replace one interior starter.

Cajuste is out there somewhere as well haha. No idea if he would ever turn into something... have never seen the man. From what I remember he was an excellent prospect but dropped quite a bit in draft due to a pre-draft injury...Knee problems this year.

If Cajuste can be a swing T or kick inside to Gaurd (no idea what his skill set is) we should have a servicable line in 2021 without spending a whole lot of money or draft capital (maybe a couple mid-round picks?)

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back