PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Belichick sees Dramatic Improvement in Mac

Yeah Ross,. hoping we can lock Mac up for a long time!! Brady was never all about the money because his wife Giselle, makes more than any him or any other player in the league. As a family they are all set. But like you said, not sure if a lot of players are going to be willing to give that kind of money up, especially if their "significant other" isn't bringing home significant income.
Brady also leveraged that into winning Super Bowls, which made him a household name, and propelled him into lucrative endorsements and helped his brand. I get what you’re saying, though. Hopefully Mac will do the same. A QB playing at a high level and taking less money is a lethal advantage. But, chances are he won’t. Welcome to life for the other 31.

Brady also leveraged that into winning Super Bowls, which made him a household name, and propelled him into lucrative endorsements and helped his brand. I get what you’re saying, though. Hopefully Mac will do the same. A QB playing at a high level and taking less money is a lethal advantage. But, chances are he won’t. Welcome to life for the other 31.
And we shouldn't fault him for it either. Players should get their money when they can. Brady is a anomaly

And we shouldn't fault him for it either. Players should get their money when they can. Brady is a anomaly
People forget, but Brady had a lot of contracts. Many gave hometown discounts, some made him the highest-paid QB at that moment.

What I remember is that Brady got his first post-rookie contract a year early and gave up some money for the security. That was the start of the idea that he ALWAYS took a hometown discount.

At this point the D concerns me greatly. Could be some wild shootouts.
Haven't there been plenty of years that we've been concerned about the D and it's ended up being a top 10 unit except for 2 years out of 21. I think the D will be just fine. I'm more concerned with Mac and the offense being able to beat man coverage this year. Based on the numbers he was eating zone up, but struggled more against man. Hopefully with the streamlining of the offense, we can get more two tight end sets and get the ball to Smith in space. Also, Thornton is able to add some speed.

Haven't there been plenty of years that we've been concerned about the D and it's ended up being a top 10 unit except for 2 years out of 21. I think the D will be just fine. I'm more concerned with Mac and the offense being able to beat man coverage this year. Based on the numbers he was eating zone up, but struggled more against man. Hopefully with the streamlining of the offense, we can get more two tight end sets and get the ball to Smith in space. Also, Thornton is able to add some speed.

I've seen film of Mac making tight throws against man coverage...it's not as if he doesn't have the ability to play against man.

In Barmore and Judon I see a couple of playmakers on the line and Duggar Phillips in the secondary. That's enough to be competitive but as a unit they have a lot of questions vs upper-tier offenses just like last year.

Offensively they'll score 26-30 a game. They'll be fine but I do agree beating man coverage is a question.

@ashley1992 what did you find confusing about this post? I can explain it differently and maybe you’ll get “un-confused.”

Gotta love the holes in Belichick's pullover LOL...

I have no problem with players who pursue as much money as possible, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want them on my team. Sometimes signing such players to such contracts works more to a team's detriment than advantage.

I have no problem with players who pursue as much money as possible, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want them on my team. Sometimes signing such players to such contracts works more to a team's detriment than advantage.

I go back and forth on it, because I can absolutely see why a player should get whatever they can get. They have no moral obligation to look out for anyone else (financially) other than themselves. And if the options were: Kyler Murray gets $50m, or Kyler Murray gets $30m and the other 20 goes to the owner, I would choose Kyler 11 times out of 10.

But teams typically spend very close to the cap. So if Kyler made $20m less, chances are that team is spreading that out to the middle class on their roster. So Kyler (I don't mean to keep picking on him, he's just the latest megadeal to be signed) should absolutely make whatever someone is willing to pay him, but I often think it would be more impactful and meaningful to more guys to get a little more instead. A low-to-mid level guy getting $2m instead of $1m is potentially more life changing than the top guy getting $50m instead of $30m. But hey, that's how a market works I suppose.

I agree. I'm bullish on Mac's future. FWIW I had him just on the outside of this group.

Mahomes
AR
Tom
Hebert
Prescott
Allen
Stafford
Wilson
Murray
Burrow
Carr

He has the potential to pass Carr and Murray next year. Might need one more to pass a couple of others.
Looks right.

Jones has a long road ahead to be at 5 or 6. Last season Allen threw 36 TDs, rushed for 750 yards and 6 TDs and took his team down to the wire in KC post season.

According to this video they had one of the highest scoring rates in the NFL when they didn’t make a mistake… the offensive line and weapons made too many mistakes.

False starts, missed blocking assignments, fumbles, penalties… there were way too many. And while this doesn’t necessarily need repeating… Mac was a rookie starting QB.

If they can play more mistake free, better executed football I assume they can do a lot better than 6th most points scored. It will be up to the defense at that point to carry their side of the couch.

Despite all the errors and memories of Mac taking hard hits, especially early in the season, some surprising stats include the offense being ranked 3rd in the league in fewest sacks and 9th in sack percentage which is probably more accurate a measure. They had the 5th best completion percentage and 7th best yards per completion.

There’s a lot to build upon with Mac in year two. Raise his TD percentage, faster WR’s will probably help that, and lower his INT percentage, a lot of those weren’t his fault as much as they were a product of not being on the same page as his weapons… experience. Same with many false start penalties by the OLine, how many of those were an unfamiliarity with Mac’s cadence or his lack of command?

I think if they can stay healthy and block well this will be a very explosive offense… in fact I don‘t see how it won’t be if those things happen.
The had one of the highest scoring rates period.
6th most points. 2nd highest % of drives scoring on.
6th most points per drive.

I go back and forth on it, because I can absolutely see why a player should get whatever they can get. They have no moral obligation to look out for anyone else (financially) other than themselves. And if the options were: Kyler Murray gets $50m, or Kyler Murray gets $30m and the other 20 goes to the owner, I would choose Kyler 11 times out of 10.

But teams typically spend very close to the cap. So if Kyler made $20m less, chances are that team is spreading that out to the middle class on their roster. So Kyler (I don't mean to keep picking on him, he's just the latest megadeal to be signed) should absolutely make whatever someone is willing to pay him, but I often think it would be more impactful and meaningful to more guys to get a little more instead. A low-to-mid level guy getting $2m instead of $1m is potentially more life changing than the top guy getting $50m instead of $30m. But hey, that's how a market works I suppose.
I think "normal people" sometimes choose to take less money, too. It's not that crazy of an idea.

At this point the D concerns me greatly. Could be some wild shootouts.
The big question is. "Will Bill Belichick bench Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl again?"

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back