PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: If Belichick Pulled an Andy Reid, Would You Want Him To Stay?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If Belichick said, "I just want to coach" - Would you want him to stay?

• Yes

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
If Bill Belichick pulled an Andy Reid - who if I recall (and just noticed Albert Breer also brought it up last night on NBC Sports Boston) removed himself from this when he left Philadelphia - and said, "I'm done scouting and sitting in personnel meetings, let someone else deal with that. I like teaching and just want to coach," would you want him to stay?

Last edited:
Who hires the rest of the coaching staff?
The new GM
or
Bill's Friends & Family coordinator

Who hires the rest of the coaching staff?
The new GM
or
Bill's Friends & Family coordinator
I would say the GM and O'Brien should be the ones in charge of staffing the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. They need to improve that and build continuity to weather any departures moving forward, along with also incentivizing guys to stick around rather than seeing so many of them bail at the first opportunity. I feel like there's also a reason behind that we're all probably unaware of.

I said no because his philosophy will not change.

Even if doesn’t take care of personel, what will happen when the GM will give him a smaller Lb? He will just convert him to safety.

Or if you give him a rookie blue chip WR and he fumble the ball in his first game? Will we not see him for 4 games?

"Hey, Bill, I could go get the coach at Foxborough High to do it better than that."
RKK

• Ha Ha
Reactions: PP2
I would say the GM and O'Brien should be the ones in charge of staffing the coaches on the offensive side of the ball.
So the HC hires half the coaching staff?
Does the HC have the power to fire offensive coaches?
Does the HC have authority over offensive coaches...ie....offensive game planning, offensive roster management, etc?

Love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation....
Robert: "Bill....you are no longer GM and only half HC.....Good luck.....oh.......and I told the new GM to not spend too much I'm building another phallic symbol on the other side of the stadium....Feng shui""

Does the HC have authority over offensive coaches...ie....offensive game planning, offensive roster management, etc?
I'm assuming the defensive staff wouldn't be touched. And I'm also assuming he'd have some insight, but anything related to the offense, his staff, etc., along with the game plan heading into a given game would be deferred to O'Brien, barring special circumstances. And any players O'Brien wanted to use would obviously have to be available.

college football dancing GIF by Miami Hurricanes

I'm sorry, what? ;)

I'm assuming the defensive staff wouldn't be touched. And I'm also assuming he'd have some insight, but anything related to the offense, his staff, etc., along with the game plan heading into a given game would be deferred to O'Brien, barring special circumstances. And any players O'Brien wanted to use would obviously have to be available.
I expanded my last post for your viewing pleasure...

Love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation....
Robert: "Bill....you are no longer GM and only half HC.....Good luck.....oh.......and I told the new GM to not spend too much I'm building another phallic symbol on the other side of the stadium....Feng shui""

I expanded my last post for your viewing pleasure...
LOL, the big thing is at this point, he'd just have to delegate and trust O'Brien rather than micromanage. The two have a good relationship, so it's not like there wouldn't be a reason to believe it wouldn't work. That's sort of been the issue that I think a few people have brought up, he needs to just trust his guys and let them do their jobs.

Although, again, we don't know some of the personnel questions in terms of who was actually responsible for what decisions. The fact any of the positive stuff hasn't leaked (guys Groh and the front office guessed right on) makes me believe there were mistakes made. Albeit, that may or may not be true since it's just me speculating.

No. It’s a recipe for disaster.

1) wouldn’t even be remotely fair to the new GM to have Bill still in the building. Bill casts a very large shadow over the place.

2) the GM can pick players but he wouldn’t be able to force Bill to play and develop them. Bill has a doghouse for young players who make mistakes. Last thing we need is a 1st round WR or QB getting benched for 4 games for fumbling.

3) we need an upgrade in assistant coaches. Bill will not let anyone else pick his staff.

4) the GM could see the game different then Bill and draft/bring in players who Bill won’t like for his system. The GM needs his own guy in place to run their system. He’d be handcuffed running Bill’s.

5) Bill has already shown he won’t play nice when he’s told he has to do something. When Billy O came in this year Bill hamstrung him by not letting him bring in his guys.

No because I don't think he would do that in good faith. He may say "ok, fine, I will just coach" but I find it hard to believe he would be happy/content with getting personnel power stripped away from him. It is also hard to imagine him working well with a GM who disagrees with his evaluations and then proceed to do everything he can to make the players (he didn't want) successful. If we want to move on as an organization, it is best to have a clean slate instead of introducing more internal conflicts

at this point, I'm just tired of it all. Greatest NFL coach in the history of the game, but at some point you have to move on and this seems to be the best time. We need a new voice and a new perspective.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back