PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playing to Harry's strengths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please show that incredible catch he made which was called back ,,penalty on Edelman!!
WOW Unbelievable that was.
That's hopefully for the future.
Look a few posts up

Harry's gonna be a stud.

once edelman gets fully fit, all the harry's learnings will bear even more fruits i think. A fully fit edelman isnt easy to handle. Right now he is really toughing it out and easier to cover.

Thing is, will Edelman be fully fit by the postseason? It sucks that the Pats play before the KC/Bears game. If the roles were reversed, and Chicago somehow pulled out the miracle win, the Pats could've sat Edelman for the final two games. But can't do that now.

UDFAs get looked at as part of the draft because they're the last 10 or so rounds of the draft now done in one black friday style scrum. They're more like draftees and less like vet free agents.

It does make sense to credit the Pats their late round and UDFA successes. They find them too often not to. Somebody saying to himself "you know, this guy fits exactly with how we..." is as legit as "Him fast 40 time, him successful at college level, him satisfy amateur "eye test..." Rnnnnn, musssst drafffft...."

UDFAs get looked at as part of the draft because they're the last 10 or so rounds of the draft now done in one black friday style scrum. They're more like draftees and less like vet free agents.

It does make sense to credit the Pats their late round and UDFA successes. They find them too often not to. Somebody saying to himself "you know, this guy fits exactly with how we..." is as legit as "Him fast 40 time, him successful at college level, him satisfy amateur "eye test..." Rnnnnn, musssst drafffft...."

It makes absolutely no sense to call an undrafted free agent a draftee. They, literally, are not draftees, and that's right there in their status name.

The idea that you rip any GM for taking a player what you as a armchair analyst think is "too early" even though it just takes one other team for him to be gone but then refuse to acknowledge having UDFA hits as part of their draft ability is just silly.

The confusing thing is that none of this should come as a surprise. Makes you wonder if McD and Judge just tried for too long to develop him in the areas that are more closely aligned with how the Pats offense usually proceeds (timing, pitch perfect route running...) instead of going on his strengths.

I can see why they'd do that and how him landing on IR really was a major setback because they lost 8-9 weeks of time to figure that out.

Well it could be a case they think he has the capacity to grow into being a good WR on timing routes as well and were hoping he could catch-up to do so after his long injury downturn. Except that there's not enough time for that now with the time he's lost and now they have to roll with his instinctive skills just to get him involved.

His further development as WR will have to wait till next year.

They have? Seems a bit premature.

I agree. It's too early after all the time he's lost. We'll find out more on that front next year.

For now jet-sweeps and jump balls it is.

If the Patriots can draft a burner like Mecole Hardman and a passable TE, the offense will start ripping again with Harry, Sanu, Edelman and Meyers to do the dirty work.

Need some OL too.

Agreed. Many of us wanted to double dip at WR. I floated the idea of a Harry/Hardman pairing during pre-draft speculation, but mostly I wanted an X and Z for the future. The guy I REALLY wanted was Terry McLaurin. Sharp routes, special team value, great speed. He's been sensational. Ah well. I'm happy with Harry for now. Jalen Reagor or Henry Ruggs would be interesting complements next year.

Remember, we did take two OL, but they're injured. Next year will tell us more about their potential.

It's almost as if when you have a talented NFL player you should find ways to get them the ball rather than benching them for not knowing 100% of the plays for someone less talented...

Now, I'm sure part is harry getting more comfortable in the offense. But Josh shouldve been trying to figure our how to get him involved earlier rather than benching him the last 2 weeks

Thing is, will Edelman be fully fit by the postseason? It sucks that the Pats play before the KC/Bears game. If the roles were reversed, and Chicago somehow pulled out the miracle win, the Pats could've sat Edelman for the final two games. But can't do that now.

Even if the Chiefs lose, if the Patriots lose to the Bills, the Bills could win the division and get a bye if they win their last game and the Patriots lose to the Dolphins. Resting players the final week is only a consideration if the Chiefs lose to the Bears and the Patriots beat the Bills and the Ravens win this week, in which case the Patriots are locked into the 2 seed no matter what happens against the Dolphins.

If the Patriots lose, all bets are off. If the Chiefs win, they're still in play for a bye, and if the Ravens lose, the Patriots could still end up with HFA (and the Ravens could end up playing WC weekend if the Chiefs win out and Ravens lose out, if the Patriots also win out... but if the Patriots only win one of their last two, they'd be the 3 seed).

Basically, unlikely Edelman gets a rest the last week. At this point, the bye is the best hope.

Last edited:
I've only heard Harry called slow by you and the other trolls here. His separation problems are real but aren't speed related. Quickness perhaps, technique and football IQ more likely, but the guy is visibly the best football athlete we have at WR, and still has a high ceiling if he can be coached up to his athletic potential.
Bolded is correct. Long before he came here one of the things that he had to improve was his release(s). Going back to his FR year. Sometimes he'll get to cute. Was hoping Herm would better prepare him for NFL life but it still showed up.

He's a 0/1 step move, speed release player. Just get going, don't try to be cute there. The top of the route is where he has to win, that's where he'll make his money. Just like Hopkins, Thomas, Thielen etc.

Still excited abt his potential & want to see him targeted a ton going down the stretch.

Last edited:
Bolded is correct. Long before he came here one of the things that he had to improve was his release(s). Going back to his FR year. Sometimes he'll get to cute. Was hoping Herm would better prepare him for NFL life but it still showed up.

He's a 0/1 step move, speed release player. Just get going, don't try to be cute there. The top of the route is where he has to win, that's where he'll make his money. Just like Hopkins, Thomas, Thielen etc.

Still excited abt his potential & want to see him targeted a ton going down the stretch.

It's worth noting that this is what happened with Cordarelle Patterson as well. Miserable at getting separation in the pros not due to physical traits (is there a more perfect specimen to ever play wide receiver than Patterson?) but because his release and route running has never been up to par. Harry's not as big or fast on paper as Patterson but he has much better hands. You just hope his issues are correctable in a way that Patterson's haven't been.

That said, much like Patterson, his YAC ability means he'll have a meaningful role on any team in football even if he never becomes a true WR1, which is a plus. His ceiling is high, but so is his floor.

Agreed. Many of us wanted to double dip at WR. I floated the idea of a Harry/Hardman pairing during pre-draft speculation, but mostly I wanted an X and Z for the future. The guy I REALLY wanted was Terry McLaurin. Sharp routes, special team value, great speed. He's been sensational. Ah well. I'm happy with Harry for now. Jalen Reagor or Henry Ruggs would be interesting complements next year.

Remember, we did take two OL, but they're injured. Next year will tell us more about their potential.

As for OL, I mean more highly ranked guys. Before injury, Froholdt was a huge disappointment in training camp. But his later round selection and the scouting on him didn't tell us he'd be anything but that. I'm talking about expending some real capital on OL. We may not have Thuney or Cannon next year.

Harry's gonna be a stud.

You mean to tell me a rookie can develop into a good player over time? All I heard these past few weeks was that he’s a bust.

It's worth noting that this is what happened with Cordarelle Patterson as well. Miserable at getting separation in the pros not due to physical traits (is there a more perfect specimen to ever play wide receiver than Patterson?) but because his release and route running has never been up to par. Harry's not as big or fast on paper as Patterson but he has much better hands. You just hope his issues are correctable in a way that Patterson's haven't been.

That said, much like Patterson, his YAC ability means he'll have a meaningful role on any team in football even if he never becomes a true WR1, which is a plus. His ceiling is high, but so is his floor.
Agreed its abt how utilizing his speed the right way. Josh Boyce fell into the same category. Blazing speed but could utilize it off the line, in/out if his breaks. We'll see. Harry seems like he has what it takes mentally & that's a huge hurdle for most prospects.

The idea that you rip any GM for taking a player what you as a armchair analyst think is "too early" even though it just takes one other team for him to be gone but then refuse to acknowledge having UDFA hits as part of their draft ability is just silly.

Agree completely. UDFA’s are a part of the draft scouting process, and an integral part of the roster building that comes with the draft. Those dismissing it are doing so only because it contradicts their narrative that Belichick sucks at drafting.

Does anyone have a video of that negated 36 yard pass that Edelman was offsides on?

Edit: Found it above

As for OL, I mean more highly ranked guys. Before injury, Froholdt was a huge disappointment in training camp. But his later round selection and the scouting on him didn't tell us he'd be anything but that. I'm talking about expending some real capital on OL. We may not have Thuney or Cannon next year.

Cajuste probably would have been taken in the bottom half of the first round if he hadn't gotten hurt cliff diving in Hawaii. (Ironically, he skipped West Virginia's bowl game to avoid injury.) He wasn't some scrub that they took out of nowhere, and they also drafted him with the understanding that he wouldn't be available this year. Froholdt was a little more of a dart throw.

Harry's talent was never the question in my mind. He showed it on 2 plays in the preseason, he looked like a man among boys. He has shown up with that kind of talent when he has gotten looks. Sure, he makes rookie mistakes. That is to be expected, but the talent is there.

He should get at least two of those sideline jump balls (like the one called back yesterday) a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes