PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh Troll Agrees With Overturning the TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure the game might have been different with Brown in there and Shazier, etc So what? We are missing essentially our entire WR corps by far our best pass rusher and our best tackle. Injuries are part of the game.

Well, if we just narrow it down to the fallen troops who were available heading into the game (AB and Burkhead), the loss of AB was a bigger factor in the game than the loss of Burkhead. Rex is a good RB, but 84 is the best WR in the game and was an MVP candidate.

Nantz favoring the Pats...ever??????????????????? Please...biggest azzole hater outside of Crappingsworth working today...

I never looked at it either at first. I just assumed it was a score and the game was over. It wasn't until Romo said something that I realized it wasn't a TD. It was the correct call based on the modern rules. But if you ask me, it was a catch. The rule will likely be examined because it worked in the Pats favor in a big game. ATL, at least to this point, was unsuccessful in trying to get the OT rule changed.

All the talking head shows on the sports networks will be very interesting in the AM.

No, he's not, with a torn calf. But I get what you're saying. AB isn't the most valuable player on the team, just like Gronk isn't for the Pats. If either team's QB goes down, season over. Ben had a brain fart at the end, but he played well enough to win.

I might be crazy, but I think the AFC is weak enough that the Pats could make it to the AFCG even if Brady went down and maybe even beat the Steelers. Jacksonville is the team that scares me, not Pittsburgh. Hoyer is not as bad as people think he is. He had a very good six game stretch in Cleveland before he was injured and before they wasted that pick on Johnny M. And he knows the system.

Well, if we just narrow it down to the fallen troops who were available heading into the game (AB and Burkhead), the loss of AB was a bigger factor in the game than the loss of Burkhead. Rex is a good RB, but 84 is the best WR in the game and was an MVP candidate.

Neat claim. Prove it. You cannot possibly demonstrate that to be the case. Maybe he would have made a difference in the outcome of the game, maybe he wouldn't have. For all you know, he could have a huge, game changing turnover. We don't know. My point is, it is ridiculous to use injuries as an excuse for losing. Brown's injury didn't force Ben to throw a stupid, reckless pick in chip shot FG range.

The Patriots were horrible and they still won. Instead of considering it to be a moral victory, that should concern you. What do you think the odds are that the Pats play that poorly in a playoff rematch? Assuming that both teams even make it that far.

I've been hearing from all my Steeler fan friends.

The fix is in. The NFL wants the Pats to win the SB again.

Seriously, the NFL wants the Pats to win? No, they hate us.

Told them all to F off.
Well there were plenty of people in this forum who, 8 months ago, were convinced in the conspiracy theory that the NFL was moving instant replay to a centralized location in order to give the league office every opportunity to screw over the Patriots in any way imaginable.

Now we have a 2nd instance of an opponent TD being overturned by instant replay. While each call was correct, no one would have batted an eyelash had they not been overturned.

the only thing ill say is it looked like he had possession with one knee down, and then dove for the end zone, which in my mind is "making a football play"
The "making a football move" rule is not applicable when a player is going to the ground in the process of making a catch.

Apparently now it's controversial. It's a stupid rule that should be change in the offseason if you don't want "controversy"
There is no way whatsoever to change the rule that will satisfy all the people all the time. There will ALWAYS be disagreement on what constitutes a catch no matter how the rule is phrased.

Apparently now it's controversial. It's a stupid rule that should be change in the offseason if you don't want "controversy"

It's controversial because sports media is built on furthering or just generating controversy. What good is sports media if they say "here's the rule, here's why the call was correct". Just no clicks from the masses needing amusement...

I don't wish anyone an injury, but if they happen, my team benefits and it's not life at greatening, I'm not heading to the novena kneel down.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

the only thing ill say is it looked like he had possession with one knee down, and then dove for the end zone, which in my mind is "making a football play"

i understand the outrage, but im happy we finally caught a break .

IMHO that was the only thing that was in question. Was the lunge a full enough 'football move' to establish possession? And the answer is no and the officials have actually been relatively consistent on this point. If you are falling to the ground when catching the ball then you are expected to complete the process of hitting the ground and keeping the ball in control (the knee changes nothing). Even if you catch the ball not falling the officials have been pretty consistent to call it a non catch unless your catch/control, then steps forward for the 'football move' to be completed is clear and takes up notably better than a tick of the clock. Again that's the way they call it relatively consistently, so that I'd assume is how the NFL/comp. committee wants it called, and that's how it is.
The receiver is at fault for allowing that to happen. If the receiver is whining about the refs instead of saying I needed to keep the ball in control then he's decided to be a punk. Even if it was a controversial decision (it wasn't from a rule stand point), all the receiver has to do is take better care to secure the ball (receiver 101: no matter what else is happening or what else you are trying to do with the ball, make absolutely sure you have secured the catch).

Thanks, Grid. I had no idea and now his response makes all the sense in the world. LOL

My pleasure, Bro. Just about all'f us did a double-take when we first read his recent threads. I had to research'm to unearth his nefarious true nature.
Insane.gif

IMHO that was the only thing that was in question. Was the lunge a full enough 'football move' to establish possession? And the answer is no and the officials have actually been relatively consistent on this point. If you are falling to the ground when catching the ball then you are expected to complete the process of hitting the ground and keeping the ball in control (the knee changes nothing). Even if you catch the ball not falling the officials have been pretty consistent to call it a non catch unless your catch/control, then steps forward for the 'football move' to be completed is clear and takes up notably better than a tick of the clock. Again that's the way they call it relatively consistently, so that I'd assume is how the NFL/comp. committee wants it called, and that's how it is.
The receiver is at fault for allowing that to happen. If the receiver is whining about the refs instead of saying I needed to keep the ball in control then he's decided to be a punk. Even if it was a controversial decision (it wasn't from a rule stand point), all the receiver has to do is take better care to secure the ball (receiver 101: no matter what else is happening or what else you are trying to do with the ball, make absolutely sure you have secured the catch).

The more I ponder on it, and after seeing the replay about 100 times now, I think I've changed my position. Was it the right call? Probably. But the call on the field was TD. Was there undisputable evidence that the meat of the ball hit the ground? I say no. Yes, the ball moved, but it's allowed to if general possession is secured. James' right hand was underneath the ball the whole time. I've seen no angle where we can see that his hand was not underneath the ball the entire time. They didn't have grounds to overturn the original call.

Eh well, it's all spilled milk now.

Ball moved and it is clear that his right hand isn't under the ball. The guy's left hand ends up being on top of the ball. Clearly not a catch, as he was falling while trying to catch the ball. If he had rolled onto his back instead, he would have had a catch and probably a touchdown as well. Live and learn Jessie James, live and learn.

Wow, a lot of bold and condescending talk, after the narrowest of wins, from Pats fans who were trashing their own team all game long. (Yes, I followed the game thread.) To suggest the game wouldn't have been different with Brown in there is burying heads in the sand. Ben outplayed Brady until the last play. We'll see what happens in January.
OR you can look at it from another direction, GK.

Even though the Steelers were playing at home with an emotional crowd behind them. Even though Ben had his BEST game by far vs the Pats if not his entire career (as far as accuracy, field management, and moving the chains go) Even the pick was on the money. It was just that Rowe got his hand on it. Even though the Steelers went into this game with their best offensive and defensive game plans in recent memory, IMHO. Even though Brady was not particularly sharp (for his standards), and the Pats didn't execute as well as the the Steelers did for most of the game. Even though the Steelers had a huge advantage in time of possession. Even though the Pats were short our leading tackler and best run defender, not to mention we lost OUR best defensive player back in week 5. Even after ALL that, the Steelers were never able to get more than one score ahead of the beleaguered Pats.

That should tell you something beyond the fact the Pats were lucky to get out of P-town with a win. You guys where playing sub standard opponents that you managed to beat by the skin of your teeth for a month now. You had your share of good bounces, luck and calls during THOSE games. THIS time the pendulum finally shifted the other way, and the Pats got the win. That's the way it goes.

I wouldn't make too much of ANY individual game. BB has taught us that each game is its own individual entity that neither takes from the the past or is predictable from the future. There are a lot of Pats fans who think that because we've done so well in the past against Pittsburgh we "own" them. Fortunately BB doesn't think follow that line of thinking.

So when/if we meet again, there will likely be some changes to the cast of characters on both sides. The game plans will be different in various degrees, the officials will be different, the weather will be different, and the result COULD be different. It will all depend on who plays the best and "makes the most big plays", and/or gets the lucky bounces or calls.

BTW- when your friends start the "refs are out to get us" crap, you might want to point out this. Just saw a screen shot of the TD to Rogers. There was a OLman at least 3 yds down field on the this play. Ask your friends, why was the flag picked up??????? I know there are a lot of Pats fans who are conspiracy theorists who would like to know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes