PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Most disappointing defensive player so far this year?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Most disappointing Pats defensive player this year:

• Chris Long

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Jabaal Sheard

Votes: 44 41.5%
  • Cyrus Jones

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Logan Ryan

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sky is not falling folks, we are 7 & 2 after a particularly difficult 4 game run..

If were to gauge statistics vs. Seattle, we were just about the same in time of possession(30:25 to 29:25) and total yards gained(420 to 385)... does that mean that Seattle has a bad defense as they gave up about the same number of yards???

Then there were the two Pats turnovers.. probably the most telling stat of all.

For the 100th time the Seahawks were one of the worst offenses in the NFL and pats one of the best. Competition not the same

Tough to single anyone out but for me it is Collins. This was his "money" year and I thought he would be great, but if anything he regressed. I wish they kept him anyway, I hate the stupid trade, but obviously the guy decided to go in his own direction this year and BB did what he did for reasons we will never know for sure.

This Pats defense has some above average talent but no one who needs to be accounted for/avoided. In contrast, Seattle has Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Thomas, Chancellor, and Sherman, any of whom IMHO would immediately be the best player on the Pats D if they switched unis in Sunday. Their D is far superior to the Pats'; their O is closer to the Pats O than the Pats D is to their D again in my little opinion.

Sorry to say it, I'm almost never in the sky is falling category, but I really don't see this team overcoming their fundamental issue of mediocre talent this year, especially when going up against the better QBs. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

It has to be a toss up between Sheard and Brown, given the expectations around here. Brown has been pedestrian at best and Sheard is on the back of a milk carton.

Tough to single anyone out but for me it is Collins. This was his "money" year and I thought he would be great, but if anything he regressed. I wish they kept him anyway, I hate the stupid trade, but obviously the guy decided to go in his own direction this year and BB did what he did for reasons we will never know for sure.

This Pats defense has some above average talent but no one who needs to be accounted for/avoided. In contrast, Seattle has Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Thomas, Chancellor, and Sherman, any of whom IMHO would immediately be the best player on the Pats D if they switched unis in Sunday. Their D is far superior to the Pats'; their O is closer to the Pats O than the Pats D is to their D again in my little opinion.

Sorry to say it, I'm almost never in the sky is falling category, but I really don't see this team overcoming their fundamental issue of mediocre talent this year, especially when going up against the better QBs. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Brady has carry lousy defenses into the superbowl. Let's just hope he can do it again. Home field advantage's big for this team. I feel comfortable if the defense es at home and not on the road.

For me, Brown is always an enigma. I can't ever tell if he's truly playing well or not. He always seems to show flashes, but doesn't sustain consistency.

Let's give him more time, though. Hightower looked similar in a way during his first two years, where he showed flashes but was wildly inconsistent.

Ninkovich. First the suspension and second that he has done nothing since returning. Chung has been their best defender, I don't see how anyone could put him on the list.

For the 100th time the Seahawks were one of the worst offenses in the NFL and pats one of the best. Competition not the same

Stop repeating this mindless nonsense. Wilson has been playing hurt for most of the year. He seems to be getting healthy and is playing much better. He played very well vs Buffalo the week before as well. They also have some good weapons for him - Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Prosise.

I disagree with the hate on Sheard when you have a group of decent/good players you play them on a rotational basis. Yes Sheard is no Chandler Jones and Definitely no Von Miller but he's not as bad as PatsFans.com or BB and Patricia is making him out to be. Does Chris Long deserve to play more snaps than Sheard? Based on production hardly. Our Talent evaluators themselves needs to be evaluated you just don't trade away Very Good Players and don't have their replacements on your current roster.

Ninkovich. First the suspension and second that he has done nothing since returning. Chung has been their best defender, I don't see how anyone could put him on the list.
I've also been confused why Chung has been lumped into it. I've seen nothing too negative on him.

Meh, I'm going to wait until the end of the year to say on this. The D was awful on Sunday, but it was their first time out after a major player was traded. Let's see if they right the ship in the next few weeks. One person I think we are missing more this year than last is Big Vince.

Meh, I'm going to wait until the end of the year to say on this. The D was awful on Sunday, but it was their first time out after a major player was traded. Let's see if they right the ship in the next few weeks. One person I think we are missing more this year than last is Big Vince.

Deb, Vince left two years ago.

Agree with this as well. Even though they haven't been much fun to watch the defense was second in scoring until Sunday night and are still in the top ten. And I trust Belichick and Patricia to get them playing well for the playoffs. It's really strange that so many players are playing poorly in their contract years and it makes me wonder if that was playing out in the locker room and a big factor in the Collins trade. As it stands the only defender who is really going to cost big bucks is Hightower, as Sheard, Long, Ryan, Harmon and the rest really haven't played well enough to demand it. After Sunday Belichick and Patricia should definitely have their attention and it will be interesting to see what they can accomplish with them going forward.

The sky is not falling folks, we are 7 & 2 after a particularly difficult 4 game run..

If were to gauge statistics vs. Seattle, we were just about the same in time of possession(30:25 to 29:25) and total yards gained(420 to 385)... does that mean that Seattle has a bad defense as they gave up about the same number of yards???

Then there were the two Pats turnovers.. probably the most telling stat of all.

We lost the game because we gave the ball up twice. But at the end of the game instead of just focusing on getting the ball in the end zone they were trying to milk clock... and obviously the reason why they were trying to milk clock was because they were afraid of Seattle with 42 seconds slicing through the secondary and kicking a field goal to win it.

Greetings,
I think Malcolm Brown has played ok this year, but I really expected him to take his game to a Wilfork like level this season. Hasn't happened this season. I also expected Sheard to get double digit sacks, and maybe Long would play like a decent backup this season. I am not shocked Mingo and McClellin haven't done anything this year.

BTW, I voted Logan Ryan because that dude has regressed A LOT!!

Celticboy04

Last edited:
I chose Other; as in, All of them.

We lost the game because we gave the ball up twice. But at the end of the game instead of just focusing on getting the ball in the end zone they were trying to milk clock... and obviously the reason why they were trying to milk clock was because they were afraid of Seattle with 42 seconds slicing through the secondary and kicking a field goal to win it.

This is not something new for the Patriots, if they had scored it would be called genius.. they didn't thus the vitriol.

If you watch a lot of NFL you can obviously see most teams do not use the clock anywhere near as well as the Pats do, consistently throughout the game.

What evidence do you have that they were "afraid"???

"On any given Sunday" with a healthy Russell Wilson against Seattle, one of the best defenses in the NFL..

Competition is very close to the same, if not equal..

When any team plays an upper echelon team and commits two turnovers, the odds against winning go significantly down..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes