PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Bill "has shopped" Mac

If all of this is true, then things are coming to a cross roads. It doesn’t line up for a promising season if Mac stays under these conditions. It’s another screw up to have this stuff get leaked and to not have pulled the trigger on a trade.

I’m not surprised teams won’t offer much for Mac which is something Bill should have realized. The trust is further deteriorated. And even if these reports are not true, it plants the seed regardless.

Putting my Nostradamus hat on...Lamar is coming. Gonna sit on this until I hear otherwise. Wouldn't be shocked if they don't find a way to draft Hooker to boot.

Win some games, get in the playoffs. Never win a SB. That's what Lamar brings. Fun to watch though....
The Ravens will match anything that the patriots are willing to offer. They are letting Lamar negotiate his contract with another team. before signing him to a LT contract.

This was supposed to be a boring offseason where the biggest change was getting a real OC and adding some special teamers. Now we got rumors of interest in trading Mac, which opens up a whole nother can of rumors that will link Lamar, Rodgers (Lily included), Levis, and every available QB on earth to the Pats. This is all taking a wild, wild turn.

If all of this is true, then things are coming to a cross roads. It doesn’t line up for a promising season if Mac stays under these conditions. It’s another screw up to have this stuff get leaked and to not have pulled the trigger on a trade.
Guessing that it's being worked on and we typically would not have heard about it until a deal was completed, but someone leaked it. Not sure who, or what their motives are. I have a hunch that the leak comes from Mac's agent...

d
Guessing that it's being worked on and we typically would not have heard about it until a deal was completed, but someone leaked it. Not sure who, or what their motives are. I have a hunch that the leak comes from Mac's agent...
So Patriots are forced to take the compensation that is offered so Mac can go to that specific team.

Thinking Tampa Bay?

d

So Patriots are forced to take the compensation that is offered so Mac can go to that specific team.

Thinking Tampa Bay?
If my hunch is correct, it'd be Mac and his agent wanting to just part ways with NE. They thought a trade would've happened by now, but NE is still sitting on his rights waiting for a better deal. Impatient, Mac and his agent leak this info out there to put the Patriots in a more compromised negotiating position - the Patriots can't so easily say "pay what we're looking for or we'll just keep him" now that this story's out there.

The article literally says "One source said New England hasn't received an offer for the former Alabama QB that would be worth considering."
Looks like he's referencing/quoting Florio in that part to me.

Looks like he's referencing/quoting Florio in that part to me.
Florio's article doesn't say anything about the value of the offers received.

If bill trades Mac getting a third or fourth rounder in compensation , bill ought to be fired . This is coming from a IBBWT guy till 2022 mid season.

Mac was put in a position of failure and what do you expect when you have abundance of incompetence in judge and Patricia . Again go and ask them for advice. It like asking for fashion advice from the emperor with no clothes.

This off season has been irritating. I hope Mac is not traded . There is still a chance for us to see what Mac can do . If bill is so sure and wants to trade for lamar to get to shula's record. We might as well trade bill and Mac together, tank this season for Caleb next year . Better than having lamar suck us out of contention for next 6 years .

Sorry for the rant . Really irritated with this news.

Same deal with Mac...we gotta squeeze everything outta the tube there....we have to find out if he can be an elite QB in this league or not.....

I feel where you are coming from as far as maximizing value out of an asset. But BB has clearly shown in the past that once he's 'done with you' he really doesn't try to maximize compensation as much as get rid of the player he doesn't want there.

In 2003 BB released pro bowl safety Lawyer Milloy after he refused to take a paycut.

In 2006 BB traded away Deion Branch to Seattle.

In 2009 BB traded multiple pro-bowl DL Richard Seymour to the Raiders.

More recent trade history:

2014 BB traded former all-pro Logan Mankins to Tampa Bay for a 4th round pick.

2016 BB traded pro bowl DE Chandler Jones for a 2nd round pick.

2017 BB trades QB Jimmy Garappolo for a 2nd round pick.

2022 BB trades Shaq Mason for a 5th round pick.

2023 BB trades Mac Jones for ?? pick.

BB is a ruthless trader. Sometimes he got good value for his trade, sometimes he didn't get as much as you would hope.

But it's clear, once he's 'done with a player' he will get rid of him.

The article literally says "One source said New England hasn't received an offer for the former Alabama QB that would be worth considering."
Which strictly speaking would be accurate if they had no talks at all lmao

The Ravens will match anything that the patriots are willing to offer. They are letting Lamar negotiate his contract with another team. before signing him to a LT contract.

That's the camp I find myself in... for now anyway

Florio's article doesn't say anything about the value of the offers received.

Which could be used to interpret they aren't liking what they are getting or Mac would be gone. The media can parse with the best of them, so can supposed sources. Just saying

Would you trade Mac for Lance?
Absolutely not. Mac has proven a whole lot more in this league. Lance can’t stay on the field, and has hardly any experience. He has a lot of upside, but wouldn’t be worth it. They’d have to throw more in there for me to make that move.

2023 BB trades Mac Jones for ?? pick.

BB is a ruthless trader. Sometimes he got good value for his trade, sometimes he didn't get as much as you would hope.

But it's clear, once he's 'done with a player' he will get rid of him.
Mac is not going to be traded this year. In fact, he will be your starting QB come September.

If my hunch is correct, it'd be Mac and his agent wanting to just part ways with NE. They thought a trade would've happened by now, but NE is still sitting on his rights waiting for a better deal. Impatient, Mac and his agent leak this info out there to put the Patriots in a more compromised negotiating position - the Patriots can't so easily say "pay what we're looking for or we'll just keep him" now that this story's out there.

i thought Mac was thrilled to have BOB as his coordinator?

Mac is not going to be traded this year. In fact, he will be your starting QB come September.
I agree with this, the alternative seems hard to really fathom. If Jones has pissed off BB beyond any chance of repair, I think Kraft may have something to say in the matter. He already has indicated he holds BB responsible for Jones’ struggles last year. BB can be ruthless, but Kraft did not make it in life by being a wallflower either. Someone is playing a dangerous game in this whole mess - just not sure who. But Kraft owns the team, and BB may be about to relearn that.

Trade Mac to who and for what? As part of a package to land Lamar Jackson then go for it. I don't know, who wants him based on what he's shown the league so far. Maybe one of the AFC or NFC South teams... Titans, Colts, Bucs. Mac isn't going to rejuvenate a franchise.

After you trade Mac, unless you're getting another starting QB in return, then I suppose you're going with Zappe. There are no FA QBs left worth anything at all... unless they persuade Brady to come back for a season or two.
I just read every post in this thread to see if anyone came up with a package for Lamar Jackson. Nobody did. Jackson is threatening not to play this year and Stephen A Smith says the situation is unrepairable. Trades aren't of any value unless they "hurt" both sides. The only qb currently on the Ravens roster is Anthony Brown (with Tyler Huntley as a restricted FA). So, Lamar Jackson for Mac Jones and pick number 14 (that would give them 14 and 22) - but I said trades have to hurt - so add in Matthew Judon (ouch). And maybe the Ravens would go for it. With Lamar our running game will be the best in the NFL. The play of the offensive line will improve with Lamar running around and because of the extra time with his running around the TEs and WR will have more time to free themselves - especially JuJu / Thornton / and Gesicki. Then the games will become outscore the opponent rather than hold em to under 24 points cuz the defense will weaken.

I just read every post in this thread to see if anyone came up with a package for Lamar Jackson. Nobody did. Jackson is threatening not to play this year and Stephen A Smith says the situation is unrepairable. Trades aren't of any value unless they "hurt" both sides. The only qb currently on the Ravens roster is Anthony Brown (with Tyler Huntley as a restricted FA). So, Lamar Jackson for Mac Jones and pick number 14 (that would give them 14 and 22) - but I said trades have to hurt - so add in Matthew Judon (ouch). And maybe the Ravens would go for it. With Lamar our running game will be the best in the NFL. The play of the offensive line will improve with Lamar running around and because of the extra time with his running around the TEs and WR will have more time to free themselves - especially JuJu / Thornton / and Gesicki. Then the games will become outscore the opponent rather than hold em to under 24 points cuz the defense will weaken.
Lamar needed jumbo sized TEs or linemen to create running lane. We do not have that. For all we know he could be sacked 3x or 4x here .

Not a fan of lamar .

This seems pretty far-fetched. Aside from being a Zappe guy and wanting it to be true, what are you basing your hunch on?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back