PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: If you were the Browns GM, would you trade #1 overall for Garopollo?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade the first pick in the draft for JG, if you thought he was going to be great?

• Yes

Votes: 74 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 51.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were the Browns' GM I'd trade the #1, the #12, and my second round picks for the next ten years for Jimmy. I'd then wait to be fired by the owner, and live happily off of my remaining contract while watching the Pats continue to dominate the League and make Goodell and his owners crazy.

Bwahahahaha.

...the biggest piece missing form the Pats D might well be an elite edge rusher. Garrett is possibly/likely that guy.
NE has locked up 2 of the 3 most vital defensive pieces...#1 CB and #1 LB..... but DE is being stopped gapped. NE has the chip to fill this hole for 5 years.
All in for Garrett!!!
It's not over

I think at the end of the day Cleveland is going to deal the #1 pick, but not to the Patriots. I think they're going to trade down and load up with a couple #1's, including at least one in the 2018 draft, so that they can continue making a strong push for Garoppolo after draft day.

If I'm Belichick, the time I'd be most likely to trade Garoppolo, is during or after training camp when I can get a solid snapshot of both Brady and Brissett. If both look good and Brissett in particular has shown enough progress that he ought to be able to perform in the primary backup role for a Superbowl bound team (in other words, either ready to start at a decent level or on track to do so with a few more months of practise), that's when I pull the trigger on Garoppolo.

I think the interests of the two teams come together much better after the draft compared to before. BB will want the certainty of seeing what training camp tells him, and that's not particularly inconvenient for the Browns. Besides, if I'm the Browns I don't give a damn if Garoppolo misses Browns training camp, in fact given the option to put him through camp as a Patriot or a Brown, I consider the former an advantage considering how much more together the NEP are as a franchise. So I load up on 2018 picks if I really want Garoppolo, because I think that BB is going to wait until training camp to even decide what to do with Jimmy G and how badly he needs him in the blue and silver -- and in that case 2017 draft assets aren't going to bring Jimmy G to Cleveland no matter what.

The Browns need a quarterback desperately or Hue Jackson will loose his job in one or two years. Jackson, coaching aside, is a big talker. His big talk (reminiscent of Gen. Haig's "I am in charge here") has already cost him a head coaching gig in Oakland. If Jackson feels Goroppollo can help Cleveland get a 6-10 in 2017 and a 8-8 in 2018 he should trade for him. And if it takes a #1 to get him, so be it.
Myles Garrett is a luxury Cleveland does not need. A reasonably productive QB keeps a team in the game and is more important than almost any player on the defensive side (with a few exceptions, of course). Draft is a crap shoot anyway.
(Dion Jordan was released by Dolphins today. He was the #3 pick of the 2013 draft.
PFT reports that Jordan was appraised as a "can't miss" guy by all. Miami traded up to get him).

Last edited:
There is a LOT of PR and perception going on with this topic. Teams have to answer to more than just their football operations people. Giving up the #1 pick is just too much of a PR headache for the Browns as someone said earlier. Besides I think a package that included the #12 plus a 2nd and a conditional 3rd that COULD end up being a first next year is actually a better strategy than just the #1 pick. It would get you 3 shots at a quality prospect, and 3 chances to hit on a player is always better than one.

The more I think on this the more I see SOMETHING happening before the draft. Despite Schefter's protestations I cannot see BB passing up a package that included a #1 and 2 THIS season to keep an asset who is unlikely to play during the coming season, JUST to have a quality back up for Brady.

Brady is going to be here for at LEAST the next 2 seasons and JG is under contract ofr just one more. That is an equation that just doesn't fit, and while franchising him is possibly possible, it makes no sense.

There is only one reason why BB would keep JG this coming season, and that is he knows that Brady will NOT be the QB of the Patriots in 2018. That is the ONLY possible scenario that would make sense for him to reject a package of picks like the one I describe, especially given our lack of a pick in the first or second rounds this season.

As time goes by and no trade happens, the Draftniks are getting scared. I recall when they were sure Polo could be had for a second and another lesser pick, never a First. Then maybe a Late First; and then a First and something; and then a medium high First; and then then that, and another pick; and then even more. Now the First overall.

When will you Draftniks realize Polo is a potential franchise QB in Belichick's vision and you can't get him at any even unreasonable price?

If he fails he will fail with BB first. But he sees him everyday and knows things you don't, and is seldom wrong about players he has had playing for him, unlike draftees and trade acquisitions.

Polo has intangibles as well as the most important tangibles of a franchise QB candidate which are: a) size b) accurate c) catchable d) lightning fast & compact release e) pocket mobility. The intangibles he sees daily are: a) smarts b) coachability c) leadership qualities d) star power.

An intangible that applies to the Team and not to Polo directly is that BB need NOT heavily alter the Team to win with him. Unlike long ball franchise types like Rothlesberger, or Eli who are downfield chuckers, and demand superior downfield catchers, augmented by a good, move-the-chains run game. BB does not have to rebuild the Team.

Belichick has said without the uniform numbers it is hard to tell Brady and Polo apart on the field. Their play style is so similar as to be virtually identical.

As time goes by and no trade happens, the Draftniks are getting scared. I recall when they were sure Polo could be had for a second and another lesser pick, never a First. Then maybe a Late First; and then a First and something; and then a medium high First; and then then that, and another pick; and then even more. Now the First overall.

When will you Draftniks realize Polo is a potential franchise QB in Belichick's vision and you can't get him at any even unreasonable price?

If he fails he will fail with BB first. But he sees him everyday and knows things you don't, and is seldom wrong about players he has had playing for him, unlike draftees and trade acquisitions.

Polo has intangibles as well as the most important tangibles of a franchise QB candidate which are: a) size b) accurate c) catchable d) lightning fast & compact release e) pocket mobility. The intangibles he sees daily are: a) smarts b) coachability c) leadership qualities d) star power.

An intangible that applies to the Team and not to Polo directly is that BB need NOT heavily alter the Team to win with him. Unlike long ball franchise types like Rothlesberger, or Eli who are downfield chuckers, and demand superior downfield catchers, augmented by a good, move-the-chains run game. BB does not have to rebuild the Team.

Belichick has said without the uniform numbers it is hard to tell Brady and Polo apart on the field. Their play style is so similar as to be virtually identical.
Jimmy is really good, but that is just some type of coach speak by BB.
I am 100% sure that BB can tell Tom Brady and Jimmy G apart.

Yet you so conveniently forget that next March JG is going to be a FA. He is NOT going to be here in 2018. So whether he is going to to be a franchise QB or not really doesn't matter. Unless of course, you want to dump Brady after next season. And don't give me that "franchise crap" because that is NOT going to happen.

BTW- after you have to call the doctor when that 4 hour JG hard on fails to deflate, you might want to consider that THIS season he isn't even going to be the best QB on the Patriots. It is highly unlikely that he will get to play any meaningful minutes. So tell me again WHY we are keeping an asset that could get us multiple quality picks? Is it so you can tell your friends we have the best back up in the league? :rolleyes:

BTW-2 - Get your facts straight those of us who called for the Pats to get first round picks or multiple picks only did so AFTER JG played so well to start the year and AFTER it became clear that no one in this year's QB class is capable of starting for an NFL team this season.

BTW-3 There is no reason for Browns or any other team to trade for JG before the 27th of this month, so the fact a trade hasn't happened to this point isn't relevant.

So in the end you can ball wash JG all you want, but UNLESS you are committed to seeing the Brady era come to an end after this season, it will be meaningless, because if Brady is here for the 2018 season Garapolo won't be.

Last edited:
Yet you so conveniently forget that next March JG is going to be a FA. He is NOT going to be here in 2018. So whether he is going to to be a franchise QB or not really doesn't matter. Unless of course, you want to dump Brady after next season. And don't give me that "franchise crap" because that is NOT going to happen.

BTW- after you have to call the doctor when that 4 hour JG hard on fails to deflate, you might want to consider that THIS season he isn't even going to be the best QB on the Patriots. It is highly unlikely that he will get to play any meaningful minutes. So tell me again WHY we are keeping an asset that could get us multiple quality picks? Is it so you can tell your friends we have the best back up in the league? :rolleyes:

BTW-2 - Get your facts straight those of us who called for the Pats to get first round picks or multiple picks only did so AFTER JG played so well to start the year and AFTER it became clear that no one in this year's QB class is capable of starting for an NFL team this season.

BTW-3 There is no reason for Browns or any other team to trade for JG before the 27th of this month, so the fact a trade hasn't happened to this point isn't relevant.

So in the end you can ball wash JG all you want, but UNLESS you are committed to seeing the Brady era come to an end after this season, it will be meaningless, because if Brady is here for the 2018 season Garapolo won't be.
Great post. You covered all the relative points.

Also, unless Brady really declines he will still be the best QB on the Pats in 2018.

I fully agree with the people that state the key to success and winning Super Bowls is through having an elite QB. And therefore a top tier QB is always going to be more valuable than a top tier DE (this year's number one overall pick).

However, given the circumstances the Pats face with Jimmy G one year away from free agency and likely having to pay him $20 million through franchising him or some other way when he might not even be our starter makes me dream of a possible alternative.....

If the Pats could secure the number one overall and draft Myles Garrett then I would love to see him rushing the passer on this team. Imagine what he might become under this team's coaching.

The Pats have a good D-Line and with Trey Flowers we have a burgeoning superstar. Now imagine if Myles Garrett lives up to the pre-draft hype. He has the physical make up to dominate. And when you have a strong DBs and LBs who can tackle and make plays and DEs who stop the run and rush the passer then you make the game even easier on the offence.

If we got the number one overall then I imagine BB would trade down for multiple picks stretched across the next two drafts. Thats not what I would want him to do.

My first choice would be to have Jimmy G play for the Pats until 2030 and lead up to multiple super bowls. But for that to happen we are going to have to likely give up Brady within the next two years. Probably before Brady wants to stop.

But if Brady was going to play on at the same standard for the next five years imagine how great our D could be with Myles Garrett rushing the passer and on a long term affordable rookie contract.

Have contended all along that JG is overvalued, particularly on this message boards..

Possibly you could trade him for the #12 pick, but more than likely the value is not as high as most people expect, however if there is value for the "Patriot Legacy Factor" he may be valued more, the "shiny bead" theory: he has been around BB & #12 for a few years now so he has to be good.

Franchising him for $20 Million a year defies the economic philosophy of the Patriots, chance are slim and none.

Absolutely not. That's crazy talk. The one they have that is in the teens? Maybe.

If I thought Jimmy G was going to be a top 5 QB in the league, then yes, I trade the #1 overall pick with no hesitation.

But If I think he's going to be just very good, but great enough to make the Browns a winning team, I'd try to hold onto #1 and instead send a package involving #12 plus sweeteners.

Sounds like the new Cleveland management is very Moneyball. That's how they have stockpiled so many picks. However eventually they need to expend some of that draft currency/assets if they want to start a winning program in Cleveland.

Draft Picks don't win you games, good players do. The good thing about Jimmy G is that his development phase is accelerated since the Pats have done most of the hard work prepping him. He's ready to lead a team to wins TODAY. Any QB you draft, even if they pan out usually take 2-3 years to mature.

The Brown have #1 and #12 though. They could easily draft Garrett and one of Tribusky/Watson/Kizer/Mahomes. It's not "draft a QB or draft Myles Garrett"... they can, and probably will, do both. They can likely package #12 and #33 and move back into the top 5 in the draft (according to the draft value chart that is an "even" trade, although obviously that depends heavily on if the team at #4/#5/#6 is willing to trade)

Now, one of the common criticisms of this draft is that Trib/Watson/Kizer/Mahones are kind of mediocre draft prospects. Okay, maybe that's true. But Jimmy Garoppolo was the 5th quarterback taken in his draft class, and he lasted until the 62nd pick in the draft. It's not like he was a hyper-elite prospect either. Sure, he's had a couple of stellar games, but his sample size is pretty small. (Remember how good Matt Flynn -- who holds the Packers' all-time record for passing yards in a game [480] and touchdowns in a game [6] -- was in his limited time in Green Bay?)

No, I'm not saying I think Flynn was as tantalizing of a prospect as Garappolo (but there are parallels). Yes, I realize that Garappolo's stock is higher than when he was drafted. But overall, I think people dramatically exaggerate the leverage the Patriots have. The Browns have a substantial amount of ammo and resources. If they like one of the QBs in this draft, there's a good chance they can nab him and Garrett.

It has been stated consistently, none ....."0" of these QBs in this class can start right now. Who is going to be their QB? Hate to say it but Osweiler could be the starter.

It has also been stated that Jimmy G would have been the top QB in this class. Now they have a decision if that was the case. I think Jimmy wins out. Really still is the case. So why not take him here? Here is another thing, Jimmy G will cost about 25% of what they have to pay an unproven rookie, Garrett. If he has a decent year, then throw $$$$ at Jimmy. It' a test drive...yes I get the #1 deal of losing that choice, but perhaps you don't have to package up as many picks. It could benefit the talent star Browns.

Example: The Texans made the playoffs without Watt. They also had a mediocre QB. If JG is even just mediocre he brings the Browns competitiveness up.
DW Toys

Yes. Yes I would. Because I'm a Patriots fan.

Is Romeo still over there?

Sorry, right, no Romeo.

Tx google, F U old dude memory.

If I thought Jimmy G was going to be a top 5 QB in the league, then yes, I trade the #1 overall pick with no hesitation.

But If I think he's going to be just very good, but great enough to make the Browns a winning team, I'd try to hold onto #1 and instead send a package involving #12 plus sweeteners.

Sounds like the new Cleveland management is very Moneyball. That's how they have stockpiled so many picks. However eventually they need to expend some of that draft currency/assets if they want to start a winning program in Cleveland.

Draft Picks don't win you games, good players do. The good thing about Jimmy G is that his development phase is accelerated since the Pats have done most of the hard work prepping him. He's ready to lead a team to wins TODAY. Any QB you draft, even if they pan out usually take 2-3 years to mature.

Going from the worst quarterback situation in the NFL (that's Cleveland for going on two decades) to an above average or even respectable quarterback will make a remarkable difference in the team's overall competitiveness. Why would they need an automatic top-5 quarterback in order to make that huge upgrade? The alternative is keep the #1 overall pick, draft a "sure thing" at defensive end, have a presumed top-5 defensive end, and improve the team microscopically while still being a bottom feeder. These #1 overall picks - when not sure-fire quarterbacks - are incredibly overrated. And other teams realize this, which is why they won't be trading down for a windfall of picks.

Are you really saying if you thought Jimmy Garopollo was going to be "really good" and enough to make them a winning team, you wouldn't trade the #1 pick for him?!?!?! If the Browns were sure JG would make them a winning team, they would probably trade an entire draft plus some for him. Good luck waiting for that top-5 quarterback. I hear Tom Brady's son is just reached four feet tall.

Last edited:
If I was the Browns GM I probably wouldn't trade the #1 over all. I would trade #12 and maybe a 2nd rounder and maybe a late rounder for JG.

The #1 pick for a QB who we think is good but don't know for fact is a very risky proposition.

If I was the Browns GM I probably wouldn't trade the #1 over all. I would trade #12 and maybe a 2nd rounder and maybe a late rounder for JG.

The #1 pick for a QB who we think is good but don't know for fact is a very risky proposition.

A great quarterback will improve a team, on a weekly basis, by about seven points. A good quarterback will improve a team by about 3-4 points. An average quarterback won't improve the team but won't make them regress below average for the position. Currently, the Browns are losing somewhere between 3-7 points per game due to their dismal quarterbacking.

If Myles Garrett turns out to be the next Von Miller, he might be worth a swing of 1 point per game.

If you don't accept this statistical model, go make a ton of money by betting against Vegas and you'll be the first. Rob Gronkowski, widely regarded to be the best non-QB offensive player in the league, was worth 0.9 points per game in Vegas.

It isn't risky to hold course because you already know the horrible outcome. It's just stupid to hold course.

Going from the worst quarterback situation in the NFL (that's Cleveland for going on two decades) to an above average or even respectable quarterback will make a remarkable difference in the team's overall competitiveness. Why would they need an automatic top-5 quarterback in order to make that huge upgrade? The alternative is keep the #1 overall pick, draft a "sure thing" at defensive end, have a presumed top-5 defensive end, and improve the team microscopically while still being a bottom feeder. These #1 overall picks - when not sure-fire quarterbacks - are incredibly overrated. And other teams realize this, which is why they won't be trading down for a windfall of picks.

Are you really saying if you thought Jimmy Garopollo was going to be "really good" and enough to make them a winning team, you wouldn't trade the #1 pick for him?!?!?! If the Browns were sure JG would make them a winning team, they would probably trade an entire draft plus some for him. Good luck waiting for that top-5 quarterback. I hear Tom Brady's son is just reached four feet tall.
The guy played about 90 minutes for the best team in football and you've got him as a top-5 QB. It's far more likely he's Matt Flynn than Drew Brees.

The guy played about 90 minutes for the best team in football and you've got him as a top-5 QB. It's far more likely he's Matt Flynn than Drew Brees.

I most certainly did not say he is a top 5 QB. It was a direct response to JG not being worth the first pick IF, as the other poster said as a hypothetical, JG is a very good QB who can lead the Browns to a winning record, but is not a top-5 QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back