PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Play By Play Analysis of THE SB Winning Drive Feb 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep!! I've always loved the Raiders, and my fellow Yankees can blast me all they want for that: OakLand seems to have a penchant for Maverick Teams, particularly the Raiders and the A's, and I love'm both!! America was founded by Mavericks, and Rebels like the A's & Raiders of the 70's manifested the rebellious Spirit that was forged right here in these streets of New EngLand by Yankee Patriot Rebels!!

That's why I'll never acknowledge those Chumps in New York as "Yankees".

Never have been.

Never will be.

They did not vote for Independence in 1776, by the way. True Story!! :eek:

And it's because they were scared ****less of the same Brits who we'd chased out'f Boston!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

Having said all that, **** the Raiders Fans who squealed about that!!

It was called correctly...unlike that alleged "Roughing The Passer" Sewage.

Squeal, ******. Squeal. :D
Of course I rooted hard for Jim Plunkett. I'll always love John Madden for saving Darryl Stingley's life in the hospital, and Mr. Davis' contributions to people and football remain unappreciated. I don't believe either of them had anything to do with Dreith being assigned to that game, but if they did...well sh*t -- it worked!!

Maybe if they were wearing the beautiful Flying Elvis that day things could have been different.

PatsflyingElvis.gif
@ PatrickMorganLA:

Full disclosure: I’m a die-hard Patriots fan and also a millennial who grew up with what many term the ‘Flying Elvis’ design that currently adorns the helmet sides and uniforms of New England football players. I associate the current logo with four Super Bowl championships over the past 15 years and all the sweet, sweet memories that come attached to those accomplishments and everything else the team has achieved with their modern dynasty under the Bill Belichick/Tom Brady tandem.

So with that in mind, it might be a bit surprising for some Boston fans to find their beloved football team on this list. Before anyone accuses me of mutiny or sacrilege, just take a good long look at this guy for a second.

Still not convinced? How about seeing the GOAT in the old-school get-up with that same guy on his helmet, in a snowstorm?

If that’s not the most patriotic thing this country’s seen since Fourth of July fireworks and outdoor summer BBQs, then somewhere George Washington is rolling over in his grave. It’s not that the current logo is bad so much as that the old logo is just really, really cool. It’s a minuteman playing football.

Many Patriots fans already prefer the retro version, so why not bring it back full time? New England already has real historical reenactment volunteers with real 18th century muskets posing as militia in their end zone at home games. Why not have one back on the official logo as well?

...And we can then, finally see the New England Patriots win a Super Bowl...it'll be the fifth and sweetest

@ PatrickMorganLA:

Full disclosure: I’m a die-hard Patriots fan and also a millennial who grew up with what many term the ‘Flying Elvis’ design that currently adorns the helmet sides and uniforms of New England football players. I associate the current logo with four Super Bowl championships over the past 15 years and all the sweet, sweet memories that come attached to those accomplishments and everything else the team has achieved with their modern dynasty under the Bill Belichick/Tom Brady tandem.

So with that in mind, it might be a bit surprising for some Boston fans to find their beloved football team on this list. Before anyone accuses me of mutiny or sacrilege, just take a good long look at this guy for a second.

Still not convinced? How about seeing the GOAT in the old-school get-up with that same guy on his helmet, in a snowstorm?

If that’s not the most patriotic thing this country’s seen since Fourth of July fireworks and outdoor summer BBQs, then somewhere George Washington is rolling over in his grave. It’s not that the current logo is bad so much as that the old logo is just really, really cool. It’s a minuteman playing football.

Many Patriots fans already prefer the retro version, so why not bring it back full time? New England already has real historical reenactment volunteers with real 18th century muskets posing as militia in their end zone at home games. Why not have one back on the official logo as well?

...And we can then, finally see the New England Patriots win a Super Bowl...it'll be the fifth and sweetest
I love the old logo but other than once a year I'm gonna stick with the winner. Winners win losers cry about what coulda woulda shoulda. Just move on buddy they will sooner get another new logo then switch back to the old one.

@ PatrickMorganLA:

I'd be happy just seeing the old throwback unis come back once a year. I don't believe that we've seen them for awhile now.

@ PatrickMorganLA:

We won four Stanley Cups eating Soylent Green, why should we stop? I find it interesting how Morgan refers to "mutiny or sacrilege", you know, like how those who resisted the Nazis in the 30's in favor of real German honor and tradition were labeled "traitors."

And Godwin's Law has just been enacted.

Check out the SB breakdown ----->>>> Logo dispute??? -------->> Nazis ????

I enjoyed the breakdown. Personally I never gave Redman enough credit for his contribution to the last drive but will from now on. The one play that had always stuck in my mind was the TB to TB over the middle catch. It was then that I knew they were in field goal range. Will never forget that day. My brother had convinced me to delay my cross country trip so that I could watch the game at his house. Glad I did.

And Godwin's Law has just been enacted.

Check out the SB breakdown ----->>>> Logo dispute??? -------->> Nazis ????

I enjoyed the breakdown. Personally I never gave Redman enough credit for his contribution to the last drive but will from now on. The one play that had always stuck in my mind was the TB to TB over the middle catch. It was then that I knew they were in field goal range. Will never forget that day. My brother had convinced me to delay my cross country trip so that I could watch the game at his house. Glad I did.[/QUO
They did what they did all season...they focused on football.

That's a Joke, right?

You'd have to be a drooling Idiot to think that it was because of the Tuck Rule.

"The Patriots Dynasty was born because the Refs did their Jobs." OK. :rolleyes:

Anyway: The Raiders owed us one.

^^^^ This.

[Thank you] Funny how, after winning their first SB, Rams ruined THEIR uniforms...but, don't care about other franchises, just Pats. Anyway, here's "Welcome to Super Bowl XXXVI: It's the NFC Champion St. Louis Rams vs. um, is that an arena league team or something?...looks kinda like those silly guys from Memphis here five years ago vs the Packers..."

Thanks for posting this, PWP. I think we're all looking forward to getting back to some good football discussions in the coming weeks.

Thanks for posting this, PWP. I think we're all looking forward to getting back to some good football discussions in the coming weeks.
I get the sneaking suspicion people might welcome an end to my incessant rants about our attire. I will too. It would have been easier if Orthwein, upon insisting on the disastrous, ugly flying elvis, changed the name of the franchise to something correspondingly applicable, say, the "Boston I.C.'s" (for "Inscrutable Constipateds"). Then, it'd be like the Ravens: they now represent Baltimore. NOT the Colts, NOT the Browns. Even St. Bill Parcells preferred Pat Patriot, from his days as an assistant here. But, nobody asked him. Obviously, nobody asked me. In fact, if Orthwein broached the subject to anyone, it probably went down like this:

How **** Happens In the Beginning was The Plan And then came the Assumptions And the Assump...

So, the flying elvis is associated with needlessly losing the best logo in sports, the "Tuck" rule, "Spygate", "Ray Lewis' retirement", "Deflategate", ten titleless years and every time seeing the "Patriots" thinking, "Well, SNL is over, American Gladiators is on, time to turn the TV off."

I prefer to see you wrap your flying elvis, free brady t-shirts and Canadiens-style dumbfanness and stuff it all down Goodell's throat, and watch Brady and the team play the whole season looking like the New England Patriots, all the way to Houston on February 5th.

I get the sneaking suspicion people might welcome an end to my incessant rants about our attire.

No, I didn't mean to suggest that whatsoever. We've had threads about the unis in the past, and I'm sure we will again in the future. I tend to prefer the newer ones for full time use, but I love the throwback Pat Patriot ones, and wish they'd return to using them once/twice a year again.

I was referring to the fact that there hasn't been much football talk recently, as the main two threads have been about Kevin freaking Durant and the Brady/deflategate case. Luckily, we got some better stuff today with roster projections, etc. It will be good to have more content to discuss, that's all.

I get the sneaking suspicion people might welcome an end to my incessant rants about our attire. I will too. It would have been easier if Orthwein, upon insisting on the disastrous, ugly flying elvis, changed the name of the franchise to something correspondingly applicable, say, the "Boston I.C.'s" (for "Inscrutable Constipateds"). Then, it'd be like the Ravens: they now represent Baltimore. NOT the Colts, NOT the Browns. Even St. Bill Parcells preferred Pat Patriot, from his days as an assistant here. But, nobody asked him. Obviously, nobody asked me. In fact, if Orthwein broached the subject to anyone, it probably went down like this:

How **** Happens In the Beginning was The Plan And then came the Assumptions And the Assump...

So, the flying elvis is associated with needlessly losing the best logo in sports, the "Tuck" rule, "Spygate", "Ray Lewis' retirement", "Deflategate", ten titleless years and every time seeing the "Patriots" thinking, "Well, SNL is over, American Gladiators is on, time to turn the TV off."

I prefer to see you wrap your flying elvis, free brady t-shirts and Canadiens-style dumbfanness and stuff it all down Goodell's throat, and watch Brady and the team play the whole season looking like the New England Patriots, all the way to Houston on February 5th.

No, it's just you're spoiling a great thread about the 1st winning super bowl drive.

Start a thread about Pat Patriot, or uniforms.

No, it's just you're spoiling a great thread about the 1st winning super bowl drive.

I think Wiggins' contribution (hanging onto the ball) is underappreciated.

The Brady-Montana comparison seems most appropriate on this drive...it first really cropped up earlier, when they were really struggling vs. the Bolts & old friend Doug Flutie, and suddenly I saw the kid from the Orange Bowl just take over the game himself. The entire landscape of the league shifted that day. As for the aftermath of this drive, it transformed Tom's personal life from relative obscurity to super celebrity, especially among girls, evidently surpassing even Jim Craig's experience, which was frankly very tough for someone who's private and shy, to a great extent. I think he's handled it well. As for the suspension nonsense, it's kind of familiar when thinking of the Drew Henson thing at Michigan...same first name as Bledsoe!!!

FYI, I didn't spoil anything; it was Orthwein.

FYI, I didn't spoil anything; it was Orthwein.

You're new here, so like RC said--no worries. He's simply steering you in the right direction in case you wish to discuss the subject matter any further.

Unfortunately, many of the threads tend to get off-topic for one reason or another (mostly difference of opinions that lead to pissing matches or unproductive back/forths), so it's just an attempt to try and stay on course. At any rate, welcome to the forum! :)

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back