Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the link:

NFL lays out several proposals to change playing rules in 2017

Here are all the proposed changes that I don't think are 100% certain to suck:

Make permanent the rule moving touchbacks to the 25-yard line, which was passed on a temporary basis last year.

Standardize the starting of the clock when the runner goes out of bounds outside two minutes remaining in the first half and outside five minutes remaining in the second half.

The rest of them seem to be absolutely terrible ideas, IMO, but some of you make like them.

"Allow the referee to make replay announcements during commercial breaks, rather than waiting for the TV broadcast."

Obviously instituted to eliminate televising the avalanche of Boooos when the league office blows the replay call, shafting the home team.

"Allow the referee to make replay announcements during commercial breaks, rather than waiting for the TV broadcast."

Obviously instituted to eliminate televising the avalanche of Boooos when the league office blows the replay call, shafting the home team.

It will also leave the home audience momentarily in the dark about what the hell's going on.

For the record, here's the complete list:

— Outlaw jumping over the line to block an extra point or field goal.

— Make permanent the rule moving touchbacks to the 25-yard line, which was passed on a temporary basis last year.

— Make permanent the automatic ejection rule for two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, which was passed on a temporary basis last year.

— Expand defenseless player protection to include receivers running routes, when they’re tracking the quarterback or looking back for the ball, even within five yards of the line of scrimmage.

— Give the league office final say over replay decisions, with input from the referee.

— Eliminate sideline replay monitoring, with a tablet being handed to the referee on the field to review replays in consultation with the league office.

— Standardize the starting of the clock when the runner goes out of bounds outside two minutes remaining in the first half and outside five minutes remaining in the second half.

— Allow the referee to make replay announcements during commercial breaks, rather than waiting for the TV broadcast.

— Institute a 40-second clock after extra points when going to a kickoff if there is not a commercial break.

— Standardize the halftime length to 13 minutes and 30 seconds, rather than allowing the referee to give teams additional time to get in and out of the locker rooms.

Now this is more like it:

A major change could be coming to instant replay in the NFL.

A proposal allowing challenges to every officiating decision will be brought forward jointly by the Bills and Seahawks at next week’s league meeting. If the owners vote in favor of the new rule, all penalties — from holding to pass interference, facemasking to false start — could be challenged.

NFL will consider allowing coaches to challenge all penalties

What is this standardize of clock running about? How is that different than now?

— Standardize the starting of the clock when the runner goes out of bounds outside two minutes remaining in the first half and outside five minutes remaining in the second half.
I don't understand this one. They already have the rule where the clock stops when the runner goes out of bounds, then restarts when the ball is set (outside two minutes remaining in the first half and outside five minutes remaining in the second half). What is there to standardize?
— Institute a 40-second clock after extra points when going to a kickoff if there is not a commercial break.
I don't get this one either. They already have the 25 second clock for kickoffs, which starts when each team is ready. What are they going to do? Run the 40 second clock after Extra Points immediately at the conclusion of those plays? That'll be a funny scramble for each team to get their personnel on the field!

I don't get this one either. They already have the 25 second clock for kickoffs, which starts when each team is ready. What are they going to do? Run the 40 second clock after Extra Points immediately at the conclusion of those plays? That'll be a funny scramble for each team to get their personnel on the field!

What is the point of this proposed rule change?

The game stops to run three minutes worth of commercials every time this happens.

I think review of penalties will happen eventually but not this year, which is a shame.

I have a recommendation that will help the league, fans, players and owners. Fire Roger Goodell and then deport him to Syria

What is the point of this proposed rule change?

The game stops to run three minutes worth of commercials every time this happens.
Not within the last 2 minutes of the half it doesn't.

Proposed Rule Change Would Allow Patriots To Wear Throwback Uniforms Again

I like the fact that the Patriots could wear their Iconic Pat Patriot outfit as their Third..

What I don't understand is this one:

15. By Competition Committee; Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

Wouldn't that make running out of bounds and spiking the ball to stop the clock illegal???

For the record, here's the complete list:

— Outlaw jumping over the line to block an extra point or field goal, if your team name has "new", "england" or "patriots" in it; not applicable if you have "york" in it.

— Institute a 40-second clock after extra points when going to a kickoff if there is not a commercial break, while playing the Benny Hill Theme.

fixed.

Well, halftimes just got longer.

As the NFL looks to tighten the belt regarding the amount of time it takes to play a game, the league will be adopting a one-size-fits-all approach to halftime.

The duration of intermission will expand from 12 minutes to 13 minutes and 30 seconds....

All halftimes will be 13 minutes, 30 seconds

Last edited:
What I don't understand is this one:

15. By Competition Committee; Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

Wouldn't that make running out of bounds and spiking the ball to stop the clock illegal???

Some owners must have their panties in a wad because THEIR HCs can't effectively manage the clock.
Yet another attempt to level the playing field by outlawing excellence.
Ambiguity reigns.

They will actually be shorter if they hold to their promise to start the clock immediately upon the conclusion of the first half and have everyone lined up for the 2nd half kickoff by 00:00. Right now, the "12 minutes" doesn't start until a couple minutes have already passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back