PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phase One Of QB Search Is Over; On to Phase Two

cam lumbers.. those 12 tds could have been from a RB

Clearly you dont fully get the numerical advantage you gain when your QB is an actual running threat and how it is especially difficult to stop in short yardage situations.

So while some of the TDs could have been done by RBs it would have been at a lower probability with a significantly higher risk of failure. As we have seen a year ago when we were absolute dogshit on 3rd and short.

Cam was a legit weapon with his legs last year on third down no matter how you try to twist it.

Clearly you dont fully get the numerical advantage you gain when your QB is an actual running threat and how it is especially difficult to stop in short yardage situations.

So while some of the TDs could have been done by RBs it would have been at a lower probability with a significantly higher risk of failure. As we have seen a year ago when we were absolute dogshit on 3rd and short.

Cam was a legit weapon with his legs last year on third down no matter how you try to twist it.
he sucked...dude can't throw

at least he can throw..Cam is just plain bad as a thrower. Why sign one of the best after the catch TEs and have Cam not be able to hit the guy in stride? Cam better not be the starter..he sucked last year.. One of the worst QBs in the league.
I'm not sure. Didn't Edelman put up his biggest games as a Patriot with Cam?

And no I'm not saying Cam is better or any where near as good as Brady.

Accuracy and timing is as much on the pass catchers as it is on the QB.

If everything was Cam's fault then why did Bill just spend a ton of cash on replacing Wr 1, 2, and TE, 1 and 2?

Would it be great if the Pats could have gotten Russ, Watson, Rogers, or Matt Stafford. Absolutely, but those weren't realistic options.

Cam is the best of a bad option. He can be good enough to win an MVP when he is at his very best. No I don't see him reaching that level again, but that is 10x better than Mariota has ever done and 100x better than Suckbisky.

If everything was Cam's fault then why did Bill just spend a ton of cash on replacing Wr 1, 2, and TE, 1 and 2?

Would it be great if the Pats could have gotten Russ, Watson, Rogers, or Matt Stafford. Absolutely, but those weren't realistic options.

Cam is the best of a bad option. He can be good enough to win an MVP when he is at his very best. No I don't see him reaching that level again, but that is 10x better than Mariota has ever done and 100x better than Suckbisky.
you weren't paying attention last year. Cam was beyond bad. It hurt watching him try to throw

I see it the other way around. Last year showed BB and McD how much more unpredictable and successful they can be when they are not being held back by having to build an offense around a pure pocket passer.

Cam was pretty successful with his legs creating over 50 first downs and scoring 12 TDs. And they did that when most teams played to stop it.

There is a big inherent advantage to mobility that regularly gets ignored here.
It was the most predictable least successful offense they have ever had.

Edelman going off against a terrible defense doesn’t = the QBs is good.

[/QUOTE]
EVERYTHING is never anyone’s fault but the qb play was not at NFL caliber. Not even close.

Cam is the best of a bad option.
no he is the worst option.

He can be good enough to win an MVP when he is at his very best. No I don't see him reaching that level again, but that is 10x better than Mariota has ever done and 100x better than Suckbisky.
what he was in the last and us no longer doesn’t matter.

Edelman going off against a terrible defense doesn’t = the QBs is good.
EVERYTHING is never anyone’s fault but the qb play was not at NFL caliber. Not even close.

[/QUOTE]
If Cam is the worse option then why did Bill sign him?

I'll trust one of the greatest minds in the history of football over yours every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If Cam is the worse option then why did Bill sign him?[/quote]
good question hopefully to be the backup

I'll trust one of the greatest minds in the history of football over yours every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
So he is infallible?
Let’s see how this shakes out because pinning belichicks intellect on newton will look pretty dumb when Newton is sitting on the bench.

If Cam is the worse option then why did Bill sign him?

So he is infallible?
Let’s see how this shakes out because pinning belichicks intellect on newton will look pretty dumb when Newton is sitting on the bench.
[/QUOTE]
Newton might be on the bench, but all current evidence is contrary to that.

At the very least Cam would be a great Redzone threat.

So he is infallible?
Newton might be on the bench, but all current evidence is contrary to that.

At the very least Cam would be a great Redzone threat.
It’s March.
He’s a terrible red zone qb because he can’t throw. Rbs can run it in from the 1.
We were 24th in the red zone last year.

It’s March.
He’s a terrible red zone qb because he can’t throw. Rbs can run it in from the 1.
We were 24th in the red zone last year.
Cam ability to run should HELP. I believe that having actual receiving targets will help. At least, Cam will have the two TE's and White. Josh should be able to do better than in 2020.

I also want any upgrade over Cam, but I don't think it necessary to suggest that we won't be a much better team even with Cam, especially in the red zone.

Cam ability to run should HELP. I believe that having actual receiving targets will help. At least, Cam will have the two TE's and White. Josh should be able to do better than in 2020.

I also want any upgrade over Cam, but I don't think it necessary to suggest that we won't be a much better team even with Cam, especially in the red zone.
His running ability is a plus but his passing ability is a much bigger negative. His weaknesses, slow and poor decision making, awareness and accuracy are amplified in the red zone.
He was 19/36 for only 5 TDs and 7 first downs (td counts as FD so that’s 36 attempts resulted in 5 TDs and 2 other first downs. FYI he ran 42 times and passed 36 in the RZ and his runs averaged 2.2yards.

Listen, the Pats never do what is expected, and honestly, what they SHOULD do. Should they draft a QB THIS YEAR ? Absolutely. Will they ? Who the hell knows ? The only pro day Belichick went to, doesn't even have a draftable QB. So I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't draft a QB.

I don't buy the 49ers bluffs, I would be shocked if Jimmy is still a 9er by draft time as the best suiter is NE.
I do. They can easily afford Jimmy at his current contract with no more guaranteed money due. Whoever they take at 3 won't be ready to start right away. When Shanny traded for Jimmy who was a 3 1/2 year vet he sat him for several games until Bethard got hurt forcing him to play Jimmy the final 5 games.

Last edited:
There are 5 rated 1st round caliber QB’s in this draft,

There are five QB's who will go in the first round in this draft, because of need and the usual hype. But from reading BCG and others who study players over many years and in depth, there are actually only one, two, or at the most, three, first round caliber QB's.

There are five QB's who will go in the first round in this draft, because of need and the usual hype. But from reading BCG and others who study players over many years and in depth, there are actually only one, two, or at the most, three, first round caliber QB's.
This seems to be the issue this year. There is a lot of need for Qb's. Using the above criteria the 49ers have paid a huge price to draft a qb that might not even be rated a 1st rounder?

@BaconGrundleCandy
Do you agree with this comment?

I’m simply going by the mocks, and almost all include Jones in the first round. Whether or not they are going to be good pro’s is anyone’s guess, as we have seen over many years, there are plenty of busts even with those who go in the top 5.

I have no issue with BGC’s ratings, he does the work and he knows what he’s talking about.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back