PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFF: Trey Flowers And Darryl Roberts Named as Two Of The Biggest Steals In The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Just came across this. I knew PFF liked our draft last year but it's nice to see the potential value BB got in May with Flowers ranked as the 2nd biggest steal and Roberts as the 4th.

That would be one thing if the numbers came in a weaker conference, but Flowers was facing the top tackles in the SEC week in and week out, many of who were drafted or will be drafted, and still put up silly numbers.

We thought he (Darryl Roberts) could go as early as the second round given his abilities. Roberts may not be the most talented player on this list, but to nab him in the seventh round is absurd.

I am increasingly hopeful that this draft class could be one that could produce 5-7 long-term depth players or starters. I was a little disappointed by it at first but it could be one of those draft classes we talk about in five years because it could produce so much effective depth and starters. I'm not convinced there's a star yet but I'll take the depth.

As an aside (and I'm blatantly tooting my own horn here), three on the list (Grady Jarrett, TJ Clemmings and Jacorey Shepherd) were binkies of mine. I'd have taken Clemmings and Jarrett in the first round and Shepherd in the 2nd to 3rd.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/07/10-biggest-draft-steals/

Just came across this. I knew PFF liked our draft last year but it's nice to see the potential value BB got in May with Flowers ranked as the 2nd biggest steal and Roberts as the 4th.

I am increasingly hopeful that this draft class could be one that could produce 5-7 long-term depth players or starters. I was a little disappointed by it at first but it could be one of those draft classes we talk about in five years because it could produce so much effective depth and starters. I'm not convinced there's a star yet but I'll take the depth.

As an aside (and I'm blatantly tooting my own horn here), three on the list (Grady Jarrett, TJ Clemmings and Jacorey Shepherd) were binkies of mine. I'd have taken Clemmings and Jarrett in the first round and Shepherd in the 2nd to 3rd.

That's what I think would make a great article. How did Swag drop to the 7th. I know his coach was incredulous that a dude who went man one on one in Div 1 went that late. His measurables are up there with the top guys so I'd be real interested to see if any scouts could give their take on it.

That's what I think would make a great article. How did Swag drop to the 7th. I know his coach was incredulous that a dude who went man one on one in Div 1 went that late. His measurables are up there with the top guys so I'd be real interested to see if any scouts could give their take on it.

I think there are two issues, at least for me - I liked him but never graded him that high and always considered him a day three guy:

1. I felt he was a tad undersized and when I watched him, I just felt he looked a little thin. My concern was how he'd stack up as a tackler in the NFL.
  2. He was going up against receivers from the likes of Middle Tennessee, Rhode Island and Old Dominion. Again, there's a bit of a projection issue there. Could he stand up to the more NFL type WR blooded in the Power 5 conferences.

Interesting. It's actually kind of shocking when anyone's Vision is similar to mine: Of the Patriots's Picks, I thought that they got exactly 3 Steals, and those guys were two'f'm, Mason being the 3rd.

Last edited:
I think they need to play a few downs before they are given any grades, perhaps a whole season..

I disagree.

I believe that one of the greatest Pleasures of being a Fan ~ and our most Inalienable Right ~ is to flap one's gums about one's misguided, ignorant Opinions. Assessing Grades seems to strike some as arrogant ~ and in many cases it surely is ~ but Grades are simply the mathematical manifestation of one's Opinions.

I think they need to play a few downs before they are given any grades, perhaps a whole season..

They're not grading their effectiveness in the NFL, just the relationship between where they should have been drafted to where they were. They don't need any snaps for that.

Agree, and then by a reputable source.

Agreed this is the same source that said that Brady was the problem with the Pats offense weeks 1-4 last season, and that he was done. They also were of the opinion that Cam Newton played better than Flacco and Brady I the divisional round.

Initial returns on Flowers and Roberts have been promising, but I wouldn't be encouraged about them based on anything PFF says.

I think there are two issues, at least for me - I liked him but never graded him that high and always considered him a day three guy:

1. I felt he was a tad undersized and when I watched him, I just felt he looked a little thin. My concern was how he'd stack up as a tackler in the NFL.
  2. He was going up against receivers from the likes of Middle Tennessee, Rhode Island and Old Dominion. Again, there's a bit of a projection issue there. Could he stand up to the more NFL type WR blooded in the Power 5 conferences.
You are accurate in both your assessments. However...

He is lanky but strong. His bench press and squat numbers were very good.

Yea the lack of elite competition is a concern. IMO that was the #1 reason why he dropped so low. If he is in the SEC, or PAC10 or Big11 or whatever he is chosen much sooner.

too bad we won't get to see them play tonight ..... they're both dealing with injuries

I disagree.

I believe that one of the greatest Pleasures of being a Fan ~ and our most Inalienable Right ~ is to flap one's gums about one's misguided, ignorant Opinions. Assessing Grades seems to strike some as arrogant ~ and in many cases it surely is ~ but Grades are simply the mathematical manifestation of one's Opinions.

But how do we grade the graders? I'm all for grades as a manifestation of ones opinion, but I'd also be interested in knowing how accurate that grader has been in the past. :)

But how do we grade the graders? I'm all for grades as a manifestation of ones opinion, but I'd also be interested in knowing how accurate that grader has been in the past. :)

For those of us into the draft, part of "grading the grader" comes from how those grades match our own. Personally I felt Roberts and Flowers were taken about right whereas Grid and PFF (who were judging by their own usual metric) concur on where they graded those guys. On the other hand, I was very high on Shaq Mason so I agree with Grid when he says he was undervalued.

On the other hand, it doesn't really matter. PFF says Roberts and Flowers were two of the best steals in the draft and the optimist in me thinks, fine, I'll ride with that until proven otherwise.

Don't see how someone can grade these players on ONE pre season game.

Don't see how someone can grade these players on ONE pre season game.
They're just stating who they thought were draft steals after the draft, this had nothing to do with judging their preseason performance.

How has Roberts looked in camp? I know there are a lot of veterans in front of him. Will he even make the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back