PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players we could see traded (speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that’s a given. The point is Michel needs to show he can do both as well.
I’d say “would be nice” instead of “needs”. They won the SB with no passing contributions to Michel.

I’d say “would be nice” instead of “needs”. They won the SB with no passing contributions to Michel.

I think it’s more likely he will get more receptions this year with what looks like little contributions at TE.

Burkhead is gone. Michel is our power back and the pass catching backs will be split between Damien Harris and James White.

$2M in dead cap money says Burkhead isn't getting cut, the only way he is gone is by trade

I don't know wtf you are smoking, but none of those guys are "just going to get cut. Seriously. You're acting like the guys I mentioned have zero trade value and are just scrap heap rejects. In fact, it's completely asinine for you to claim that there will be players the equivalent of anyone but the WRs I mentioned in the cloud of players released on cut-down day.

As for taking over at LG, they could, most certainly put Karras there. They could also put Froholdt there. You know. The Guard they just drafted.

You're claims that players like Harmon "would just get cut" are absolutely stupid. No. They wouldn't just get cut.

Most of my post was about bubble guys getting traded e.g. Inman and Dawson and Roberts. I don’t think you’re in that camp. You think they could trade Dawson?

But also, they just signed Brooks, the guy people think is replacing Harmon, off the scrap heap. That’s the definition of a comparable player (if you think he replaces him, which I don’t). I don’t think Harmon is getting cut or traded, though he might get rewritten. He has a fair amount of dead money if traded too Duron Harmon

Thuney is 2.2M against the cap with like 200k dead money if he gets cut or traded.. I think that’s pretty fair value for him. I don’t think Karras is good enough to replace him. Froholdt? Did you see the holding calls that guy stacked up tonight? Come on son. Anyways, in your scenario, though, the Pats weaken their OL by trading Thuney for what, a draft pick? A TE?Why would they do that in a possible SB year, with a young LT they need to develop? Joe Thuney

That’s why I don’t see any trades as being likely, they either weaken the team too much (Harmon, Thuney) or aren’t realistic (Dawson, Inman, Roberts). Sounds like you disagree.

Swing tackle and TE still appear to be needs while we seem to have excess talent in the secondary and at LB/Edge. Beyond a trade for within these positions I do not see much return elsewhere beyond conditional 7th rounders.

Burkhead is gone. Michel is our power back and the pass catching backs will be split between Damien Harris and James White.
But who is picking up blitzes? If White goes down, I have a hard time seeing Harris being trusted with all of that right away.

But who is picking up blitzes? If White goes down, I have a hard time seeing Harris being trusted with all of that right away.

Maybe but...

Strengths
  • Well proportioned with the the frame thickness to handle physical work
  • No-nonsense runner, with no sign of cuteness in his game
  • Takes a committed effort to bring him down and runs through initial contact to fall forward
  • Patient zone runner with good feel for when to keep it flowing play-side and when cut it
  • Trusts his blocking up front and generally keeps runs true to designated point of entry
  • Has feet to slalom around interior traffic and a sudden jump-cut for alternative lane choice
  • Tremendous feel for space
  • Works away from traffic while maintaining efficient rush track
  • Ability to secure and maintain possession of the football is elite
  • More than ready to stick his nose in and mix it up in blitz pick-up
  • Scans for leaks in pass protection and uses good technique to square and sustain blocks
  • Very capable as dump-off pass catcher with soft hands and desired ball skills
  • Shared carries in deep Alabama backfield has helped reduce wear and tear
NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Damien Harris | NFL.com

The Patriots typically keep 5RBs plus a FB. Why would you think that would change now? Not to mention that, by all accounts, the Pats fully plan on using Michel, Harris and White in the passing game based on the fact that Michel has 12 receptions during camp already..
They only kept 4 last year and that was with Michel injured to start the year.

$2M in dead cap money says Burkhead isn't getting cut, the only way he is gone is by trade

Forget the dead cap money, I don’t understand why people want to cut Burkhead simply from a talent standpoint. Some of the same posters want to keep Berrios on the 53, which makes zero sense to me. Yes, Rex gets hurt too frequently but when he is healthy he consistently produces (see last years playoffs). He has the versatility to back up both Michel and White without a huge drop-off and is an excellent special teams player. Finally, BB and TB12 both love him. Fake news.

I’d agree with that. Poor choice of words. Should’ve went with the offense would be even better with a dual threat Sony.

Carrying over a thought from another thread...

Ebner
I think Ebner is a guy who fits BB’s ideal of “players I want to coach”, this unlikely to go anywhere unless it results in a compelling upgrade, which I think is not likely.

Forget the dead cap money, I don’t understand why people want to cut Burkhead simply from a talent standpoint. Some of the same posters want to keep Berrios on the 53, which makes zero sense to me. Yes, Rex gets hurt too frequently but when he is healthy he consistently produces (see last years playoffs). He has the versatility to back up both Michel and White without a huge drop-off and is an excellent special teams player. Finally, BB and TB12 both love him. Fake news.

I believe this is one contract BB would like out of if he could.

I agree Rex is fun when he plays, but 3 million is a lot for a guy who has averaged a little over 5 touches a team regular season game because he's only played in little over half the schedule. And has been hurt this camp.

It's better than the 2 million cap hit. He's a good backup when he's not hurt.

You're preaching to the choir

I believe this is one contract BB would like out of if he could.

I agree Rex is fun when he plays, but 3 million is a lot for a guy who has averaged a little over 5 touches a team regular season game because he's only played in little over half the schedule. And has been hurt this camp.

It's better than the 2 million cap hit. He's a good backup when he's not hurt.

Rex always seems to be in when there are some crucial drives

That that's not reason enough to justify overpaying someone.
Good players get paid What am I missing here. The contract is the contract. The dead money is the dead money.

Y’all need to cease with the disrespect of Da Burkmeister; real quick!

It's just that players are not much use if they can't play. As has ALWAYS been the case in the NFL...if a younger cheaper player with the same skill can do the same job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3