PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: How many points will the 2019 Patriots Defense Allow?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How many points will the Defense Allow?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's giving lots of credit to the Chiefs offense than it is an indictment on the Pats D.

The Chiefs scored 40 on the Jags, so you think they will score 43 on a better defense? In our building?

This is one of our best defenses ever fielded in terms of pass coverage. Could we use more pass rush? Yes, but the coverage hides it so well.

Our defense btw allowed 0 points vs the Jets. One TD was off a muffed return and the other a pick 6 by Brady. So they have been absolutely on fire to start the season. 3 actual point surrendered by the defense through 3 games.

Unfortunately the points will be counted against them, I'm thinking our defense stays under 17 ppg for the season though. This is a top notch, elite unit. Adding Bennett and Jamie Collins helped an already strong secondary unit.

Last edited:
This is one of our best defenses ever fielded in terms of pass coverage. Could we use more pass rush? Yes, but the coverage hides it so well.

Our defense btw allowed 0 points vs the Jets. One TD was off a muffed return and the other a pick 6 by Brady. So they have been absolutely on fire to start the season. 3 actual point surrendered by the defense through 3 games.

Unfortunately the points will be counted against them, I'm thinking our defense stays under 17 ppg for the season though. This is a top notch, elite unit. Adding Bennett and Jamie Collins helped an already strong secondary unit.

I think our pass rush does enough. We have a lot players who are capable of applying pressure and a couple of them will have 5-8 sacks.

The biggest plus of this defense is the depth. We have 20-21 players who can play. Lots of them can tackle, rush the passer, stop the run and cover at a fairly high level.

I think our pass rush does enough. We have a lot players who are capable of applying pressure and a couple of them will have 5-8 sacks.

The biggest plus of this defense is the depth. We have 20-21 players who can play. Lots of them can tackle, rush the passer, stop the run and cover at a fairly high level.
Tied with Jacksonville for the most sacks (13).

True, as a group they do enough, I just mean we don't have that one elite pass rusher that must be gameplanned around. But it's complimentary football. Bennett and Collins have contributed nicely to the overall picture.

Overall though I feel the secondary is causing quite a few coverage sacks because of how long and how well they cover. With a different secondary I don't think you see the same sack totals if you isolate this DL/pass rush group.

So far we have 8% more sacks per game than the 85 bears 98% more than the 2000 ravens and 33% more than last years league leader so it’s hard to criticize the pass rush.

It’s going to be hard to keep up at this rate but this d looks historic.

One TD was off a muffed return and the other a pick 6 by Brady. So they have been absolutely on fire to start the season. 3 actual point surrendered by the defense through 3 games.

Stidham threw the pick 6, not Brady.

That aside, does the special teams 6 & pick 6 count against the defense in this statistic?

should be an option for how many of those points are by the rookies

They're on pace to give up half the points the offense will give up.

This team typically doesn't start getting good until Oct-Nov. Remember that.

Neither does anybody we play LOL... that is to say, the easy games come early. But to that point, weather (cold and/or precip) tends to help a good D more than a good O.

I'm more in the camp that it's fun to look ahead and hope/project, but heck, we so don't know. The great teams are the ones that do it every game.... and don't have that one weird game where they give up 30 or 40, followed by that other game where the narrative is they didn't bounce back quickly... You only know you passed that test in retrospect. So thinking this way right now just makes me nervous.

Also, yes, the D is responsible for 3 points thus far... but how do they calculate the stat? Raw points against, or adjusted for whether its the D or the rest of the team? We can maybe make it a footnote ("And 14 of those points were not even against the D...") But we cannot say "This defense only allowed 3 points in 3 games, compared to the 85 Bear which allowed X points in the 16 game season," without subtracting out pick-sixes, fumble returns, punt/kick returns, etc.

True, as a group they do enough, I just mean we don't have that one elite pass rusher that must be gameplanned around. But it's complimentary football. Bennett and Collins have contributed nicely to the overall picture.

Overall though I feel the secondary is causing quite a few coverage sacks because of how long and how well they cover. With a different secondary I don't think you see the same sack totals if you isolate this DL/pass rush group.

I believe Collins and van Noy are very, very good pass rushers.

@TommyBrady12 Is this points against (the official NFL stat) or points given up when the NE D is on the field?

Stats for the Patriots defense last 9 games:

Points given up: 97 (11 per game)
yards given up: 2396 (266 per game)
turnovers created: 17 (+7 differential)
passing TD/INT: 9/9
sacks: 29

I don't know exactly what it is but BB found the perfect formula for this defense after the Miami miracle to build a downright dominant unit without 5 future HOFers.

This unit got even better with the additions of pass rushers Collins, Winovich the return of a very good coverage LB Bentley.

At this point I think they will allow less than 15 per game at the end of the year. A formula has been found and they roll with it all season long.

@Tron , do you really think the defense is going to allow 350-400 points or are you just trolling?

Why no option 'fewer than 100'? ARe you not a real fan? :)

I actually didn't realize I selected that option. I thought I clicked 200-250. Thanks for the heads up!
@Tron , do you really think the defense is going to allow 350-400 points or are you just trolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down