PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Most disappointing defensive player so far this year?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Most disappointing Pats defensive player this year:

• Chris Long

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Jabaal Sheard

Votes: 44 41.5%
  • Cyrus Jones

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Logan Ryan

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me? Sheard. After last year this is a huge drop off...was getting smoked vs Seattle

I know this thread is basically just an extension of all the threads we've seen the past few days, but I'll play.

Sheard takes my top spot. He was downright dominant at times last season. Then all the TC reports said he was a monster in practices. Then he liked like a monster in the limited snafus we saw in the preseason games. Then...he was mostly benched last game after being almost invisible leading up to said game. Maybe he's just simply not a full time guy.

Logan Ryan. I often said he was better than a lot of other teams' #2 guy. He is having his worst season as a pro by far. There are actually people on this board who still defend him, but I guess that will always be the case (Maroney, Dobson, etc.). He has been terrible. At first I thought it was just because he was covering guys like Fitzgerald, but nope. Even bottom rung guys give him the business. He played so well in the middle stretch of 2015. What happened?

Malcolm Brown. I love the young dude and he's only in year 2, but disappointing nonetheless. Maybe he'll pick things up down the stretch like last season.

Collins...and that's partly why he's gone.

Sheard and Ryan... That's bad but could be good... Patriots IMO are the best team (maybe you can argue that Cowboys are superior), but if they win, they will get many of the players in defense for a way cheaper deal ... Nobody is paying Ryan 4/5 m today. Nobody is paying Sheard 7 m now IMO... They're talented i hope they buy low and have a even greater team next year

For me this was easy, Jamie Collins. Apparently was such a pain in the ass he got shipped off to Cleveland. On the field I was also disappointed as I really thought this was the year he was going to put it all together and be the DPOY with 100 tackles 6 sacks 3 picks and a couple FF. Instead he looked a step slow and indecisive with the exception of the Texan game never playing like an above average LB. Still wish he was a patriot and would have rode out the season but easily my biggest disappointment.
The Jamie Collins in the Houston game was arguably playing at a defensive player of the year level. To go from that to being a non factor in other games, (in the Bills game he looked flat out bad) is really disappointing since it appears to be an issue of effort/focus/preparation, rather than skill/athleticism.

That being said, my vote still goes to "Clamp Clsmpington". The season's not over yet and he can still turn things around, but he hasnt had a single bright spot and has been nothing but a train wreck so far.

Mingo

Does he still have a locker? Mingo was a beast in a preseason game flying to ball and creating plays. Hopes were that he would learn the Patriot way and turn into a stud just doing his job.

Collins

Its Sheard for me by far. Ive loved him for years and Cleveland hoping we'd get him one day. Perfect for Bill in that hes a run first guy that can line up across the front.

No excuse but I really think hes hurt. I don't see any change of direction in him at all. Maybe im way off but i see a guy who can really go in a straight line and thats it.

Also regarding Collins. People need to just stop. His tackles have gone down every year and hes basically the same player he was years ago when he "broke out" against Indy.

Sheard and Ryan... That's bad but could be good... Patriots IMO are the best team (maybe you can argue that Cowboys are superior), but if they win, they will get many of the players in defense for a way cheaper deal ... Nobody is paying Ryan 4/5 m today. Nobody is paying Sheard 7 m now IMO... They're talented i hope they buy low and have a even greater team next year

Buying low is why we have a mediocre defense. We pay for cheap serviceable bottom feeders instead of expensive elite talent like Denver and Seattle. Our defense is the only thing holding us back from super bowl 51 because our offense is more than good enough

This is not something new for the Patriots, if they had scored it would be called genius.. they didn't thus the vitriol.

If you watch a lot of NFL you can obviously see most teams do not use the clock anywhere near as well as the Pats do, consistently throughout the game.

What evidence do you have that they were "afraid"???

Tom Brady said they were trying to take time off the clock during his Monday morning interview on Callahan and Kurt.. or whatever those 2 ****heads call themselves.

Buying low is why we have a mediocre defense. We pay for cheap serviceable bottom feeders instead of expensive elite talent like Denver and Seattle. Our defense is the only thing holding us back from super bowl 51 because our offense is more than good enough

If Sheard is a rotational ED, and Ryan a backup i am happy with our depth, aren't you?

2017 #1 pick ED (Ninko) + Malcom Brown ( 2017 #4) + Branch (Valentine) + Flowers (Long/Sheard)

HT (2017 pick #3.b or Mingo/Freeny/ McClellin) + Roberts (2017 pick #3.b or McClellin/Freeny/Mingo) (Rowe for sub)

Butler (Jones) + DMac (Harmon) + Chung (Richards) + 2017 #2 pick (Ryan)

Same could be said about any team including the two you named.

If Sheard is a rotational ED, and Ryan a backup i am happy with our depth, aren't you?

2017 #1 pick ED (Ninko) + Malcom Brown ( 2017 #4) + Branch (Valentine) + Flowers (Long/Sheard)

HT (2017 pick #3.b or Mingo/Freeny/ McClellin) + Roberts (2017 pick #3.b or McClellin/Freeny/Mingo) (Rowe for sub)

Butler (Jones) + DMac (Harmon) + Chung (Richards) + 2017 #2 pick (Ryan)

I thought I was finally done with theory math. What exactly are you suggesting here? Are these hypothetical trade scenarios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes